What is RNG?

Warrior
While looking through the forums, I see ppl crying about taste for blood, and that RNG makes it proc more. How does one get rng?
hehehe
...RNG = Random Number Generator
Thanks Kulso
Ask any programmer or software developer, there is actually no such thing as rng in regards to programming. When there are a set of rules in place that cannot be deviated from, there is in actuality no randomness whatsoever. The term RNG is misused in this instance. The acceptable term is "wonkey".
11/09/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Oxycut
Ask any programmer or software developer, there is actually no such thing as rng in regards to programming. When there are a set of rules in place that cannot be deviated from, there is in actuality no randomness whatsoever. The term RNG is misused in this instance. The acceptable term is "wonkey".

This is such a stupid nitpick. Unless you're taking a college course and trying to impress your prof on an assignment by pointing out the difference between true random and pseudo random, there is zero real world difference between the two for something like video game proc chances, assuming the pseudo RNG is halfway decent.

The acceptable term is RNG because it's close enough to accurate.
11/10/2012 01:35 AMPosted by Pwncess
This is such a stupid nitpick.
I still <3 u Oxy. Was an interesting fact and the end part made me chuckle :)
11/10/2012 01:35 AMPosted by Pwncess

This is such a stupid nitpick.

I too have an issue with that comment. I had a perfectly good mouthful of Coke that is now on my screen. THERE'LL BE HELL TO PAY!
We could nitpick this further. Nothing is ever truly random due to the deterministic features of our universe. All actions were set in motion at the moment of the big bang and with a sufficiently powerful modelling generator all outcomes could be accounted for. Even people are just massively complex biological computers.

See learning is fun. :)
infinite outcomes = infinite possibilities = Sliders on Netflix
We could nitpick this further. Nothing is ever truly random due to the deterministic features of our universe. All actions were set in motion at the moment of the big bang and with a sufficiently powerful modelling generator all outcomes could be accounted for. Even people are just massively complex biological computers.

Wrong. We can determine the probability of something happening, but never with absolute 100% accuracy. No matter how powerful of a computer that is doing the calculations.

You could also argue that nothing is truly random according to the multiverse theory, where every decision and outcome creates another universe and the number of universes is infinite. Therefore, everything that can or will happen does.

Not going to lie, I read this like Algalon.
And in walks Mr. Nitpick....

To be slightly contrary, quantum theory is all about randomness and non-predictability. There will be full RNG once we can harness the quanta in computation. But I agree with you all... that wonky comment had me doing the (<_<)
And in walks Mr. Nitpick....

To be slightly contrary, quantum theory is all about randomness and non-predictability. There will be full RNG once we can harness the quanta in computation. But I agree with you all... that wonky comment had me doing the (<_<)

Such Necro