Account-wide Cloud Serpent Riding?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 14 Next

It was. And, as I pointed out, if people don't like the answer then they'll ignore it and whine for a "real" answer.
We're obviously not reading the same thread then because about half this thread replied to that one quote, not ignoring it. It wasn't a valid reply.

It didn't answer the initial question of this thread - WHY?

1. Blizz doesn't have to justify restricting a flavor item - and that's exactly what the Cloud Serpents are.

2. They're restricted by a faction rep requirement, making them different from other mounts. While others required rep to BUY the mounts, which is why other toons could ride them, once mounts went account wide. Cloud Serpent RIDING is what you're grinding out the rep for - to train that specific riding skill. Riding skill is NOT account wide, which is why my bank alt can't ride anything.
This is the complete opposite philosophy than what was described when mounts were made account-wide in the first place.

It really boggles the mind.

Edit:

I can sort of see where they might be coming from. You might have your prestige character-bound raid mounts, your prestige character-bound raid mounts, and this could be your prestige character-bound solo/questing mount.

I feel like they're doing it wrong by tying non-questing-based mounts to it, though.
This is something that will go probably go account wide when Pandaria reaches it's end.
We're obviously not reading the same thread then because about half this thread replied to that one quote, not ignoring it. It wasn't a valid reply.

It didn't answer the initial question of this thread - WHY?

1. Blizz doesn't have to justify restricting a flavor item - and that's exactly what the Cloud Serpents are.

2. They're restricted by a faction rep requirement, making them different from other mounts. While others required rep to BUY the mounts, which is why other toons could ride them, once mounts went account wide. Cloud Serpent RIDING is what you're grinding out the rep for - to train that specific riding skill. Riding skill is NOT account wide, which is why my bank alt can't ride anything.
Yet other flavor items that require the exact same type of dedication aren't restricted on a character by character basis.

Also you can buy all three mounts with gold once you hit exalted. That was my point, you're actually grinding it for both.
By the way, there are no profession ones since my non-tailor is happily flying around on her magic carpet.

Yet this character I'm posting on can't mount any of the three flying carpets I have on my list of account bound mounts since he's not a tailor. My non-engineer alts similarly can't mount any of the flying machines on that list either.

Methinks you're mistaken.
10/30/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Rygarius
Some account-wide mounts have restrictions based on profession, faction, or class. In this instance, cloud serpents have a factional requirement.

You want to keep the serpents as a "special" mount, one that players need to work towards. Alright, fine. But what about all the other mounts that require some special extra effort to obtain? Are they bound to just one character? Nope.

Reputations are painfully slow to get up this expansion, and to have a mount that

A: requires an exalted reputation to use
B: has a chance to drop off loot tables
C: doesn't share it's "Cloud Serpent Riding" requirement across the account

shows me that this is a very alt-unfriendly expansion. Between this, the many slow reputation grinds, and what feels like an incredibly slow path from 85-90 I'm not sure I'll be making anymore characters, which means I won't be playing nearly as much anymore.
10/30/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Dippindotss

Hence why he said you and others are looking for the "real" reply. You said yourself, you think the Blue poster didn't give a valid reply.

You're whining.

The point of the cloud serpent skill is exclusivity, nothing more, nothing less. The form of exclusivity in the past was simply reputation and the only way to earn a second mount on a second character was to commit to the grind yet again. Antiquated content is antiquated and with the advent of Account Wide items, most of the older irrelevant pieces of prestige were simply given to all.

My Invincible is used by a great number of my alts, but had Account Wide been a thing during Wrath, there is a very good chance it would have had some sort of exclusion tag on it. Some would have definitely whined about it certainly but it is a perfectly valid method of keeping it rare, much akin to transmog restrictions on Legendaries.

Cloud Serpents are our current exclusion, others may come along, or they may not. Eventually Cloud Serpents may very well lose their riding skill restrictions or alternatively we'll be able to purchase a Tome of Cloud Serpent Riding, or something similar.

Fact is, its meant to be exclusive, and those requirements listed by the Blue poster are simply evidence of that fact. Exclusions exist and that is that.

Also I find the commentary about "LOL trick us to just extend content" particularly cute. That's been par for the course since Vanilla, unless you really think the methods of grinding Silithus or Thorium Brotherhood rep were meaningful additions of content? Every game is paced in one way or another, get used to it or don't play games.

Hence why he said you and others are looking for the "real" reply. You said yourself, you think the Blue poster didn't give a valid reply.

You're whining.

The point of the cloud serpent skill is exclusivity, nothing more, nothing less. The form of exclusivity in the past was simply reputation and the only way to earn a second mount on a second character was to commit to the grind yet again. Antiquated content is antiquated and with the advent of Account Wide items, most of the older irrelevant pieces of prestige were simply given to all.

My Invincible is used by a great number of my alts, but had Account Wide been a thing during Wrath, there is a very good chance it would have had some sort of exclusion tag on it. Some would have definitely whined about it certainly but it is a perfectly valid method of keeping it rare, much akin to transmog restrictions on Legendaries.

Cloud Serpents are our current exclusion, others may come along, or they may not. Eventually Cloud Serpents may very well lose their riding skill restrictions or alternatively we'll be able to purchase a Tome of Cloud Serpent Riding, or something similar.

Fact is, its meant to be exclusive, and those requirements listed by the Blue poster are simply evidence of that fact. Exclusions exist and that is that.

Also I find the commentary about "LOL trick us to just extend content" particularly cute. That's been par for the course since Vanilla, unless you really think the methods of grinding Silithus or Thorium Brotherhood rep were meaningful additions of content? Every game is paced in one way or another, get used to it or don't play games.
I stopped reading when you didn't quote my entire post and in turn took my reply out of context.

