[Battle Pet] Normalizing Rare Stats

General Discussion
If your an experienced pet hunter you've realized by now that there isn't just one set of stats for each rarity, but 2, sometimes 3. How much of a hassle is it to find a rare pet with the exact perfect stats your looking for? Not only do you have to find a rare (not an easy task anymore) but you only have a 50% chance (or worse) of finding the rare with the good attack and speed. You could say that: "rare is rare" which could mean that even with lower attack/speed stats it's still a superior pet because of a health boost, but the health to stat ratio is no where near equal. (18 attack and speed for 81 health?) You could say that just makes people who find that specific rare special snowflakes, but if you want the pet your just gonna end up farming yourself a headache looking for it til you find it anyway... and that's not really very fun.

So why not just equalize the stats for rare pets. Even if uncommon and below could come in a variety of forms, rare is already hard to find, don't need to cut the spawn rate of the "good" rare in half.
I don't think Blizzard wants to do that simply because in most opinions, variance is good.

That aside, this is not the right place for this thread.
& then the rare stones happen!

How my collection goes:

What I don't have must be collected first, regardless of rarity.

Then, if possible, find a rare quality of said pet.

If "better" stat-ed rares show up, I might capture them instead, but that's not often.
10/26/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Jao
If your an experienced pet hunter you've realized by now that there isn't just one set of stats for each rarity, but 2, sometimes 3. How much of a hassle is it to find a rare pet with the exact perfect stats your looking for?

None.

Not only do you have to find a rare (not an easy task anymore) but you only have a 50% chance (or worse) of finding the rare with the good attack and speed. You could say that: "rare is rare" which could mean that even with lower attack/speed stats it's still a superior pet because of a health boost, but the health to stat ratio is no where near equal. (18 attack and speed for 81 health?) You could say that just makes people who find that specific rare special snowflakes, but if you want the pet your just gonna end up farming yourself a headache looking for it til you find it anyway... and that's not really very fun.

It's fun to me, and quite a lot of others from what I can tell. I like that I have to put a little extra time and effort into getting the best of the best. It makes the whole process worthwhile and interesting, in my opinion.

So why not just equalize the stats for rare pets. Even if uncommon and below could come in a variety of forms, rare is already hard to find, don't need to cut the spawn rate of the "good" rare in half.

Outside of the select few, rares really aren't that hard to come by. It takes more time, yes, but it's just as easy as finding an uncommon or a poor quality. All you need to do is fight the same type of pet over and over until you find one. Easy peasy.

Varied stats makes for interesting gameplay. You might have higher attack, but I have a higher speed, so I move faster and can perhaps get an advantage, for example.
This is why I stopped playing Pokemon competitively
Blizzard should just hide the values from you. Ta da, problem solved.
I don't think Blizzard wants to do that simply because in most opinions, variance is good.

That aside, this is not the right place for this thread.

I'm not saying that variance is bad. I'm saying that there is quite a bit of variance in something that already has a low rng chance in the first place. Even if different kinds of pets of the same family had different stats, that would be great... but there doesn't need to be 3 kinds of rares for the same specific pet, just gives those of us who aren't very lucky less of a headache later on. Especially once you've realized that rare you farmed for a long while and leveled to 25 gets annihilated by the same rare pet with the better attack value.

I could've put it in pet battles I suppose.

There will always be people who love a grind, who love to get those special lucky breaks... then there are those of us who just don't want the headache of farming one pet for a week or more.
10/26/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Mayliene

there are competitive pokemon???!?
10/26/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Wolframalpha

there are competitive pokemon???!?

yeah, pokemon is a very competitive game. especially when you go by various tournament rules that ban the use of legendaries and a couple of other rare exception pokemon who are disruptively strong.