Cinder Kitten

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 19 Next
11/09/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Invíncíble
I see a lot of mad bros in this thread.

so edgy
patch will be out when it is ready, december is a definite release date for 5.1 some of it is for preparation for this years winter veil.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Zarhym... I agree with all of this and wanted to get up and cheer.

Haters gonna hate. Our CMs are awesome. I don't know if you will change any minds with that post.... but I enjoyed reading a real passionate response to haters just taking advantage of this to stir up mud and moan. And, Blizzard taking something they were going to sell anyways, for charity, and then choosing to give 100% of the profits to Sandy is just excellent, there is no way to spin that badly unless you are just trying really hard to be full of stupid and hatred like the poster you quoted.

I wasn't going to buy a Cinder Kitten but this convinced me... totally getting one.

edit: still rofl'ing at the (awful, black humor) idea of backup disaster pets.
I just wish they would have not picked the red cross.

There was a lot of controversy, after 9/11, about some of the donations going to future possible disasters. So you think you are going to be donating to 9/11 relief, but in fact are not. That forever tarnished their reputation.

I've never been a fan of theirs since then. I would think they could find a charity, where if you spent 10 bucks on a pet the 10 bucks would go to help people.

The issue for me isn't that 100 percent of the transaction is going to the Red Cross; Its what happens AFTER THAT. In wake of the 9/11 thing they are supposed to be watched more closely, but are half of the funds saved for a rainy day still? Is it a smaller percentage?

I've heard more of your money went to aid, if you donated to the Salvation Army for example.

http://www.ssireview.org/articles/entry/ethics_and_nonprofits

The Red Cross learned that lesson the hard way after disclosures of how it used the record donations that came in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.Donors believed that their contributions would go to help victims and their families. The Red Cross, however, set aside more than half of the $564 million in funds raised for 9/11 for other operations and future reserves. Although this was a long-standing organizational practice, it was not well known. Donor outrage forced a public apology and redirection of funds, and the charity’s image was tarnished.
I think doing anything to help in anyway is amazing and blizz is doing a great thing by offering something to help raise money. You cant expect ppl to just unload their pockets anytime a disaster happens and mabey having to get something in return for a donation isnt the most moral thing but i dont think the victims care one bit where the money came from or how. Dont slam blizz for trying to help in anyway they can they dont have to donate anything or do any of this
Thank you Zarhym. The cynicism that some people bring to the discussion whenever business tries to help people is disgusting and thoroughly disappointing.
Zarhym I love you. Can I treat you to a cinder kitten too? :D
I guess I'm disturbed with how ppl totally ignore caring about the disaster and having a complete lack of empathy for what is going on. And how some new pixel trinket is being put out there - in support of it and all they can think about it getting something that doesn't really exist.

One is supposed to get it with the intention of giving a donation towards a good cause. Not because "you" just want to add 1 more pet to some vast digital collection. It is the shear materialism mentality behind the players that makes me not happy. What is the best way to have a fund raiser? Lots of large companies do similar give-a-ways to raise funds to give to a charity. This is just but one way this company has chosen to do so. My company makes literally billions, and they have many incentive programs set up to give to charities.

And then to come up with some conspiracy theory that Blizzard literally plans around disasters and stuff to sell things shows just how sad and low-life some of these ppl really are. If you choose not to give, then simply don't. But do not get all pissy because you don't get some digital shiney. That is so low.

Ima get a fire kitteh, and be proud I helped with the Sandy Recovery.
Id be happy to buy a few for ppl who want them and mabey cant afford them. As long as i know my money is going to help ppl in need i could care less about spending a lil extra
Who care is if they are doing it for the right reason or not the money is being sent to help regardless and hey those who bought to help know they did the right thing nd that it wasnt about the pet.
11/09/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Mnemonic

There's just not a whole lot I can say about this right now. Setting these things up on the Blizzard Store isn't a trivial task either, particularly if a presale is involved.

I think it's an excellent idea and would love to see it happen. :)

I wish you guys wouldn't use the "it's hard" excuse so much. A company of your size and fame should be able to do these kind of things.

You seriously have no clue about how difficult it can be to alter billing systems if you think that.
I just wish they would have not picked the red cross.

There was a lot of controversy, after 9/11, about some of the donations going to future possible disasters. So you think you are going to be donating to 9/11 relief, but in fact are not. That forever tarnished their reputation.

I've never been a fan of theirs since then. I would think they could find a charity, where if you spent 10 bucks on a pet the 10 bucks would go to help people.

The issue for me isn't that 100 percent of the transaction is going to the Red Cross; Its what happens AFTER THAT. In wake of the 9/11 thing they are supposed to be watched more closely, but are half of the funds saved for a rainy day still? Is it a smaller percentage?

I've heard more of your money went to aid, if you donated to the Salvation Army for example.

http://www.ssireview.org/articles/entry/ethics_and_nonprofits

The Red Cross learned that lesson the hard way after disclosures of how it used the record donations that came in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.Donors believed that their contributions would go to help victims and their families. The Red Cross, however, set aside more than half of the $564 million in funds raised for 9/11 for other operations and future reserves. Although this was a long-standing organizational practice, it was not well known. Donor outrage forced a public apology and redirection of funds, and the charity’s image was tarnished.

Yeah, the Salvation Army uses you money for aid. Aiding programs to stop gay marriage and the like.

The Red Cross uses money to help people. Bottom line. Sometimes the money you give them is better utilized elsewhere. 9/11 got a lot of press, and so a lot of donations. But there are other disasters and other people in need who don't get the spotlight. So I agree that Red Cross should set aside some money from big disaster drives for the little disasters.
There's just not a whole lot I can say about this right now. Setting these things up on the Blizzard Store isn't a trivial task either, particularly if a presale is involved.

I think it's an excellent idea and would love to see it happen. :)

Trivial or not, I think it could be done...worked out in order to be a pre-sale, that is.
I definitely think it's something Blizz should consider doing. Please to be bringing it up in a meeting and giving us a timely response.
Glad to see that Blizzard is continuing the tradition of offering pets for charity.

Me too. I honestly don't know how the CMs do their jobs every day. It must be like enduring water torture with the drip, drip, drip from the drips on these forums.

I hope when they leave it's because they got a huge promotion or at LEAST a super-nice padded retirement cell at Blizz HQ and plenty of Jello.
Zarhym for President in 2016!
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

I understand that this is suppose to be for the sake of the relief, but you really can't blame someone for that kind of logic. From a corporative standpoint, how many companies do something like this? Alot. How many companies have corrupt CEOs, COOs, etc? Alot. Not saying blizzard is a corrupt business, even though I have my opinion that some of the stuff they do is pretty stupid and something I wouldn't do. But look at today's world. Look at the looters that took place after sandy. Tough world indeed and people will do anything to get ahead.
ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival

...anyone wanna take a stab at FUBAR?

fk up beyond all reconition
Cats bleh.
I take it no dog people work at blizzard.