Bonus roll issue.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
I'm convinced that people that complain about loot not dropping or the same loot dropping over and over never played through Vanilla. Or TBC either for that matter.

If they HAD, they would understand the nature of RNG.

I've been playing since Nov 05. The new bonus roll loot system was suppose to impove the old roll system.

I'm not sure "improve the old roll system" is the right way to phrase it, at least in the context that you have any expectation that the bonus roll should be much more likely to give you what you want, if not at least know not to give you what you already have.

Using a bonus roll is effectively no different than if you were to be able to loot that boss twice in one week. Each bonus roll provides the same chances of getting gear from the exact same loot tables as a normal loot roll -- nothing more, nothing less.

So it's an improvement in that you can earn an extra shot at a boss's loot table in one week. But it's not intended to be a system that ensures you never get what you don't need. The random loot system can only be so convenient before it becomes too efficient. We believe chance should dictate whether or not you get something at all and, if you do, whether or not you need still need that item. That philosophy -- specific to boss drops -- hasn't changed much over the years, so it stands to reason that even a bonus roll would follow the same structure.

But with that said, we're exploring ways to make the bonus roll feel like more of a random bonus, without just making it extremely efficient for gaining character power. We understand how it feels to spend the charms and rarely see anything other than gold or items you don't need. So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.
11/09/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Zarhym
So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.

or increase chance to get the mount the boss actually drops with a bonus roll (ie elegon, galleon, or Sha of anger)? :)
11/09/2012 02:15 PMPosted by Amber

I'd rather have the 28 gold then have to shard a pice of gear this early in the expansion.

Wait... what? Shards are needed as well and are going for 500-1000g.

Okay.

I dont need the gold and i've been making shards since day 2 of release. I've got a good stock pile of them.
So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.

I don't think this would properly address the issue. A low chance at anything will still mean most of our loot bags will still contain nothing but 28g.

A better solution is a losing streak check that eventually rewards you with a piece of gear after a couple of weeks.

Even just increasing the amount of gold awarded would go a long way. Currently, it may as well be nothing.
11/09/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Barru

I don't think this would properly address the issue. A low chance at anything will still mean most of our loot bags will still contain nothing but 28g.

A better solution is a losing streak check that eventually rewards you with a piece of gear after a couple of weeks.

I would have to agree with this. If your going to do anything to loot bags, you should put flask, potions, crafting matz, ect in them.
11/09/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Soulsphere

Even just increasing the amount of gold awarded would go a long way. Currently, it may as well be nothing.

28g is what 1 daily, you can do on your own and takes 5 mins maybe. 28g doesnt even cover 2 deaths these days.
That would be nice Zar or some profession items or anything. I honestly get depressed when I see "Sha Touched Gold" or my bonus roll get gold again and again and again and again and again.

I know how the system works too and I'm not exactly complaining about it.Except that seeing that gold or sha or sack of mogul riches or all the other gold bags makes me feel like..

><.

I like the Satchel of Exotic Mysteries. Because even if I don't get something fancy I more often than not get a potion, a flask, a gem or a profession item one of my alts can use.

And it's like

"Hey this is no mount but tis alright".

This is definitely on the table. :)

The satchel is actually a point of reference for what we're thinking.
Oh I've been thinking that my random loot roll would already give me a chance at the mount that drops off of the boss... derp.

Well I agree then that they should give you a small chance at a mount or pet, but would much rather have a shot at that particular boss mount or pet instead of any mount or pet. Especially with the account wide mounts and pets, if I got a mount that I already have then it'd just be a waste and also the random loot pool would be far too big.

I do however wish that Sha (and Galleon?) random loot rolls would give you gear based on your spec instead of any spec from your class. This is really unfair for classes with more than 2 specs since they will have an even smaller percentage to obtain the desired loot compared to an all dps class like Warlocks or Hunters. Classes with 2 specs will more than likely get a use out of the OS gear anyways so it's not a big deal, but 3+ spec classes have the least chance to get their desired gear. Not really a fair system all around. :(
The coins really should feel more personal and rewarding than "spin, spin, spin...YOU LOSE" three times per week.

I get the idea that having it ensure a gear upgrade would make it become mandatory (however, one could argue that it's already mandatory since the entire point of the game at max level is to improve your character.)

I'd be happy with just seeing how close I was to winning, instead of just a WIN or LOSE outcome. A great example of this is the slot machines in Borderlands 2. You put in some money (elder coin) and the wheels spin around and there is some suspense over winning or losing. At least that would feel more engaging and I could feel like I was THAT close to winning.
11/09/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Liinx
Oh I've been thinking that my random loot roll would already give me a chance at the mount that drops off of the boss...

It should. I didn't really specify in my original post.
Do your research. If you've won a piece of LFR gear off a boss for your spec and that's the only piece the boss drops, don't use your bonus, thereby minimizing duplicates. Bank it for that trinket that refuses to drop later on in the expansion. Be happy you have two chances at it a week.
11/09/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Zarhym
Oh I've been thinking that my random loot roll would already give me a chance at the mount that drops off of the boss...

It should. I didn't really specify in my original post.

Okay phew haha. That makes me feel somewhat better then! :P
I do however wish that Sha (and Galleon?) random loot rolls would give you gear based on your spec instead of any spec from your class.

They're supposed to. We just double-checked with the developers on this, as we've seen conflicting information go out to players. If you get loot from world bosses that isn't for your spec, that's a bug and the item flagging needs to be fixed. Be sure to report specific items on the Bug Report forum.

Apologies for any confusion in this regard.
But with that said, we're exploring ways to make the bonus roll feel like more of a random bonus, without just making it extremely efficient for gaining character power. We understand how it feels to spend the charms and rarely see anything other than gold or items you don't need. So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.

Most people would see that as making it worse, if those items lower the already small chance of getting a useful piece of gear over the 28 fitty.
Hate to sound like a cynic, but i doubt blizzard will really do anything about it. The whole point is to keep people in game and in that respect, they have succeeded.

1) Random drop rate is terrible. To have a slightly better chance you need that bonus roll.

2) To get to this point, you do horrible soul-crushing and terribly boring dailies. When you have multiple toons, this gets old reallly really fast.

3) Alt lovers such as myself, might as well not bother with the alts. Stick to a main and maybe one toon. Leveling is a drag without flight on alts. Grinding rep on them is even worse.

4) Dailies that unlock more dailies and we can look forward to even more in 5.1

Yep. This expansion is shaping up to be the most annoying one yet. I lived through Vanilla/BC/WOTLK and have never felt this frustrated. Guess it's either find a guild that you can raid with normally.. or just walk away. LFR is a terrible experience now. It offers no gear ( know of guilidies that have gone on 4 toons! and not got a single drop, after blowing their bonus rolls.... 3 weeks in a row ) Nothing more annoying than being told... "TOO BAD. Keep Doing those dailies and you might get one piece in 4-6 weeks. " ( sarcasm and pun intended)

Yea no thanks. This entire charm business is just icing, on a spoilt cake.