whats the point of LFR

General Discussion
10/23/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Lena
The point of LFR is to allow players that don't otherwise have the means to raid to see the content.

Correct! It's become more than that since then, but we realized that we were investing a lot of effort in content that only a few very dedicated players would see. While we have always believed that raiding is important, we also wanted to provide a way for more players to see some of the most exciting content we were working on, and Raid Finder was the result of that effort.
The point of LFR is to allow players that don't otherwise have the means to raid to see the content.

Correct! It's become more than that since then, but we realized that we were investing a lot of effort in content that only a few very dedicated players would see. While we have always believed that raiding is important, we also wanted to provide a way for more players to see some of the most exciting content we were working on, and Raid Finder was the result of that effort.

So why stagger out the content? If you want players to become more exposed to the *Most exciting* content, that "do not otherwise have the means to raid", then release it at the same rate you release normals?

It doesn't make much sense to me to stagger Raid Finder content Unless of course you are simply trying to slow progression. That is what Hard Modes are for though yes?
the point of LFR is so gamers of this game can play the content of the game. Since so many players use it, I personally think that is kind of sad. Not because they are using LFR, but because they needed that feature to actually experience said content in the first place in this game.

Edit: Also, think about the most famous and most popular games ever made. Guess what? All gamers of those games actually played the entire game... just something to think about.
Being that I have a wife, children, a job...sticking to a raid schedule is not for me. Also, I'm just not that good!

I joined during Cata so never had it any other way but I will tell you this...If there is game content that I could not see because I'm just not that hardcore, then I would not play. Simple as that.

With all of its failings, I really enjoy LFR. Better on Tuesday than on Sunday but still way more fun and exciting than the rest of the content.

/Salute
Wonder if anyone can answer this... do sigils count as a piece of loot, like if you win a sigil you can't get a piece of loot? Including the use of coins, I am 1 for 20 with loot drops in LFR. 20 total rolls, 1 piece of loot. But I do have 4 sigils.
10/23/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Daxxarri

And I'm really happy you did... LFR was implemented after I quit a while ago, but now that I'm back I'm looking forward to experiencing the MoP raids! I think it will be the first time I've seen raid content since ICC, and the first time I'll have completed a raid since TotC.
How does participation look compared to Cataclysm? Queue times are far longer and none of my friends even bother with it anymore because of the poor chance to actually receive loot for time invested in queuing and completing the raid.

My own opinion is I don't think your chance to receive loot took into consideration that players can still run LFR who don't need drops off of every boss. If everyone already had tier gloves in LFR my chances to get tier gloves went up dramatically.
10/23/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Tyrven

It is one thing to want ppl to see the content, but lets not call it exciting. At any given time 5 to 10 ppl are doing nothing and it doesn't matter since the content is so watered down. This is about as exciting as thinking you are going to play in a NFL game then show up and find out it is really Pop Warner.

It is one thing to let ppl cruise their way through a LFR run that is only made challenging by the amount of idiots you have to deal with in the group, flaming each other, pulling mobs and leaving or any other silliness that goes on in there. It is much like being told if you watch 30 minutes of anal spam in trade you will get some epics.

I am not saying remove it or anything like that. Plenty of ppl seem to love it and the ones that don't can just avoid it. Calling it something its not repeatedly is getting silly. You can put a ribbon and a crown on a pig, it is still a pig though.

The content itself, at least to me, is exciting. Sounds like you are throwing in the un-exciting circumstances that people have to deal with while enjoying the exciting content.
I like to use it for to bridge the gap between heroic dungeons and reg raids, honestly. Also then when I go into regular raids, I don't feel as blind and unfamiliar with it.
And loot is nice. I like loot. Plus it can be fun if you get a decent group....but that's pretty rare.
It doesn't make much sense to me to stagger Raid Finder content Unless of course you are simply trying to slow progression. That is what Hard Modes are for though yes?

LFR raids are not part of progression.
Progression goes from heroic dungeons to normal raids.
Not via LFR raids.

As the blue said, LFR was to allow non-raiders (the majority of the player base) to see the raid content.

Many players have incorporated LFR into their progression "ladder" but it was not originally designed to be part of progression.

And there are people who would love to raid and want the gear but are not in a raiding guild, are in the military and can't be on a regular raid schedule etc.
10/23/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Aarschott

LFR raids are not part of progression.
Progression goes from heroic dungeons to normal raids.
Not via LFR raids.

As the blue said, LFR was to allow non-raiders (the majority of the player base) to see the raid content.

Many players have incorporated LFR into their progression "ladder" but it was not originally designed to be part of progression.

Good luck getting into a decent raiding guild sporting heroic blues.
Whether you like it or not, LFR has become a part of progression.
I have now done the equivalent of 24 LFR bosses. I say equivalent because I have spent 9 tokens for the last 3 weeks and killed all the bosses. I have gotten exactly 0 drops other than gold in those 3 weeks. The new LFR loot system sucks and the chance of receiving something really needs to be raised.

As long as you ignore the progression guilds who did it and are doing it without LFR.

Also, I'm proof LFR works, because of luck, I'm the best geared Shaman on my server. At 2/6 vaults. And I didn't even run today, yet.
10/23/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Aarschott

Then doesnt that make them raiders or do you mean players who dont like raiding and get them to see the raid content?
but we realized that we were investing a lot of effort in content that only a few very dedicated players would see

What does one mean with the word "few," 1%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%? And when you mean dedicated players, does that include the many casual PuGs that saw content even though the developers said that raids designed with only organized guilds in mind?

Well there are already PuGs going 4-5 bosses in. A few month from now though and the expectation for better gear is a given regardless of PuG or guild.