Your definition of 'Trolling'

General Discussion
Okay so I just saw this thread about this guy who lost his loot to a mage, My heart bled for all those innocent people being reported for trolling when they were stating a simple fact!

My definition of trolling.
IS: Tricking someone into thinking something that isn't true, is. for example. 1.) 4chan users making a fake entertainment tonight and a fake Justin bieber Twitter page and making his fans believe he had cancer so they'd shave their heads, well it worked so I guess they got trolled. 2.) my mother once made me blue waffles and when I was like "omg delicious" she told me to Google them.

NOT: Stating fact or being witty and/or insensitive about your replies or come backs.

Truely does sadden me but oh well what can you do except for explain to me what you think is trolling.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Thats the wikipedia definition it sums up trolling pretty well.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Thats the wikipedia definition it sums up trolling pretty well.

Just about what I was going to say sans the wikipedia look-up.

Trolling is NOT: Someone having an opinion that differs from yours.

Many, many people on here seem to think it is :(

It's used to attempt to discredit someone's opinion or argument, rather than it's correct usage.

And therefore are the victims of trolls.

There is many many different forms of Trolls.

there are the Old school Trolls, Stupid Trolls, Troll Trolls, Troll Eaters, etc...the list goes on.

I like the Troll Eaters. Attracts many trolls, only to make them look retarded.

/HighPaw
Trolling is when you INTENTIONALLY annoy people. Annoying somebody with your opinion just by stating it is not trolling, but meaning to cause an argument or just bug somebody with your opinion (whether it's your real one or not) is trolling.
Even from reading your lovely replies I can tell that WoW trolling is a heap load different to say Facebook trolling (if you could call it that.) or 4chan trolling. I never really come into contact with many trolls on wow I tend to turn the chats off unless it is guild chats.
The communities have two complete (I would almost say polar.) opposite concepts of trolls.
What people seem to think
spammers (posting unrelated/unhelpful messages on your threads) = trolling
Opinions = trolling
trying to annoy someone = trolling

Which I can safely say are all wrong.
Trolling, to me, is intentionally trying to provoke a (typically negative or heated) reaction or response from others. Basically, just wanting to stir things up. Some people do it for their own amusement, some make it more obvious in attempt to make it more playful and innocuous, others may be deliberately trying to get a heated response from others (whether it is because they disagree with them or because they are bored).
A: Trolly
B: Normal

1. These daily quests are killin me!
A: You're a child. Just don't do dailys.
B: You don't have to do all the dailys.

2. A warrior took my trinket and it has agil..
A. Waaaaaaah ur trinket is gone!
B. Blizzard doesn't do anything about lost loot rolls.

3. I'm done with wow for a while, I'm takin a little break.
A. No one cares, just quit already.
B. Hope you had fun playin wow and come back soon.
People will also claim people are trolls because a person made them emotionally react.

I would paraphrase trolling as the emotional reaction is the aim, with the trolls "point" being the means to get that aim.
People often confuse this with the point being the aim, and the emotional reaction being the means to reject the point.
I'm more of a B (including IRL.). But I don't mind using a bit of wit sometimes but it's definitely not like A when I do either.

Seems a bit strange when you're just plodding along, seeing what topics here interest you and when you reply to one stating fact kindly, (because this guy complained about a mage "ninja'n" +spirit gear and I'm a mage.) It upsets me to see people stating helpful things like for example someone KINDLY stated that the reforgers would be out of a job if classes couldn't need for offspec even if it didn't have desired stats.
Trolling would be being all chill and speaking in a Jamaican accent.
Trolling is a art.
10/27/2012 08:07 AMPosted by Zephinism
Don't confuse trolling with spamming or flamebaiting.

Flamebaiting is considered trolling here.

It's not our definition that matters on these forums, it's Blizzard's.

If you're posting to be intentionally disruptive, you're trolling.
Trolling: Thinking one is brilliant because one convinced others that one is stupid, while in reality, one actually is a moron.
Trolling... the reason why the Internet is awesome