Not to be utterly off-topic but.

I kinda want like.
A baby talbuk man.

I mean.
:|

Though I'll totally buy this kitty though. <3
Pre-order is a great idea, since the patch looks like it'll be December
11/09/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Boomgothetnt
but you can't/wont go to red cross or other relief sites to donate directly.

I have donated, and my husband donates a part of his weekly paycheck to the Red Cross. We're buying this pet on top of that as a way to give even more.
11/09/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Boomgothetnt
Most of you are being hypocrites. If you actually cared about the hurricane relief effort you wouldn't need a pet to buy on the blizzard store in order to donate. Now that Blizzard has announced that 100% of the funds are going to the Sandy relief you all act like it needs to be up right away to get the funds to the red cross, but you can't/wont go to red cross or other relief sites to donate directly. Why do you need to have a pet to donate to help out?

Because clearly we are all chuds and could not have possibly ever, ever, ever, ever, donated to the Red Cross or Relief Efforts already in another way. I never donate to charity efforts unless I'm getting a pixel pet, I mean, what other ways are there?!

That is just far too difficult for us hypocrites.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

I understand that this is suppose to be for the sake of the relief, but you really can't blame so someone for that kind of logic. From a corporative standpoint, how many companies do something like this? Alot. How many companies have corrupt CEOs, COOs, etc? Alot. Not saying blizzard is a corrupt business, even though I have my opinion that some of the stuff they do is pretty stupid and something I wouldn't do. But look at today's world. Look at the looters that took place after sandy. Tough world indeed and people will do anything to get ahead.

So assuming blizz is corrupt and the only reason they are doing this is to look good is acceptable logic to you?? Who cares what their intentions are all that matters is helping those who were devastated i dont care if blizz is trying to look good or not.

4 Cynical's

I fully understand and see your point Zarhym ol' buddy, but we really need to get you another thesaurus.

Past that, I can't wait to get mine. It'll be the only bright-spot I have as a hunter this x-pac.

I know I used that word a lot. It was just the most appropriate adjective to use without digging into a Thesaurus or breaking the Code of Conduct myself. ;p

Oh, come now. If you break the CoC I'm sure you won't be banned. Neth and... who was the other one? came back a few days after posting gold-selling websites... when they got hacked. :D
11/09/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Invíncíble
Why you posting on your alt, bro? Your paladin doesn't have THAT bad of gear. Only thing I can see you being embarrassed about is your lack of kills in normal MSV or your invisible arena team but It's no big deal...

Looks like your gear is garbage compared to mine. L2interpret ilvl.

umadbro?

Let me direct you to this here cliff.

Please, by all means, do humanity the honor.
I don't know why they don't just release it right away, the sooner its out the sooner people can get the help they need from this

Keep in mind we have to patch the game to get the pet added, which is what we're doing with Patch 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not at all a trivial process to build a "fast patch" to get the Cinder Kitten in the game before 5.1 is released.

That said, we were extremely anxious to get the announcement put up asap, as we recognize the time-sensitive nature of this charitable cause and wanted to make sure you all were at least made aware to expect it. :)

He's so adorable! Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm around adopting the little fella in the name of supporting the Red Cross, a truly remarkable organization helping to repair lives in the wake of Sandy.

Half of my family was without power for seven days, including my elderly grandparents; both uncles and three cousins have lost homes, my Aunt's will not be livable again for who knows how long. When I did finally get a hold of them (talk about a harrowing wait), they had nothing but good things to say about the efforts of the Red Cross and all the supporters who have helped.

ANYTHING going to the Red Cross is vital to relief efforts, and that doesn't just mean cash.
Blankets, clothing, and non-perishable food items are also being collected.

The fact that a corporation (consistently railed on these forums as being nothing but a soul-sucking cash machine) is donating 100% of proceeds to charity is enormous.

People can be as much of a Debbie Downer as they want, it isn't the "cool" thing to believe that cynicism is the same as wisdom, and that believing the worst about people is the same as knowing them. What matters here is that an effort is being made, and that should be enough.

And please stop beating the "You're only giving because you're getting something" horse unless you turn down the NPR Totebag, Pink Ribbon, Poppy, T-shirt, and whatever other things get given away when you donate. I hope you don't ever buy bracelets, pink kitchen-aids, yellow ribbon magnets or other items that are "% of X proceeds goes to Y" charity.

