Account-wide Cloud Serpent Riding?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 14 Next
10/30/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Crocadoodle
Serpent riding is a separate skill that you have to earn.

To learn a cloud serpent mount, you have already earned that skill..
<------------- This guy is my avatar that I use in game. He does not exist. I on the other hand, do exist. I'm the player who logged in an did the dailies. I'm the player who earned the achievement. Not my avatar. My avatar is a tool. Was not the point of account wide stuff to show that I, the player did stuff, not my avatars? This whole concept of locking something behind an individual avatar, and not allowing it to be across my account is just bad policy.

Your purplez are also locked to your avatar
10/30/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Killercaitie
Soooo... it's just there to mock our alts.

Yeah, that's just mean. It's super alt unfriendly... "Good job on getting this drake. Oh your other alts... yeah they can't use it. HAVE FUN!"
10/30/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Alera

Netherwings say Hi.

As do the Orc Wolves, Troll Raptors, Tauren Kodos, Forsaken Horses, Blood Elf Hawkstriders, Goblin Trikes, Pandaren Turtles, Mag'har Talbuks, Sha'tari Skyguard Nether Rays, the Cenarion Expedition Hippogryph, Sons of Hodir Mammoths, the Wyrmrest Accord Red Drake, Ramkahen Camels, Tillers' Goats, Anglers' Water Striders, Golden Lotus Cranes, the Klaxxi Scorpion, the Lorewalkers' Flying Disc, Shado-Pan Tigers....and I think that's all of them.

All of these mounts require Exalted with a faction (or a level 20-40 character of a specific race) to purchase, yet all of them are account-bound AND usable by any character on the account so long as they have the appropriate level of riding learned. My level 23 Rogue alt can ride one of the Tillers' Goats, despite it requiring Exalted to purchase and learn. My Monk can ride Netherwing Drakes despite them also requiring Exalted, and she's never so much as been to Outland before.

The question is: why are the Cloud Serpents the only faction-specific mount in the game that have this requirement? None of the other Mists of Pandaria faction mounts are like this: not the Tillers mounts, not the Anglers mount, not the Golden Lotus mounts, not the Klaxxi mount, not the Lorewalkers mount, and not the Shado-Pan mounts.

Not quite true. All of your Horde mounts are faction (for all intents and purposes) locked, as are the Alliance ones. Engineering specific mounts are also locked to characters with that profession.
WTB tome of Cloud Serpent Riding, plz?
10/30/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Baneusprime
Not quite true. All of your Horde mounts are faction (for all intents and purposes) locked, as are the Alliance ones. Engineering specific mounts are also locked to characters with that profession.

I have seen both Horde and Alliance on mounts of the oposite faction lately. I dont know if its a glitch, it probably is, but the latest one I saw was the Quel'Dorei Steed being ridden by a lvl 40 some Alliance toon through Stormwind trade districts. The first one I saw was a Pandaren on a Purple Windrider working the AH and using the mailboxes in Dwarven District.
10/30/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Baneusprime
Engineering specific mounts are also locked to characters with that profession.

Uh no. I was putputting around on the roflcopter on this character.
10/30/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Crocadoodle
Instead of being thankful for this change, you all are crying like petulant spoiled children.

An improvement made on an idea doesn't make the new implementation of that idea arbitrarily flawless, regardless of what you tell yourself, so stop running around pretending that simply because you don't take issue with this particular problem, you are somehow more "adult".

If Blizzard is going to revamp something, they need to do it correctly, not do (for the most part) a very cool thing and then take a step backward mechanically by !@#$-blocking players for quaint, antiquated, and frankly stupid reasons.

Nether drakes are account wide and the two rep grinds are nearly identical in terms of how you go about getting exalted (netherwing was way, way more painful btw). So why then are cloud serpents gated differently? Cause they're new. And because Blizz is a fan of making things needlessly annoying/difficult to acquire these days. Why? Because dailies ("content") on 10 characters is super fun, am I right!

Ok, forget I mentioned the Horde-specific mounts. What about all of the others, including all of the other Pandaria factions?

I'm just trying to understand why Blizzard made this one faction mount have this requirement for alts, and none of the other faction mounts in the entire game. It's their choice to make, and if I want to ride any Cloud Serpents on an alt I know I'll have to grind it out. I hate to sound redundant, but...I just want to know the reason(s) why.

And they're not required to tell you why. Seriously, this "needing an answer to everything" generation is a bit tiring. What if there wasn't a reason, and they just decided to do it on a whim, what would you do then? Nothing? That's right, because even having the information in your possession wouldn't change the situation.
10/30/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Arianenna
Engineering specific mounts are also locked to characters with that profession.

Uh no. I was putputting around on the roflcopter on this character.

They must have removed that restriction in the last couple of weeks, I couldn't use my carpet on this guy at launch.

Ok, forget I mentioned the Horde-specific mounts. What about all of the others, including all of the other Pandaria factions?

I'm just trying to understand why Blizzard made this one faction mount have this requirement for alts, and none of the other faction mounts in the entire game. It's their choice to make, and if I want to ride any Cloud Serpents on an alt I know I'll have to grind it out. I hate to sound redundant, but...I just want to know the reason(s) why.

And they're not required to tell you why. Seriously, this "needing an answer to everything" generation is a bit tiring. What if there wasn't a reason, and they just decided to do it on a whim, what would you do then? Nothing? That's right, because even having the information in your possession wouldn't change the situation.
Except a blue post was the second reply on this thread...
Pretty sure I got exalted with the Shat'ari Skyguard on one character, and all my characters have access to riding the Nether Rays.

Can we expect a "bug fix" restricting that now?
You see, this is why we can't have nice things... the Serpents are a special thing, we raised the little guy/girl as our own. This is why... I kind of wish my Winterspring Tiger was character bound... or is a little work too hard?

It was. And, as I pointed out, if people don't like the answer then they'll ignore it and whine for a "real" answer.

It was. And, as I pointed out, if people don't like the answer then they'll ignore it and whine for a "real" answer.
We're obviously not reading the same thread then because about half this thread replied to that one quote, not ignoring it. It wasn't a valid reply.

It didn't answer the initial question of this thread - WHY?
10/30/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Ashpaw
Be happy they're at least letting us get double the rep once one character reaches revered.

How about no?

That is a horrible hackfix and does nothing but put a small bandaid over the large gash. I am not happy with that, as I should not be forced to do that unbearable rep grind once again for some arbitrary reason.

Then, how about you don't do it on your alts? Cloud Serpent riding is not something that's necessary to play, or even enjoy the game.
I really don't care for the 3 serpents you actually buy from the faction at exalted...I think it's rather dumb but I wouldn't be irritated by it.

Making mounts that were not obtained from that faction require the factions rep makes no sense at all and I do think is wrong.

Gating character progression content for the health of the expansion is one thing...gating fun vanity mounts that were earned through raids or completely seperate factions or by killing a ton of stuff to unlock a rare beast and then killing it...gating that behind something else is just killing fun for the sake of being dirtbags.