Ironforge guards don't have a clue

New Player Help and Guides
The Ironforge guards can't tell you where the riding trainer is. I have wasted almost an hour running around trying to find it, and I really don't understand why it should be so hard to find. I haven't been able to get help because my server is dead and there are a whole 4 or 5 people in Ironforge and they haven't responded in chat.

Isn't this a bit of an oversight? Everyone learns riding - why would the devs not bother to program the guards at Ironforge with the location for the riding trainer?

I suppose I could go to Exodar - the Dranei actually bothered to put their trainer in an obvious place. But why should I have to waste the time to boat to another continent when I'm already in a major city?

Come on! Seriously! This is frustrating.
The dwarven riding trainer isn't in Ironforge, which would be why the guards can't direct you to it.

If you specifically need the dwarven trainer, he should be found with the mount vendor at Amberstill ranch to the east of IF along the road.

Barring that I would suggest using the Stormwind one as it is right next to the flight master.
I don't know if this has changed, but it used to be that you had to visit your races specific riding trainer in order to train your first level of riding. After that, I believe you can train further riding skills at any riding trainer.

This may have changed, I'm not 100% sure, but that's how it used to be.

edit: and if that is indeed the case, then you will need to go to see the riding trainer in Stormwind since the OP (Original Poster) is human.
But why should I have to waste the time to boat to another continent when I'm already in a major city?

because exploring is part of the game. and because the guy you're looking for is in Khrakanos (sp?).
All that smoke and steam, plus large quantities of beer has probably killed brain cells. Plus Light only knows what chemicals the gnomes are releasing in the air. So really, it's not their fault if they forget where stuff is.

Except for all the beer drinking. That's on them.
10/24/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Robokapp
because exploring is part of the game. and because the guy you're looking for is in Khrakanos (sp?).

He's at amberstill ranch, which is off the road to Loch Modan. The gnome one is at Steelgrill's depot.

OP: There's also one in Stormwind in the Old Town district, and another one in Darnassus by the big tree with all of the melee combat trainers in it.

I'm not sure why the riding trainer for Ironforge is all the way out there, but the Ironforge guards only know the location of things within their area (Ironforge). If you wander outside and ask a guard patrolling the main road below Ironforge, he'll likely know.
Learning riding from the Dwarves at Amberstill Ranch won't allow you to purchase one of their rams to ride. You'll have to have an exalted reputation with IF to do that.

You'd be better off learning riding from the Humans in either Old Ton in Stormwind or the Eastvale Logging Camp in Elwynn Forest where you can buy a horse mount as well as learning how to ride.
10/24/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Nok
You'll have to have an exalted reputation with IF to do that.

Unless he's talking about needing it on a dwarf character that he has, not the human he's posting with.
There is also a riding instructor at steelgrill's depot near Khronos, a short flight from ironforge and a 30 secondish walk down the road. :D As far as I know, anyone can buy a mechanical bird there to ride for 90 silver
08/10/2016 01:32 PMPosted by Perewinkle
There is also a riding instructor at steelgrill's depot near Khronos, a short flight from ironforge and a 30 secondish walk down the road. :D As far as I know, anyone can buy a mechanical bird there to ride for 90 silver

Check time stamps on posts.