Extended Maintenance - 11/13

General Discussion
Prev 1 103 104 105 106 Next
I just wonder why it is that Blizzard cannot perform updates on servers that are not being used. I mean they have enough of our money to have another backup so that they can make these updates on them while we play on the used servers, then bring them down and fire up the new servers with the updates in no more than 15 minutes. Just sayin
I wish every one of you complaining would be able to play in vanilla again, to experience extended maintenance every week, have 7 hours downtime minimal every week, to log into game breaking bugs and other issues. It is TWO HOURS, GET OVER IT. Go down some errands, for people in school do homework, you can and will survive two hours, it isn't bad, remove the golden spoon from your mouth and realize you HAVE IT REALLY GOOD.
So many tears in this thread from selfish, entitled brats. Delicious.

I, on the other hand, have been making great use of this extended maintenance by watching my favorite broadcaster on Twitch.
11/13/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Holidae
I just wonder why it is that Blizzard cannot perform updates on servers that are not being used. I mean they have enough of our money to have another backup so that they can make these updates on them while we play on the used servers, then bring them down and fire up the new servers with the updates in no more than 15 minutes. Just sayin

This is so highly impractical it's mind boggling that someone even suggested it.

Backups, as you refer to them, are stored as compressed data files. They aren't like raw, accessible data, on the servers we interact with. Even your basic home operating system compresses the backups it creates. They can't just "update the backup server set" then move us onto it, that data isn't stored in a readily usable format.

To implement what you're proposing would literally require duplicating every server they have, and then only using one of them at any given time for actual game play. That's not only a massive waste of resources on every level, we'd still be subjected to downtime to bring the "backup," as you call them, online. It wouldn't be just a simple matter of flipping a switch to move us over to the other system.
I agree while i'm probably not as upset as you about it,it's something that bothers me quite a bit. I remember specifically reading that blizzard changed the world bosses to NOT SPAWN right after reset/maintenance of the server.
So many tears in this thread from selfish, entitled brats. Delicious.

I, on the other hand, have been making great use of this extended maintenance by watching my favorite broadcaster on Twitch.

I spent it by reading the rage here, playing with my cat, and catching up on national news.

I'm no worse for wear, my cat is pleased, and I'm more well informed. Oh, and entertained by the rage of course. ;p
11/13/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Chronoswrath
I wish every one of you complaining would be able to play in vanilla again, to experience extended maintenance every week, have 7 hours downtime minimal every week, to log into game breaking bugs and other issues. It is TWO HOURS, GET OVER IT. Go down some errands, for people in school do homework, you can and will survive two hours, it isn't bad, remove the golden spoon from your mouth and realize you HAVE IT REALLY GOOD.
was 4hrs
Blizz, you're awesome. Keep up the good work. I work in IT and have for 20 years. Don't pay attention to the whiners, drama queens, and those on the forums who are mad at your Tuesday maintenance. Some of these whiners are probably pissed because they can't run their bots today from stolen accounts. They can't hide behind their characters today after skipping school, so they can spam trade chat dropping the F bomb. They can't queue up for runs and raids, and pull the bosses and quickly exiting while everyone else wipes.

While you work hard Blizz putting out the most amazing content I've ever had the pleasure to play on, please know that intelligent gamers "are" the majority of your player base. I would be surprised if those who constantly complain have an IQ that reaches even double digits.

We love you Blizz! We know about maintenance, and how it ultimately makes for even better gameplay.

Night
So here's a thought process some of the whiney, entitled people in this thread should adopt.

Just write off Tuesday, during the morning (and into the afternoon for us east coasters), just assume there is going to be maintenance and write the time off. That way when there is no maintenance you are pleasantly surprised and you get extra playtime and when there IS maintenance you already expected it, so you're not let down.

Regardless, every one of you people whining about this should grow up and get a back-up hobby, because WoW isn't always gonna do it for you.
So here's a thought process some of the whiney, entitled people in this thread should adopt.

Just write off Tuesday, during the morning (and into the afternoon for us east coasters), just assume there is going to be maintenance and write the time off. That way when there is no maintenance you are pleasantly surprised and you get extra playtime and when there IS maintenance you already expected it, so you're not let down.

Regardless, every one of you people whining about this should grow up and get a back-up hobby, because WoW isn't always gonna do it for you.

That's excellent advice, it's what I chose to do years ago.

