Retrieving item information...

Technical Support
I just got a Crane Deck mailed to me, and for some reason, I cannot access the item, attempt to put in AH, or examine it. All it says is "Retrieving item information". I've logged out, back in, reloaded UI, no change.
If I try to sell it, it says "That item was not found"...
Navras,

This normally means that the game is trying to download information regarding the item from the server.

Have you just logged in to the game? Does the issue persists if you wait 5 or 10 minutes?
Despite the response from Blizzard in this thread I have been chasing exactly this issue for several weeks and have been told, via a ticket logged under my us.battle.net account, that "...the QA team are aware of the issue and trying to fix it"

It has been several weeks now and the problem seems not to have been moved on in any way.

When I get this problem I also:
- get a screwed up professions window (recipes missing, dropdown menu items non-functional, etc.)
- am unable to skin and loot
- am unable to take a quest from an NPC
- am unable to use mail.

For me the issue does "go away" after a period of time; anything from one minute to ten minutes of doing nothing.

When the items in my bag not longer show the "Retrieving information..." error I am able to do all the other things mentioned above and my Profession window returns to normal.

One thing that is a 100% corollary for me is:

Whenever the server is rebooted for maintenance I will, 100% guaranteed, have the problem on the first character I log onto after the server restart has completed and the realms are available again.

That has to be a very clear indicatator to where the problem is, but the solutions still seems to elude the QA team.
When I get this problem I also:
- get a screwed up professions window (recipes missing, dropdown menu items non-functional, etc.)
- am unable to skin and loot
- am unable to take a quest from an NPC
- am unable to use mail.

These are also issues I get when I log into the game. As for my item, it seemed to have fixed itself after 20 minutes or so.
Granted, this issue only persists awhile, it is definitely a nuisance.
Navras,

11/02/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Navras
As for my item, it seemed to have fixed itself after 20 minutes or so.

All of the symptoms mentioned so far are indications of a poor connection to the server, but 20 minutes is kind of long for that connection to stabilize.

What kind of connection do you have to the internet? Is it a satellite or mobile connection? Are you wired or wireless?

My connection is nearly always between 58 and 65 latency. I am wired. It's generally a very stable link (almost never have issues of being DC'd or high latency). I thought it was my connection as well at first.
As for the problems with the professions book loading everything up, that seems to clear up in a few seconds-minutes. But this item, seems to take a while. First time I've seen it happen to an item.
11/02/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Jurannok
All of the symptoms mentioned so far are indications of a poor connection to the server

Unlikely it is an internet connection issue. Connection problems usually manifest in a number of other obvious ways. The poster has also confirmed that their connection is good.

The same goes for me also, though my average latency is more in the 120ms area.

This is a very specific issue.

You wouldn't really be trying to suggest that, looking at my symptoms noted above, that I have an internet connection issue every time you guys reset the server?

.....need to try harder....
I can confirm this too. Only a few items here and there get stuck with the red "Retrieving item information". Thankfully they are mostly greys all the time, that I end up selling to the vendors. The others tho...sometimes it takes a few restarts of wow, or several hours later before they go back to normal.
I have had this issue since the launch of MoP. It only seems to happen to MoP items. Mostly quest items, BoP grey items, dungeon loot, my profession window and vendor items. I had a ticket open for a while. Talked to four different CSRs about the issue. Submitted all my trace routes, dxdiag ect. They said it all looked good, in fact it looked very good. They told me that they hadn't heard of anyone else having the issue and they didn't know what to do.

I called comcast about the issue and we went through some packet tests and whatnot and they told me that my internet connection couldn't be better and it most likely had something to do with Blizzard's servers.

I'm glad to see that there are finally others reporting having this issue. At least I'm not alone.
Navras,

The latency you mentioned is good, which means we're looking for a bandwidth issue.

