New iMacs

Mac Technical Support
Nobody's posted anything so I figured I'd ask the question of the day (for myself).

Will the new iMacs be able to support WoW? More importantly, play it well?
They'll have 4 graphic cards starting with NVIDIA GeForce 640M 512MB and going clear up to the high end aka/priciest iMac which will have a BTO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.

Seeing as I have a Mid-2007 iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB, I'm sure no matter what, a new computer would probably be better than the current. I'm just leary whether the new graphic cards are suitable for WoW or even the new iMacs.

Yes, techie n00b so maybe somebody can enlighten me?
I would recommend NOTHING less than BTO 680MX because in all honesty, that's about the only thing that will out perform last years models. They really cheaped out on mobile parts. The more they shrink it the weaker they get. The generation gap between this one and last barely makes up for the power loss they keep getting shrinking it. It's a DESKTOP machine, why they have to keep making it into a macbook pro you can't bring iwth you is beyond me.

Thankfully, since does NOT have a retina display, it isn't like the macbook pros which have underwhelming graphics cards trying to push a ppi/resolution that's outside the recommended boundries for gaming. It'll probably be a decent gaming machine if you get right vid card. if you get one of the 512s you will be very disapointed just putting that out now. You'll probably be disapointed even with the 1gig vid card when you can't run ultra on your brand new machine. I know i would be if I bought a mac today that couldn't run ultra, most cheap pcs can with a sandy bridge and decent gpu. the premium apple charges for pretty and tiny for a DESKTOP machine is upsetting to say the least. Me, i shall wait for that promised mac pro refresh in 2013.

If you do get an imac, only get it if you intend to go all out on vid card and choose highest cpu speed, everything else, cheap out on it and get after market (ie ram, hard drive, etc). Assuming of course it's not glued together like retina macbooks and made unservicable by non apple techs without voiding warrenty
Supposed to boast it! Lol. Now I'm totally unsure if I should just go the PC route since tbh, that high end w/BTO chip is just going to be so super expensive knowing Apple. TBH though, I don't even know what the game looks like at Ultra. >.<
Hackintosh. Build one.
Yeah, I kind of noticed how thin that was. My first thought was "oh great, another laptop HD. Sure it's a hybrid drive (SSD/platter combo), but...ugh. Then I noticed it was really thin. As in thinner than my Samsung LED TV, which means heat. Tucking in a the components directly behind an LCD display is a surefire way to trap heat in there. It's sort of like your tablets that heat up a lot when watching videos or playing games, only...worse. Much worse. And with how thin it is, if they do have a blower in there, it either doesn't push a lot of air in order to maintain low noise levels, or is so loud you'll want to smash the computer with a sledgehammer.

My soul for a mid-tower that fits nicely between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. They'd sell like crazy. Apple went all form and no function for these new iMacs. And loathe to be an AST that has to deal with the inevitable repairs on such a claustrophobic machine.

The 680MX is a SERIOUS upgrade though.... It's a downclocked version of the desktop 680. Not based on the 670.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-680mx
Tiapriestess,

I am paranoid about heat!

I come from a corporate computing background where most of the hardware I've worked with is Ferrari prices through to multi million dollar systems. My kit is typically in data centres with very powerful air conditioning, and could not be powered in an office environment simply because that much fan operation would deafen anyone near it.

So when it came to building my own systems, I went all out. My main PC for World of Warcraft was s 12 fanned beast, 2 power supplies - the works. And $$$$.

But a couple of years back, I had a hardware malfunction and was forced to install Wow on the iMac I purchased for my Mum (previous generation).

I was impressed by two things:
1. How fast it was given the specs (OS X is *much* more efficient than Windows for a start)
2. How cool and quiet is ran - especially compared to the PC

I don't think you'll have an issue. The iMac's are made from aluminium, which has excellent cooling characteristics. The whole system will be hot to the touch, but that's a good sign. It means less reliance on fans, because the whole system acts as a heat sink.
Secondly, the fan and ducting design of Apple seems to be unmatched in the personal computing world. I've had to repair many a desktop and laptop in my time, and opening Apples, versus Asus, IBM, Dell, HP etc.... there is no comparison.
(Although I'll add here that my multi-million dollar systems do trump it..... but you pay for what you get).

Regarding reliability.... In my experience, there is a much lower fault rate with the Apple systems. They think of the smallest details with their designs compared with other manufacturers. Then on top of that, they back it with the best service. (Once again, in the personal computing world).

I hate faults. I've chose the wrong suppliers in business before. Choose one brand for 100+ desktop systems and you start to see crappy brands and their crappy support at their worst.
So far, Apple has proven to be very low fault (particularly their iMac's), and extremely good service for when things go wrong.

I would highly recommend the latest iMac on experience.
I was excited to see the launch of a new line of iMacs. I've been waiting for un upgrade for more than eight months or so. But I'm surprised to see such critical opinions in this thread! I'd be keen to hear more of what people think about the new line and how they'll run with games like WoW.
meh, my imac is 5 years old and do this game fine at 30 fps with most at min. I probably plan to buy new computer (yet to decide what) after Jan or so.
10/24/2012 04:59 PMPosted by Kate
I was excited to see the launch of a new line of iMacs. I've been waiting for un upgrade for more than eight months or so. But I'm surprised to see such critical opinions in this thread! I'd be keen to hear more of what people think about the new line and how they'll run with games like WoW.

They'll run it just fine. They'll run it better if you max out the GPU and (if it's easily installed) get your own RAM upgrade. It'll be interesting to see how the hybrid drive works for somebody that plays a lot of WoW and/or D3 - fitting both on the SSD portion of the drive with the OS files should prove interesting in terms of performance.

