WHY does Blizzard hate Mages in MoP?

Mage
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
So many 'special' posters who claim that your argument is void yet they forget what it was like when they first hit level 90.

Here's how mage works:

85-87 - Arcane works 'ok' but you'll actually have to try when it comes to killing mobs; AoE is a little difficult
87-90 - Arcane becomes unplayable. You don't have the gear required to take advantage of the AB multiplier. As a result, you use a ton of mana on a spell that takes a long time to cast (relatively) and are SoL if you get 3 mobs linked to you.

ONLY WHEN YOU GET TO 90 AND GET HEROIC GEAR DOES ARCANE MAGE START TO PICK UP. It is ABYSMAL before then. Hence, you go frost from 87-90.

It's hilarious seeing some of you say it's a player issue when your 'experience' as a mage pretty much involves only Cataclysm. There actually is a flaw in the leveling system where arcane grows exponentially at a slow rate (in the beginning) and then almost has a linear correlation in DPS done versus gear acquired towards endgame.

I can pull 10 mobs and easily AoE crap down...at 479. When I first hit 90, don't even think about it. Our tools are very limited:

Our feign death is on a 3 minute CD
Sheep defeats the purpose of AoEing packs
Frost nova breaks quite easily
RoF is great to keep mobs in place but requires cast time
CoC is a great delay to get in when your IB/FN is down
Blink allows us to get out of harms way temporarily...but if you didn't CoC or FN, why bother blinking unless you're about to die?
IBlock is our "oh sh#t" button on a 5 minute CD

Invocation is the ideal daily grinding tool with the glyph. All sorts of wrong given its long casting duration and the fact that arcane relies on high mana. This is counter intuitive to grinding. You aren't going to be sitting in a rune most of the time (running around if you're kiting) and restores health (with the proper glyph) at the expense of chain pulling time. This means you're probably doing subpar damage using AoE grinding for arcane. Many classes are able to go from one group to the next without any down time. Our food also has minimal health returns (takes too long to return back to 80% HP).

As Arcane, Frost Bomb -> Arcane Blast -> Arcane Missiles (if it's up, and use both procs if applicable) -> Arcane Barrage -> Blink -> Arcane Blast + Arcane Barrage.

A fresh 90 using this rotation in DW will get rolled quite easily by a mob that is at 75% HP after all of that. You're literally doing less than 15k damage on the AM procs at 1 stack. Barrage just blew all your charges which should probably have been used in conjunction with frost bomb + nova + timed AE for bonus critical damage.

Snip

I suppose that would be true of arcane, but I was fire when I first hit 90 and even then with crappy gear I could still pull 6 mobs at a time.
10/23/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Vaasch
Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

QUE?!?!!?!?!?
I don't really understand it either. Im just levelling my mage, and I just feel so gear dependent and broken. My hunter is doing 30k dps at level 85 in normal dungeons, My enhcancment shammy is holding over 25k until I hit 90. I struggled to break 20k on my frost mage.

With a few upgrades Im doing over 22k now, but I don't understand is this just a gear issue or what? Why is there such a decrepency on gear dependence between classes?
02/05/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Kagecamia
Mages.......top dps in the game; still asks for buffs.

Don't make me laugh.
I remember the days when you could roll into a BG and do upmost to 3 million in damage, now I am lucky to do 300k. I'm shocked at the polymorph and the loss of time with all the cool downs and also how what I used to could hit and do some good damage is almost like a mosquito bite to the enemy.

I have to gear sets now, PVE and PVP with enchants and my stats still drop.

I miss level 1-80 and how good we were 6 months ago.
I keep hearing mages say this, but am I the only one who finds it stupidly easy to kill MoP mobs??

Seriously, when I get a daily or w/e I just pull 10 at once and nuke em all down.

We have CC's and combos for a reason

Fresh 90 with ilvl 440 or something, try pulling 10 mobs for Shieldwall dailies and let me know how it goes.

