Quest lines all screwed up

General Discussion
I have a complaint. I dont know if blizzard got lazy, they released the game before it was finished, or they did it intentionally to make people frustrated or just to make them think hard. Here is the issue. Me and my groupmates play the game for the sole reason of doing the quest content at this moment. We love the new story lines and great cut scenes. The problem is however that there are way to many quest lines that are broken or dead ends to no-where.

1. We started in jade forest everything went well until the last fight where the boss was not where he was supposed to be. And it didnt send us all over the map to get the explorer tag.

2. We get to VO4W and about half way thru the lines it sends you to 3 adjacent zones when you are not even down with the second one.

3. We get to the last town in VO4W and it just dead ends and never sends us to nesarywing, so we went over there on our own and got the last quests to get the zone finished. We head down to the 3rd zone and get all the way to temple when it sends us back to VO4W without going to the last part of the zone. So we got the savior achievement in VO4W and again dead ends with nothing saying to go to any linkingquests.

My question is what happend to all the linking quests???? We done all of them in order just to lead into dead ends which ruins the cohesiveness of the quest lines!!!!!
People complained a lot in Cata that the quest lines were "too linear", like you were on rails and had no option but to do them in the exact order given.

So for MoP, they made some of them "free exploration" in that some of the quests will not have leadins. You just find them by exploring. Like the nessingwary ones.
Ok ty I havent been up on the forums lately. Was wondering why it was like that. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bug and id miss out on something. Ty for your response!!!
10/22/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Phearing
Ok ty I havent been up on the forums lately. Was wondering why it was like that. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bug and id miss out on something. Ty for your response!!!

Also, if you don't want to get confused with the story of Townlong stepps. Do Kun-lai and THEN que for the monastery. Stepps feels a bit off if you don't finish kun lai and monastery.
People complained a lot in Cata that the quest lines were "too linear", like you were on rails and had no option but to do them in the exact order given.

So for MoP, they made some of them "free exploration" in that some of the quests will not have leadins. You just find them by exploring. Like the nessingwary ones.

This is correct. A lot of the quest hubs are kind of modular, in that you can choose the order in which you do them. And instead of giving you a single achievement for completing all the quests in a zone, we have sub-achievements for completing each story arc. Complete all story arcs in a zone and you'll get the achievement.

What this means is you might sometimes complete a more central or climatic story arc in a zone before finishing all the quest hubs in that zone. That still doesn't mean you should ever be left without a "breadcrumb quest" to take you to the next zone. As far as I recall there isn't a single zone that doesn't have some lead-in quest telling you where to go your first time there.

You'll frequently be given "breadcrumb quests" that lead you to different hubs, sometimes across multiple zones. As an example, when you hit Valley of the Four Winds, you're pretty quickly given the option to go to either Kun-Lai or Krasarang. It's up to you to choose where to go and what to do first in the valley, Krasarang, or Kun-Lai. If you really want to vary up the scenery and your quest experience, you can even jump around between zones.

That said, as you mentioned there are also some quest hubs that have no "breadcrumb quests" to lead you there. We like the feel of discovering characters out in the world who could use your help, any maybe even unveil some awesome story moments that aren't necessarily integral to the primary story arcs in each zone. They're like little bonuses to give you access to more backstory on Pandaria or the inhabitants and explorers there, and they're also required for the achievements to complete all story arcs in a zone.

To make sure these "isolated" hubs where you aren't expressly sent via a quest aren't totally missed, you'll notice we added new exclamation points on your map to point them out. So while you're questing around a zone, be sure to check your map. Not only will you see where all the flight points are (even ones you haven't discovered yet), you'll see exclamation points at hubs you'll need to find on your own (like Nesingwary in the valley).
There is actually a lead in to the Nessingwary hub. The quest text from completing the tiger blood quest from the goblin chick tells you where to look, it just doesn't mark it on the map.
MoP questing, with the varying ways one can quest through each zone, is by far superior to previous questing and, to me, is easily the best questing experience of WoW.
The main problem with the questing experience in mists was you linked the storylines of valley of the four winds and krasarang wilds together.

Now, this may not have been a bad thing necessarily, as the last character I leveled on beta when you made it long was able to do both zones before being shunted along to kun-lai. However, in the live game, you can't go to valley of the four winds right away at 85, you have to hit 86. Then you have to do some of the valley quests before moving onto krasarang. This might not be so bad, but the quests in krasarang seem to be lv85, defying all logic to the progression in terms of experience.

The nerf to exp needed, the last one, killed quest flow. That or you needed to be able to choose from the beginning jade forest or wilds. That also would have made sense.
10/22/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Zarhym
To make sure these "isolated" hubs where you aren't expressly sent via a quest aren't totally missed, you'll notice we added new exclamation points on your map to point them out. So while you're questing around a zone, be sure to check your map. Not only will you see where all the flight points are (even ones you haven't discovered yet), you'll see exclamation points at hubs you'll need to find on your own (like Nesingwary in the valley).

In all honesty, I think it would be cooler to have some minor quest hubs that take some REAL exploring to get to. No bread crumbs and no map exclamation points. Maybe something deep in a cave that takes a minute to walk down in to so not even a flying mount will get you there.

Just a thought. I liked the quests, but the exclamation marks on the map leading me to some places felt kind of like I was still being led there.
10/22/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Baneusprime
There is actually a lead in to the Nessingwary hub. The quest text from completing the tiger blood quest from the goblin chick tells you where to look, it just doesn't mark it on the map.

well it is marked on the map in a way since all quest hubs that you can do are now marked on the map.

also is it weird that I feel a little bit like a hipster in the fact that I posted on a thread right before a blue?

