Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 21 22 23 26 Next
First post on new computer. Only missing a real storage device and permanent graphics card.

But hey, USB-based system is fine for the web-browsing, and I needed to budget things.
Bump because I hate going to the second page.
A quick question about what level of performance I should be expecting.
I am running the following hardware:

intel i5 core 3350p cpu
8gigs of 1600mhz ram
radeon hd 7870
Windows 7 home premium

Some areas of the game, such as some of the scenarios, seem to kill my FPS. I have my settings on Ultra, except for shadows turned down to high.

Do I not have a powerful enough system to be running on Ultra settings with this setup?
Do you have anti-aliasing forced anywhere, and did you change any settings in Catalyst Control Center in terms of 3D performance?
The only place I have modified graphical settings is in the game itself. I haven't gone into CCC and tinkered with anything, it would all be the default settings from the when software was installed. Anti-aliasing isn't forced anywhere that I know of, as I didn't do anything along those lines myself.
What power supply are you using, and which version driver?

Did you also try the usual WoW trick:

1) Disable all addons
2) Delete Cache folder inside WoW folder (NOT one inside Data folder)
3) Move WTF folder out of WoW folder
4) Run WoW
What power supply are you using, and which version driver?

Did you also try the usual WoW trick:

1) Disable all addons
2) Delete Cache folder inside WoW folder (NOT one inside Data folder)
3) Move WTF folder out of WoW folder
4) Run WoW

I haven't disabled all addons, that and the numbered list you provided will be my next steps then.

Also I am running an Antec Truepower New 750w PSU, which is overkill but I found for a good price at short notice when building the system and found I needed a new one.

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=1760&fid=236

As long time Linux user I am comfortable tinkering with stuff, I just didn't know where to start and wasn't sure if I was asking too much of the hardware. I have been out of gaming for awhile.

Thanks. :)

*edit Turns out I am also running an older version of the graphics driver as well. My bad. It seems I forgot to update that after installing the card.
Disabling addons alone seems to have helped a lot so I must have a culprit in there somewhere. I will be updating and checking all of those, and installing the new driver as well.

Thanks so much for the help, love this forum and your posts. So informative and helpful.
For anybody looking for a cooling solution, Newegg has a 10 dollar rebate on Hyper 212's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
Trying to decide between getting an i5-3470 with a 7950 (I'd get 7870 LE but I doubt they'll arrive in New Zealand) or a i5-3570k with a 7850 and possibly upgrading the 7850 later though I'm uncertain if I'd upgrade.

Also bump to keep the guide on the first page.
I'd recommend i5-3470 + HD 7950 over i5-3570k + HD 7850 by miles.
01/05/2013 01:32 AMPosted by Kalganized
I'd recommend i5-3470 + HD 7950 over i5-3570k + HD 7850 by miles.

Great, thanks. I suspected as much though a more informed second opinion always helps.
It's a toss-up if considering a long-term use though. But then, you will use HD 7950 for far longer than HD 7850 anyway, while Intel pumps out new CPU requiring a new motherboard once every two years.
Note:

More and more games now are being programmed with more cores in mind. This means that recent games has noticeable performance advantage on i7 vs. i5. It also means AMD FX CPUs are also displaying a strong showing in the performance ranking.

I will probably update the guide to actually allow i7 to be considered for purchase if the user intends to play latest and greatest 3D games.
Hi,

Ive been thinking to change my casing of my PC because right now its using a Elite 311 Cooler Master, Mini Tower casing.

Below are my PC Specs:

Cooler Master PSU 550W
8GB Ram
ATI Sapphire HD 6870
Asus M4A77TD Motherboard
2TB Hard Disk
3.2GHz AMD Phenom II x4
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink
Elite 311 Cooler Master casing

In my mind, these are the 3 casing Im trying to choose:

CM 690II Advanced
Corsair 400R
CM Storm Scout 2

Any suggestions which is the best?
All these three are an excellent case, so choose one that fits your aesthetic taste the best. Some things of note you might want to pay attention to:

1) Airflow quality
2) SSD bracket capacity
3) Support for all-in-one liquid coolers
4) Front USB 3.0 ports
Kal i deff need help.
Id like to build my own pc but....
I have no clue what im doing....sure with your guide i can buy the parts to build the pc...but as soon as they come in the mail ive got a bunch of stuff i dont have a clue how to peice together....

Halp?
YouTube has tons of DIY illustrated video guide to putting together the parts. NewEgg in particular has pretty in-depth one.
Kalganized, your guide inspired me to build my own desktop, and I made heavy use of the guide throughout the building process. I love how your info is so intuitive to the novice builder. Thank you for all of your hard work.
Bump, but I have no news to update. ;x

Amelica, I'm glad it has helped you. :D