You mentioned a wired connection. Try using the Advanced Network Options mentioned here:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/network-card-support

Please note that these kinds of loading issues will probably not disappear completely. But they should only take a few minutes to finish loading. The steps mentioned are merely to try and speed up the item loading.
11/06/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Skizzexy
I have had this issue since the launch of MoP. It only seems to happen to MoP items. Mostly quest items, BoP grey items, dungeon loot, my profession window and vendor items

I've had the same experience (minus submitting a ticket) on two different computers that are on two different internet connections. I tried the "UI reload by deleting the WTF, INterface and Cache folders and that doesn't do anything except get rid of all my addons and reset my sittings. I still get the "retrieving item information" message when I first logon for about maybe 2-5 minutes, but it is only for MoP items or content: vendors, profession window, etc.

I doubt it is my internet connection, as it has been rock solid so far and the same thing occurs from different machines with different net connections.

I'll be happy when they finally get this issue resolved, even though it isn't a huge problem, it is still annoying.

Could this be due to me deleting the cache folder before I log WarCraft, so NPCscan and the like let me know when a rare pops?
11/07/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Corruptible
Could this be due to me deleting the cache folder before I log WarCraft, so NPCscan and the like let me know when a rare pops?

Yes.

Item data is stored in the Cache folder. If you're often deleting that folder then the game will need to download that data again. If the download is also slow, you'll see the 'Retrieving item Data' message while the game is repopulating the Cache folder.

-When I loot, it just sits there for quite some time, usually around 30-120 seconds. Any item that is from a source that goes away once looted is just lost if I move for that time period.
-I get the Retrieving Item Information window for around the same time on items I have not seen yet.
-I am not deleting cache, so that's not a problem.
-It does not seem to be a lag issue on my end here because before, during, and after my ping is around 20-28.
-I have tried on two computers wired and wireless, and from differing locations (home and work, work ping is 17), and it does the same thing.
-I have tried to disable all addons, and completely re-install per other threads, but it still happens (as in threads about loot lag).
-I would say it happens almost every time I kill a rare, and almost every time I enter a new zone. Once in the zone it seems to be better for a while, but only for items that I've seen recently.
I posted my own thread around here somewhere, but since this one was here first, and there is a staff member tending to it, I'll post my own 2 cents on the issue.

The issue seems to be indeed with the item cache.
It makes it very frustrating when it comes to looting or picking up quest related items.

I've 'lost' a few chests as well due to this issue.

My connection to the internet in general is steady and fast. I am using comcast and get a constant 30mbps+ connection.
My in game ping stays very low- 20-30ms.
I'm using a hardline connection to my router and modem- no wifi.

Every other aspect of my internet and every other aspect of in game connection stays fast and steady. Heck, I can even pull a GetAll scan off the AH in a few seconds.

But when it comes to viewing items that seem to have not been cached in a while or at all, I get a 30sec-2min delay on updating item info.

ALSO! I get the SAME issue when it comes to quest log data/quest data on the map updating.

Does it both on my desktop and my macbook. Both addons enabled and disabled.
I've been having this issue for some time and I've been hard-pressed to find out what might be going wrong on my end. I generally start my WoW session working on the farm. That's where my hangup starts. Usually Pandaria quest items in my bags take an exceptionally long time to load. Also, when I go to the seed vendor the seeds are unavailable because they also take an exceptionally long time to load.

Now, based on what I read and my typical habits, I believe my issue might be a cache folder issue. Once I get everything rolling I don't usually have issues until the next day. I'm an avid rare spawn hunter and I use NPCScan. In order to use the addon effectively you need to clean out your cache. The instructions for the addon tells you to delete the entire folder. I do this every night after I'm done. I think that might be where I'm having the issue. Perhaps there's a better way to make sure my cache is cleaned of npcs i've missed out on or completed already. Looking through my cache folder I see a lot of stuff that I don't believe has anything to do with npc hunting but having my computer recreate that file every day might be slowing up my game.