Raid Finder bug/exploit causing B.net Bans.

Customer Support
So, apparently there's a bug/exploit known to Blizzard with the new Raid Finder loot system, and as such, you can get loot multiple times per week from the same bosses. I found this out via a friend getting a hold of me to let me know he couldn't log in and was freaking out. I assumed he'd been hacked or something, but when Blizzard responded that not just his WoW, but his ENTIRE Battle.net (Collector's Editions on all of WoW, D3, SC2, all his legacy games, etc) was banned and now inaccessible. Needless to say, we were both shocked, angry, and left at a complete loss as to how this situation occurred.

Now, I don't know how to do said bug/exploit, but I will say that because of this it certainly leaves me hesitant to use this system that's supposed to make content more accessible. People who pay for Collector's Editions (and not just of WoW), have most if not all of the Legacy games, and spend cash on transfers, re-customization, race changes and et cetera should be more than concerned about this bug. My friend was lucky enough to be able to afford many of the premium services and spent a great deal on those extras (including pet store pets and mouts, etc). Truthfully, I know I've got more invested monetarily in this game than most should, and it leaves me seriously concerned about my investment not of just money but time as well.

Now, what I -really- don't understand how a system that has ZERO input from the player, aside from bonus rolls, can be exploited. You kill a boss, you get loot (or most likely, gold). The system decides that, the player can do nothing aside put another coin in the slot machine and hope for a better payout.

And on top of this, if this is a ban-worthy offense for the first infraction, why has it been debug'd, hotfixed, and the player base alerted? Or maybe RF disabled while you investigate? Can we get any information regarding this bug so that we can avoid putting ourselves in the situation that can cause us to become flagged for something that could cause us to lose access to our ENTIRE B.net account?
Exploiting bugs for personal gain should get you banned.

That said, it should be an invalidation of the individual license, not access to other games and services that are not tied to the game where the cheating occured.

That said, it should be an invalidation of the individual license, not access to other games and services that are not tied to the game where the cheating occured.

Completely agree, if you're caught purposely exploiting, then yes, you need to be banned. And while I truly believe my friend when he said he has no idea how he could have been flagged for it, I don't believe he should have had his entire Battle.net access revoked, including the hundreds of dollars worth of non-WoW games he's purchased.

They can ban your account if they don't like you.

BLIZZARD MAY SUSPEND, TERMINATE, MODIFY, OR DELETE ACCOUNTS AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. Accounts terminated by Blizzard for any type of abuse, including without limitation a violation of these TOU, a Game-specific Terms of Use, or a Game EULA will not be reactivated for any reason

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/termsofuse.html
Not going to comment on your friends exact situation OP because there are 3 sides to every story...

...but I'm not sure how I feel about loosing all your games. On one hand that sucks and will make people just put each license on a different account just to avoid it. On the other, I can see where Blizz might think that an exploit can be so egregious that they never want them playing any of their games again. If someone bought gold in WoW and got their account banned, that should not carry over but if someone crashed or hacked a server deliberately, I can see Blizz taking that kind of action.
11/03/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Solaru
Not going to comment on your friends exact situation OP because there are 3 sides to every story...

Very true.

But his story is merely the catalyst for my overall point: If there's this bug out there that is so heinous involving a system that has been radically altered from it's previous incarnation, then why is it not only a ban but an account-wide B.net ban? Regardless of whether the person using it intended to exploit for personal game or just random happenstance occurred? And why does it warrant the removal of access to purchased games that don't involve the game where the claimed infraction occurred?
You're not going to get banned for a bug that just happens and you don't actively exploit, no matter how good it is for you. Your friend heard about some "cool trick" to get extra loot and couldn't help but try it.
I would recommend posting this in the Customer Support forum, where you will get an answer faster.
11/03/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Alienated
then why is it not only a ban but an account-wide B.net ban?

When Blizz doles out punishment, they take intent into it. If someone went out of their way to do something that bad, it is different than just stumbling on it.

Martin

Thunder
Great example of what I was just saying. If the player had opened a ticket the moment he realized what he got in the mail..he and his guild would not have been banned so hard. Insteadd they chose to exploit it.
11/03/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Solaru
Great example of what I was just saying. If the player had opened a ticket the moment he realized what he got in the mail..he and his guild would not have been banned so hard. Insteadd they chose to exploit it.

and I doubt any of them regret it, who wouldn't use the most powerful weapon to ever be given to a player
11/03/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Tin
and I doubt any of them regret it, who wouldn't use the most powerful weapon to ever be given to a player

Well, let me count the things I would have missed if I used it and got banned...
1) Finally getting all ten classes to level cap.
2) My first WoW beta.
3) Fishing up my 3rd and 4th sea turtle mounts
4) Farming mounts with my wife every Monday
5) My second WoW beta
6) Seeing my wife finally getting her sea turtle after I had 4 of them and then getting her grey riding camel (and the title) 15 mins later (I was so happy for her)
7) This thread... http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592858928
8) All ten classes to 85
9) All the content over the last 3 years.
10) Having all 10 people use Rhea's Last Egg on the Deathwing fight. (maybe the single most memorable moment for me in a video game)

At the moment it might have seems cool to down raid bosses with a quick button push but if it was me...I would have no regrets about opening a GM ticket.
Except... you wouldn't be missing *ANY* of that, since its all memories. Memories of Monday Mount Farming, or your "call out the Blue" thread, or your super special whatever you did to whoever you whatever.

If I had gotten banned when the Martan Fury incident happened, none of those things wouls have happened. So looking back...no regrets at all. The memory of all those things,as well as some of their longer lasting effects far out weigh 1 shotting the Lich King.
Anyone who feels their account was actioned in error should submit an appeal using the support website:
http://us.battle.net/support/

Blizzard's staff will review the evidence that lead to the account action and ensure that it is properly looked at.

That being said, I've been running LFR myself - not had any problems at all. But then again, I don't exploit...
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Reading the OP's post, it sounds like he hasnt been given the full story and we're hearing chinese whispers.

Let's stop discussing "what if" scenarios, and leave it between his friend and Blizzard.