A geared mage will drop them easily, a poorly geared mage will have to Mirror Image/Invisibility and run the !@#$ away and still have a good chance of dying.
10/23/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Crystalah
I think you're exaggerating. It is no longer acceptable to frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt things to death. Learn to set up combos, its kind of a big deal for our class since FOREVER.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Their basic design philosophy had become, and they have directly acknowledged this, that they will make mages different from other classes by not allowing them to DPS effectively while moving.

That will be the unique "flavor" of mages.

This has long been death to a class in PVP and with all the mandatory extended movement in PVE it is death to a class in PVE in MoP.

Fire will be exception and currently fire is weak in PVP and terrible in PVE.

So, we have a very very depressing year ahead of us and it has absolutely nothing to do with "frostbolt spamming".
Mages are fine right now (kinda monotonous gameplay but what can you do about it xD).

-No complains unless you play enhance sham please-
10/23/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Crystalah
I think you're exaggerating. It is no longer acceptable to frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt things to death. Learn to set up combos, its kind of a big deal for our class since FOREVER.
the most intelligent thing said I have ever read...you my friend, "get it".. the others do not.
02/06/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Fizzlejinx

Fire is middle of the pack for pve and it typically beats frost.
02/06/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Fizzlejinx

Actually, Fire owns Frost once you gear up properly.
I keep hearing mages say this, but am I the only one who finds it stupidly easy to kill MoP mobs??

Seriously, when I get a daily or w/e I just pull 10 at once and nuke em all down.

We have CC's and combos for a reason

Fresh 90 with ilvl 440 or something, try pulling 10 mobs for Shieldwall dailies and let me know how it goes.

A geared mage will drop them easily, a poorly geared mage will have to Mirror Image/Invisibility and run the !@#$ away and still have a good chance of dying.

Try doing that with any class. Um...10 mobs, yeah, if you're not geared, you're gonna have trouble.

"Why cantz I have OMGWTFBBQDPS in crap gear?!!"

Really, I mean...when you're in 450 gear and you're rolling 40-50KDPS, you're in a good spot. Sure, an equally geared DK or Monk may out DPS you, but they have mad AoE.

Now, if you're in 450 gear and you only have about 28-32KDPS to show for it, the problem is you.
02/06/2013 04:14 AMPosted by Breaktheice

Hmmm, I remember doing the Fatty Goatsteak when I was in 460 gear or so.

Ice Barrier on, Evocate for Spell damage buff, group them up, Frost bomb one, and frost nova the whole pack (6 or so). Blizzard them while waiting for Frost Bomb to explode (usually around 100k damage or so). Cast another Frost Bomb, Pet Freeze and Blizz again. Once that one explodes, cast Frozen orb while always be on the move, Ice-Lancing when FoF procs.

That usually takes care of AOE packs pretty quickly.
Cle

People say this word "global" I do not think it means what they think it means. Mages cannot "global" anyone that isn't already about to die.

Thanks,
Mage

Clearly don't know how to setup burst.
I'm at a loss to understand why mages are constantly being de-powered and nerfed to the point of almost unplayability.

As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

Has Blizzard forgotten that mages wear CLOTH armor? Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

And now, with patch 5.1, they propose to REDUCE the damage that my spells do, REDUCE the damage that my (meager) protective spells absorb, while INCREASING the cost of my spells.

If Blizzard wants to do away with a class, they should have the guts to just do it, and not whittle away at it until no one wants to play the class anymore.

I'm not entirely sure we are playing the same class...
Even as a fresh 90 i wasnt finding any quests, even the shieldwall dailies, to be that hard. I found them easier at low gear levels than i did on my other characters when they were similarly undergeared. This is as arcane though, maybe is harder to PvE as frost or something, but with glyph of slow making the mobs all run at me at half time, i usually only had to take a single hit or two before whatever i was pulling was dead. Now that i am better geared things just usually dont make it to me.

@OP, if you are having issues in PvE perhaps you should look at your gear and stop using ilvl boosters while you quest. Keep the spirit rings and healer trinkets in your bags if you need them to squeeze into LFR or heroics, but don't actually use them.
Use frost spec for questing and you will be away laughing. I found arcane quite horrible in comparison, considering how immobile you are and your lack of kiting tools.