Yeah, like i said in my post. don't get anything but the 680, anything less is just so much less.

especially smaller imac. the 20 inch model, do not even bother, or even look at it for gaming. forget it. it has no good card options. 640 or 650, and not eve a 1gig vram 650, a 512 650. it's just no good. that doesn't cut it anymore.

i also want to see how heat is. i wn't be surprised in least bit if these things are plagued with overheat threads on wow forums when they ship blaming blizzard for apple's bad design. We've seen it for years for macbooks, these imacs probably won't be much different.

i'm also disapointed that with exception of highest end model and a custom BTO option, they opted for i5s in all of them. i7 is only used in highest end model as a BTO. ivy bridge is not that much of an upgrade over sandy bridge, so stepping down to a more compact and less power hungry version to slip into a tiny case for a terrible new design comes off weak to me. there was just no reason for the form factor to be this small, it's not a laptop. they just seemed all around to lower end the parts in most of the models to do the shrink, vs the older 2011 model. That's my chief complaint. they call it an upgrade but in reality because of reshape, a lot of it is downgrade. newer gen hardware, but lower end this time then when it was current gen last refresh, if that makes sense.
To DL/DR Omegal's post: Form over function. Plain and simple.

I fear for what the new Mac Pros will (or will not) have in them next year...

To DL/DR Omegal's post: Form over function. Plain and simple.

I fear for what the new Mac Pros will (or will not) have in them next year...

Oh come on... Seriously.

The top 27 inch is a complete monster.
How is this form over function? This thing is going to scream.

People have been begging Apple for years to put in a graphics chip as high end as the 680mx. And now it's an option. Even the 675mx is going to be more than enough for most people.

Apart from some people being disappointed by the 21inch (which I completely understand), I have no idea what people are moaning about.
I'm not referring to the GPU Boland. I'm referring to the very likely string of heat related issues that are bound to crop up with such a thin design with those components inside.

You've got the display and the electronic components sandwiched inside that thing with not much room for heat dissipation outside of making the chassis do all the heat dissipation (meaning don't touch it after it's been on a while).

I'm sorry to disappoint you Omegal , but you are wrong. The GTX 675MX and the GTX 680MX are powerful mobile graphic cards. You can't get anything higher than that, besides a SLI System, which is not even supported by many Mac OS X Games.

I'm am curenntly running a Mac Mini 2010 Mid System, which has a 320M Graphic card and it runs Left 4 Dead 2, World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 pretty smoothly, even on 1920 x 1080 pixel.

So you have to consider, that even the standard model, which is the GT 640M , is a powerful graphic card. (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M.71579.0.html)

The Game Benchmarks show a very decent FPS Range between mid and high settings.

Since we are in a World of Warcraft Forum, I'm assuming that we are talking about the performance about that game and I can tell you right now, that you can even play World of Warcraft on High Settings even with the standard model. With shadow offs.

If you are planing on playing more powerful games, like Battlefield 3, you should lower your resolution.

The graphic memory will be shared with the RAM it comes with, which is 8GB. So you will be fine with that.

The 27" inch Models, especially the top model, you will be able to play on Ultra.
Only the Intel series chipsets use system memory as VRAM (one of the reasons they're so slow). The others, including the nVidia chipsets, use GDDR5 dedicated RAM. And if on a current level machine you have to play with Shadows set to Off, then that isn't really a powerful GPU now, is it? Think about that for a minute...

The 680MX is a massive step up from the 640M. It's like going from a 7450M (Radeon) to a 7950M. Mobile chipsets have low end and high end just like desktop chipsets do, and that 640M is low end in the current generation.

With the shadows off, I'm just letting you know, its taking too much power of performance. You can have other settings higher and just keep the Shadows off or on level 1.

I mean you can play with it, but then you have to sacrifice other Graphic Settings.

640M is not low, its in midrange. It's a grateful mobile graphic card, compared to the previous generations in the iMacs, MacBooks Pro and Mac Minis.
10/26/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Xynlovesit
640M is not low, its in midrange. It's a grateful mobile graphic card, compared to the previous generations in the iMacs, MacBooks Pro and Mac Minis.

That's the point. Compared to previous generations. Current gen, it's low end, and in case you didn't notice, it comes with a scant 512 MB VRAM. That doesn't cut it for WoW's current state. That's the reason you need to CTO the 680MX when you get the 27" model. You not only get more power, you get much, much more VRAM to play with. And that VRAM alone is the biggest boost for when you play on High/Ultra view distance.

If I want to play World of Warcraft on High/Ultra, then I get a PC. Those graphic cards , stating from 640M lets you play World of Warcraft on decent graphic settings, even other games are able to play like Anno 2070 or Battlefield 3. Thats the point. They could have put in a HD4000 if they wanted to.

I'm very happy with this upgrade and looking forward to it. It's just a feature it gives me, that I'm able to play World of Warcraft. It's not a requirement for me, when I buy a Mac, but its a nice to have. So if you only getting the iMac 27" with the GTX680M to play World of Warcraft on Ultra, then I'm afraid to tell you, that the Mac isn't your option.
10/23/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Alia
Hackintosh. Build one.

Im rocking on a Hackintosh with a GTX 680, 16GB ram and an i7.

OSX ML 10.8.2 works perfectly.

No it is NOT illegal (read). I own two macs and other ipod produts and I bought ML from apple.

I just need something powerful and affordable. The new Mac Pros are no where in sight and a decent one is $2k plus.

Anyway the GTX 680 gives me about 40-100 FPS in stormwind city and 90-190 FPS everywhere else under OS X.

On Windows its 10000% better performance obviously. 100+ FPS everywhere.