Having played this game since the year it debuted, I came to learn from experience rather quickly that Tuesdays were pretty much a WoW free day (Anyone from back then will know why I say that). On the off chance that such an event didn't come to pass, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise, I'd have expected it anyway and would have filled my leisure time in other ways. No harm, no foul.
What I don't understand is why this needed downtime starts at 5 am PDT...thats 8 am EDT, 7 am CDT ??? why not start at 12 am PDT so most of the players that live on the east coast ( and you can't tell me the EDT and CDT zones don't hold a larger portion of the player base than the other 2 time zones ) don't lose so many hours to downtime. Wouldn't that be better for the player base as a whole ??
11/13/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Bapster
What I don't understand is why this needed downtime starts at 5 am PDT...thats 8 am EDT, 7 am CDT ??? why not start at 12 am PDT so most of the players that live on the east coast ( and you can't tell me the EDT and CDT zones don't hold a larger portion of the player base than the other 2 time zones ) don't lose so many hours to downtime. Wouldn't that be better for the player base as a whole ??

Ok well let me give you a lesson in business because clearly you feel you are the only one in the world with any brains. It is not just about PLAYER base or where you are from , and I hate to point out you are not the only country playing this game but it may just may have something to do with Staff costs, you I assume believe BLIZZ staff all work for free and they should be avail to work whenever it is conv for you or your time zone?. And Please done reply with a waffle on of BS about unhappy customers all going to cancel subscriptions.. THIS has been said only a million or 2 times before you majortity are still here. This is how it is and as many have pointed out it is FARRRRRRR better then way back when this game first started.

Get over it pettle so you can't play your little game when you want too Whoopi here is something novel spend some time with Family or friends get a life.
I totally agree Spites in my house it's "pantless tuesday" and midget p orn .Now if the maintenance is too long hell i don't even care cuz it's ...Pantless midget p or n day. :D
I completely Agree. this 3pm PST for me is 5pm. So you're telling me If I wake up at 9am I have to wait till 5pm just to play a game I am paying for. I'm a Chef and if I tell a guest it will be their buffet will be ready by 1pm it better be ready or I'm refunding money. I don't get much time to play WoW but when I do I expect to be able to play. I know people are working on scheduled maintenance but shut down the servers earlier on Monday night instead of it being closed all day on Tues

Your analogy is in error, as most Real Life : Video Game analogies are.

If I walked into your restaurant and you had me accept a waiver that said something along the lines of "Food may not be served at previously stated times, Food may not arrive in a timely manner, We reserve the right to adjust when your food will be available for you to eat, etc." and I accept that waiver, I'd have no right to complain if I didn't get my food by the time I think I should have.

When you agree to the Terms of Use/EULA for this game there is a provision in it that states all of the above, insofar as access to this game is concerned (It was quoted directly earlier in this thread). We're made aware that it can happen, and we accept that when we log in. Having accepted that, we have no ground to then later complain about it.

The onus is upon them to make it known, and they did. Whether or not that's acceptable to you, well you can decide that by keeping or closing your account.
I completely Agree. this 3pm PST for me is 5pm. So you're telling me If I wake up at 9am I have to wait till 5pm just to play a game I am paying for. I'm a Chef and if I tell a guest it will be their buffet will be ready by 1pm it better be ready or I'm refunding money. I don't get much time to play WoW but when I do I expect to be able to play. I know people are working on scheduled maintenance but shut down the servers earlier on Monday night instead of it being closed all day on Tues

This may come as a shock but the world doesn't revolve around you or anyone else complaining in these threads. Blizzard typically does a great job with the maintenance and for the handful of times a year that that they extend the maintenance because of unforeseen issues people like you have a temper tantrum because you can't play when you want to play ... Boo Hoo.

Once every couple of weeks Blizzard takes WoW and Diablo 3 offline. You know it's a possibility ... has been for 8 years now. Now act like a grown up and move along with your life.
11/13/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Mmda
I really can't understand the mindset of the fanboys and fangirls here, you guys make fun of people for being MAD at actiblizzion for constantly screwing up. What do you expect people to do, be happy about it? Why is it that in your minds antiblizzion is entitled to screw stuff up ALL. THE. TIME.

What I can't understand is why when someone uses rationale instead of hyperbole they're automatically labeled "Fanboy/girl."

The vast majority of people responding in opposition to the ire aren't doing so out of unyielding devotion to Activision Blizzard.

They're doing so because they're capable of accepting the fact that maintenance cycles are NOT new, they're long established. They're also capable of accepting that sometimes it takes longer than expected. They're also capable of accepting that ALL of this is covered in the Terms of Service/Use that most people blindly click through every time it pops up.

Lastly, they're capable of accepting the fact that when the inevitable happens and WoW is down there are other things to do! Shocking, I know.