The main problem with the questing experience in mists was you linked the storylines of valley of the four winds and krasarang wilds together.

Now, this may not have been a bad thing necessarily, as the last character I leveled on beta when you made it long was able to do both zones before being shunted along to kun-lai. However, in the live game, you can't go to valley of the four winds right away at 85, you have to hit 86. Then you have to do some of the valley quests before moving onto krasarang. This might not be so bad, but the quests in krasarang seem to be lv85, defying all logic to the progression in terms of experience.

The nerf to exp needed, the last one, killed quest flow. That or you needed to be able to choose from the beginning jade forest or wilds. That also would have made sense.

For lore purposes I found it best to do all the stuff in jade, then move to valley and then go to Ken ken first then work my way to bramble staff after doing the red crane quests. The quests feel the most smooth if you do them this way, at least to me.

as far as leveling goes, I can't really speak on that because when MoP hit I pretty much said "to heck with my level" and just focus on the story.

That said, as you mentioned there are also some quest hubs that have no "breadcrumb quests" to lead you there. We like the feel of discovering characters out in the world who could use your help, any maybe even unveil some awesome story moments that aren't necessarily integral to the primary story arcs in each zone. They're like little bonuses to give you access to more backstory on Pandaria or the inhabitants and explorers there, and they're also required for the achievements to complete all story arcs in a zone.

Doesn't marking quest hubs on the map that the player is suppose to discover thru exploration kinda defeat the purpose of those quests?
10/22/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Sophex
n all honesty, I think it would be cooler to have some minor quest hubs that take some REAL exploring to get to. No bread crumbs and no map exclamation points. Maybe something deep in a cave that takes a minute to walk down in to so not even a flying mount will get you there.

well there is a quest in valley that you get after you kill a croc. As far as I know I just found it by accident because i've played wow long enough to go "hmm this thing is named but dosn't have a ! by its name...I wonder what happens when I attack it" I also did it with LiLi so that was priceless

oh and there is another quest in the dread wastes you get after you kill this huge clam.

and while it's not a quest there is this weird easy egg with some lobster men that end up giving you a item called "lobstmorne"

these are just the ones i've found and can think of at the top of my head
10/22/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Athinah
n all honesty, I think it would be cooler to have some minor quest hubs that take some REAL exploring to get to. No bread crumbs and no map exclamation points. Maybe something deep in a cave that takes a minute to walk down in to so not even a flying mount will get you there.

well there is a quest in valley that you get after you kill a croc. As far as I know I just found it by accident because i've played wow long enough to go "hmm this thing is named but dosn't have a ! by its name...I wonder what happens when I attack it" I also did it with LiLi so that was priceless

oh and there is another quest in the dread wastes you get after you kill this huge clam.

and while it's not a quest there is this weird easy egg with some lobster men that end up giving you a item called "lobstmorne"

These are all really cool. In my head, i think it would be "epic" if I found this hole at say the bottom of an ocean, no bigger than a character model, and after swimming in it I find almost like a hidden village with rep and everything. Rewards for some "real" exploring.
10/22/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Sophex
These are all really cool. In my head, i think it would be "epic" if I found this hole at say the bottom of an ocean, no bigger than a character model, and after swimming in it I find almost like a hidden village with rep and everything. Rewards for some "real" exploring.

It's too bad that would never happen and/or wouldnt stay a hidden thing long. I wish datamining didnt happen :(
The new questing model is awesome, imo. I like being able to fly to a random area in a zone and be able to pick up quests while not missing out on the story. =P

This is correct. A lot of the quest hubs are kind of modular, in that you can choose the order in which you do them. And instead of giving you a single achievement for completing all the quests in a zone, we have sub-achievements for completing each story arc. Complete all story arcs in a zone and you'll get the achievement.

I have, so far, greatly preferred this approach to the Cata one. I think it was the right choice and, if anything, I feel like there's still probably too much bread crumbing. A suggestion I'd have for future expansions/major quest content is the ability to flag certain quests as "story" quests so that people who want to progress through the unique story of the zone know what they have to do and what's a "bonus" quest. That way there's no confusion about what's an extra quest and what's essential to unlocking cut scenes, achievements. In the past (read any time before Wrath) this wouldn't have been needed because people, generally, expected to have to go looking for stuff at least a part of the time and the stories in zones usually focused around dungeons. Think about Zangarmarsh, for example, and how the conclusion of that zone resulted in exploring and questing in Slave Pens, The Underbog, Steamvaults, and SSC. Today, much of the story content is being delivered in the game world and I think if that's the approach, it's fair to let people know that if they want to get the most out of the story, maybe mark the Story Quests you need to pay attention to. I can definitely see how players coming from Wrath/Cata would be confused over whether, for example, they needed to blow up 5 fish in Jade Forest to move the main quest line forward or if that was just a fun, novel bonus quest.

The problem with "real" exploring in modern day MMO's is that the second someone finds it, everyone finds it and it is no longer hidden.

Toss in the data mining that mmo-champ does(i no longer visit the site for that reason) and it is almost impossible to add real exploring to this game.
The problem with "real" exploring in modern day MMO's is that the second someone finds it, everyone finds it and it is no longer hidden.

Toss in the data mining that mmo-champ does(i no longer visit the site for that reason) and it is almost impossible to add real exploring to this game.

True. It's saddening to me really. I don't use mmochampion so it would be exploring for those that don't use these sites. Just those that are looking for just the rewards are going to be able to go there. /cry It's a hopeless dream it seems.

I know it's not quite what you had in mind but just wanted to show that there are some things in the game in case it helped at all.