Just how much artificial intelligence?

General Discussion
I sometimes get to wondering how much artificial intelligence we have in this game. What do you think we can look forward to in the future development of Ai in Warcraft?
not much. It would probably be too costly in terms of hardware to make better AI
I don't think we need to much AI.

What if the bosses start attacking the healers instead of the tanks?
Does scripting count as AI? Even if it's advanced scripting does it really count as AI?

It's not like raid bosses or even regular mobs will do anything other than (for the most part) go after the person with the highest threat.

They don't really do anything smart, or adjust battle tactics to the attackers.

Or the other murlocs realize there's a dude standing *right there* piling up their dead friends and mass rush instead of waiting for him to enter their aggro path.
faction champions.

Or the other murlocs realize there's a dude standing *right there* piling up their dead friends and mass rush instead of waiting for him to enter their aggro path.

Idk maybe those other murlocs see the pile and get nervous.
There is NO AI in WOW. Only mathematics apply (Blizz's agro tables). A smart boss would attack the "weak" member of the group, not the tank- who's basically the only hard guy to kill.

AI in WOW = never gonna happen.

edit: my 12 years old knows you kill the easy guys first...
11/06/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Vandal
not much. It would probably be too costly in terms of hardware to make better AI
"Smart" AI does not require better hardware. It requires creative programmers.
11/06/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Fanahlia
It requires creative programmers.

Making the boss try and kill the healer instead of the tank isn't creative. It's common sense. WOW has neither AI or common sense.
11/06/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Jamalia
It requires creative programmers.

Making the boss try and kill the healer instead of the tank isn't creative. It's common sense. WOW has neither AI or common sense.
That's not what I was trying to infer with my comment. I was simply saying that throwing more hardware around doesn't automatically mean AI is smarter. It is up to the programmers to come up with creative ideas for AI. That's a general statement for any game, not just WoW.
What about game physics? The game engine must be massive and I can't imagine not having some level of transparent AI to handle the massive load of instances including such things as flying. It is true that much of what goes on in WoW is by nature semi-random numbers being compared to static numbers, variables, and other semi-random numbers. In the old days, we played Dungeon and Dragons and accomplished combat this way with dice that went from as little as 6 sides, all the way through 24 sided die. The interesting thing is that the die rolls (within their scope) truly are random, whereas computers are incapable of generating completely random numbers. I suspect that some level of AI is necessary to balance out these kinds of considerations. Not that any of this really matters to how much fun it all is. Battle well! GLHF