You had better be directly donating every. single. time.

Nut up or shut up.
When this comes available I will be getting one for my husband, daughter, and myself...the donation going to Red Cross is just an added bonus.

4 Cynical's

I fully understand and see your point Zarhym ol' buddy, but we really need to get you another thesaurus.

Past that, I can't wait to get mine. It'll be the only bright-spot I have as a hunter this x-pac.

I know I used that word a lot. It was just the most appropriate adjective to use without digging into a Thesaurus or breaking the Code of Conduct myself. ;p

Next time spice it up with some "jaded" and "bitter".

:)
11/09/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Mnemonic
I wish you guys wouldn't use the "it's hard" excuse so much. A company of your size and fame should be able to do these kind of things.

You obviously have no idea how businesses or companies work. Believe it or not, you cannot simply throw money at a problem and fix it or make it go away, though a certain ... "special" ... group would have you believe other wise.

Thing's of that nature usually are hard, be it a time restraint, technology issue, or simply lacking in the proper man power. No one in this world is magical, nor can they snap their fingers to make it happen. Patients is needed with these kind of things.

It's funny when a new game is coming out from a major company, we NEVER see you nor people who share that sad attitude in the forums screaming "Stop saying its hard! You are famous and have tons of money, That game could have come out last month!" Seriously, its ridiculous.

On a side note to Z: I would love to some day see a Lil Lich King minipet.

There's just not a whole lot I can say about this right now. Setting these things up on the Blizzard Store isn't a trivial task either, particularly if a presale is involved.

I think it's an excellent idea and would love to see it happen. :)

I wish you guys wouldn't use the "it's hard" excuse so much. A company of your size and fame should be able to do these kind of things.

It's not an excuse, but when people like this poster here present this like it's an excuse, it just shows they've already got a lot of preconceived notions about Blizzard while they act like it's constructive criticism. It's not an excuse, it is an explanation. You don't just throw money at issues and make your team forever expand and you don't just bring in a never ending number of freelancers which need to be vetted.

There comes a time when you have a finite number of people whose resources are pooled and distributed across the things Blizzard's teams are passionate and interested in working on. They bring in new people to contribute to the team all the time and their help wanted page is still filled with positions that need to be filled, the idea they will just bring someone in to freelance and then can them isn't realistic. Sometimes a problem can be handled that way, but in many instances it shouldn't be. WOW has 160 people working on the team last we heard a month ago.

People like the poster I've quoted are twisting things to seem a certain way, why that it is could be for a number of reasons. People like the idea of being able to see through deception and hubris for example, so they will jump to a conclusion when it comes to a faceless entity like a company which is known for being successful that has done something to make them critical of that entity. Blizzard makes a fine target for self aggrandizement.

Sometimes people just need to accept that Blizzard has decided to make different choices than you would in their position without having to paint Blizzard as lazy or apathetic or sinister.
Here's the deal:

When the Cenarion Hatchling charity pet was announced, a lot of people stepped up to bat and bought the pet.

I'm from Japan. I've had family die due to the devastation. An entire branch of my family tree was instantly wiped out due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can never get back that part of my lineage. I can relate to those that were affected by Sandy. Painfully well...

I feel sick to my stomach reading the negativity involved in this. I've donated my time and money to various organizations, and while I am no longer capable of donating my personal services, I would not hesitate to donate all that I could.

It's sad that some people need motivation in order to donate, but to spew this much negativity? It makes me feel so sad for you, and utterly disgusted. And you can best bet that with the holidays coming up, I'll be purchasing many kitties to my dearly beloved WoW friends.
For those who are saying people need help now, you're right. But many will need help for many months to come and possibly even a year or more later may be in need of help.

So while Blizzard may not seem timely to you, it's hardly a waste and having worked through a disaster area in the Northridge quake (hospital worker), I've seen first hand the short term and long term needs of people.
11/09/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray

People are not being cynical because you are trying to sell something to raise funds for disaster relief. People are being cynical for two reasons:

1. The hurricane happened weeks ago, and people need relief now, not later. 5.1 is weeks/months away, and this money is going to be seen as 'too little, too late' by the time you guys actually get the pet up for sale and in game.