It wasn't a valid reply because he didn't reply to the question in the thread. That's not hard to understand.
I stopped reading when you didn't quote my entire post and in turn took my reply out of context.

It wasn't a valid reply because he didn't reply to the question in the thread. That's not hard to understand.

Classy, you added an edit and claim I skipped it.

He doesn't need to answer the question directly, a simple reminder of restrictions is obviously answer enough. You want the "right" answer and didn't get it, simple as that.

You not reading for whatever arbitrary reasons are not my fault, but proof you don't intend on actually discussing anything. /shrug
Instead they maybe tried a system where mounts are rarefied by faction requirements rather than drop rate?

Honestly through Cata I only saw the Stonecore drake and ZG Raptor mount drop once each, So really instead of making mounts hard to obtain, they require some effort to get but not a large amount. So now in order to make them seem more rare they slap on a requirement to use it.

Sounds like a better system to me. I will also suggest that by the end of this expansion they may very well lift the requirement somehow.

Obtainable, but still more rare.
10/30/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Krub
Some account-wide mounts have restrictions based on profession, faction, or class. In this instance, cloud serpents have a factional requirement.

You want to keep the serpents as a "special" mount, one that players need to work towards. Alright, fine. But what about all the other mounts that require some special extra effort to obtain? Are they bound to just one character? Nope.

Reputations are painfully slow to get up this expansion, and to have a mount that

A: requires an exalted reputation to use
B: has a chance to drop off loot tables
C: doesn't share it's "Cloud Serpent Riding" requirement across the account

shows me that this is a very alt-unfriendly expansion. Between this, the many slow reputation grinds, and what feels like an incredibly slow path from 85-90 I'm not sure I'll be making anymore characters, which means I won't be playing nearly as much anymore.

I'm sorry, I don't buy the notion that rep grinds are impossibly difficult, or slow this expansion. I'm a casual, that works nights full time, attends school part time, and has all the other responsibilities of being an adult, and I managed to get my rep up with Cloud Serpents. With only 3 eggs turned in, as well. If I can manage it, surely others can do it. This expansion is just over a month old - and if you're whining that you don't have all your shinies, on all your toons, you're beyond help.

I think the OP is suggesting that the Cloud Serpent Riding skill (that requires Exalted rep) should be account-wide once achieved.

Just another way to gate and artificially drag out the "content". This faction is just the neatherwing recycled anyway.

If they gave you the mounts on all your toons without grinding the rep every time this would go against their plan to use the daily gating system to artificially drag out content. So therefore if you want to use the mount on alts you just need to do the same grind over and over and over.

:-D fun!
Then why does it even show up on your alts pet/mount journal? Do you really like people with 10+ characters is going to do it more than once? I don't feel like doing it again, not unless the new reputation system makes it to where I get exalted in half the time, if my main is already exalted.
Why did you feel that implementing this was needed?

Considering the BC rep mounts are all account wide, as are the WotLK rep mounts... it seems off you'd do this with the cloud serpents.
10/30/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Jubba

Or rather, some aspects of this expansion have restrictions imposed for the sole purpose of stretching content.

I am glad I am not the only person who sees this.

You're whining.

The process by which exclusion is achieved, through attainment of Order of Cloud Serpent Dailies (which itself can only be gained through another gated, dailies system), is honestly pretty lazy.

There's no point in stymying a player's selection of what mount to use in this manner. The hard part of any of the raid/dungeon achievement mount, or the rare mount, is actually getting it in the first place. Adding another restriction on top of that, a restriction that's entirely based on an easily-attainable, but utterly pointless, achievement does very little to advance Blizzard's reasoning for implementing account-wide mounts and achievements.

If you're going to allow players account-wide mounts, and players will understandably want to show off the newest (and impliedly more rare) mounts, why implement such a restriction? To give players something to do on their alts? I honestly don't the reasoning behind the "exclusion" process, since it is so easy, but annoying, to get, and is not indicative of any real skill.

Hypothesizing what would have happened during WotLK and Invincible is dumb, since there's no way to know what would have been had account-wide mounts been in place at that time. Ditto with "well, they might allow account-wide Cloud Serpent riding in the future." Instead of arguing what could have happened, or what may happen, focus on what is happening.

While "exclusivity through tedium" may be valid game design in some aspects, it's contrary to why account-wide mounts and achievements were implemented in the first place.
Look you guys dont think they know its stupid, trust me they do its just the easiest solution to players consuming content too fast and the entire reason the game is gated this way with dailies.

The longer they keep us doing the same dailies over and over the longer they have to develop new real content. They mask the dailies as new content but its just recycled gated trash.

The longer we do the dailies the longer they have to develop new content and to keep telling us "look your not out of things to do you dont have cloud serpent on your alts do you?"

While I am not saying I agree with this system, in fact I hate it, but make no mistake this is why its there.
10/30/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Eli
Welcome to the World of Dailycraft. Conform or perish!

:)
Look you guys dont think they know its stupid, trust me they do its just the easiest solution to players consuming content too fast and the entire reason the game is gated this way with dailies.

The longer they keep us doing the same dailies over and over the longer they have to develop new real content. They mask the dailies as new content but its just recycled gated trash.

The longer we do the dailies the longer they have to develop new content and to keep telling us "look your not out of things to do you dont have cloud serpent on your alts do you?"

While I am not saying I agree with this system, in fact I hate it, but make no mistake this is why its there.

I agree with you on the other factions and dailies, but I honestly think the Order of the Cloud Serpent faction requirement was just an oversight, and what Blizzard (and Fasc) are offering are just post hoc explanations.