2. The way you're explaining the delay makes it seem like you care more about getting 5.1 ready and on live servers, than you do about providing disaster relief for these victims. I understand that Blizzard isn't Fema, and it's not your business to provide disaster relief to victims. This is just something extra you guys are trying to do to help out, by giving us players a meaningful way to contribute to relief efforts. The way you're going about it, however, is all wrong.

You don't need to wait for 5.1 to release before you add this pet to the store and in game. You don't need to wait for 5.1 to donate disaster relief money to these victims. You certainly don't need to wait until you've gotten this vanity pet into the game before you start collecting money.

So if this is the road you guys want to take, then I wouldn't call it unfair for others to respond with large amounts of cynicism.

11/10/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Alvraen
It's sad that some people need motivation in order to donate, but to spew this much negativity? It makes me feel so sad for you, and utterly disgusted. And you can best bet that with the holidays coming up, I'll be purchasing many kitties to my dearly beloved WoW friends.

People don't need a reason to donate. People need assurance their efforts will be appropriately applied in the right ways, so many people choose to stick with organizations they feel they trust. Not everyone wants to throw a bunch of money at the Red Cross or Fema because it's difficult to say where that money will end up.

But if fans of a gaming company can put their trust in that company, and feel that their donations will actually get where they are intended to go, then that's worth it to those people. The pet is just a symbol of those efforts to help out. It's no different than getting a T-Shirt or a wrist band for making a donation to fight breast cancer or 3rd world poverty.
Reminds me of how long it takes when you actually try to adopt a kitten from a shelter.

You have to fill out all this paper work. Have your house checked. I'm not going to eat the damn cat!

I swear adopting human children seems easier by comparison.
Try adopting a Greyhound.
You don't need to wait for 5.1 to release before you add this pet to the store and in game. You don't need to wait for 5.1 to donate disaster relief money to these victims. Your certainly don't need to wait until you've gotten this vanity pet into the game before you start collecting money.

Yes, YOU don't need to wait to donate. Don't pass the buck to blizzard, man up and donate NOW, yourself. Unless you work for Blizzard and see EVERYTHING that goes on and know EXACTLY what it takes for them to do this, then shut-up. You're acting like everything can be done RIGHT THIS INSTANT, that all it takes is someone to flip a switch and everything is fixed and done. Be realistic.
11/10/2012 12:40 AMPosted by Elrith
Sometimes people just need to accept that Blizzard has decided to make different choices than you would in their position without having to paint Blizzard as lazy or apathetic or sinister.

Sorry, I don't believe I said (or even insinuated) any of those things. I am just tired of "it's hard" being used as an excuse--and it is an excuse--for why they can't do simple things like sell something on their online store.

It's just silly that these things are always met with hemming and hawing about how difficult or time-consuming or resource-consuming the activity is. Some folks keep talking about how we have no clue about how their company is organized internally, but I don't need to know the specific workings to get the feeling that somewhere along the line, resources are being mismanaged if putting an item up for sale on an online store (that has been open for years) is a "non-trivial task."

There's no anger or resentment here behind this line of thought. It's more along the lines of puzzlement with a bit of disappointment mixed in.
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

You should not wait to support the hurricane relief effort with this marketing gimmick and instead donate directly to the red cross RIGHT NOW. People need support RIGHT NOW.

www.redcross.org

And make sure to look at donating blood every 60 days as well. Blood is very important and I can not stress that enough.

I am grateful that when they do get around to accepting donation purchases that they will raise a fair amount of money for the Red Cross and that is a wonderful thing, but they should get on the ball a bit quicker, that is the nature of an emergency.
Actually the only thing I've willingly given to the red cross IS blood. (One of the rare types). I am not ecstatic over how the red cross works. Blizz may be giving 100% to them, but just like United Way, 100% of your buck is not going to those in need. I fell in love with Cinder Kitten when I first saw it posted last month, but the fact that it is now tied to the American Red Cross makes it low on my list.

My personal wish is that there would be a selection of charities that we can choose from for our purchase price to go towards in the cases of pets-for-charity. Since there are a few I already give to regularly, getting a pixel pet out of the deal is a perk, nothing more. I'd be giving X amount anyways.

And for those trying to shove morality down everyone's throats, I do give to charity. A lot. But I give to those that help, instead of exploit, their recipients. Majority of the time I forget to claim my donations come January, since I am not looking for a write-off. I also donate my time as well.