Cinder Kitten

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 19 Next
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Your business practices are what created this type of cynicism. You sold out and now people are jaded. The fact you all still have dead servers online strictly to promote paid transfers says it all. (don't know the facts but thats what I see) Ive played this game since open beta and I find it increasingly more difficult to enjoy the community of players. You don't police the servers as much as you should but you have implemented easier reporting mechanisms, so it shows that you are aware there is a problem. I'm not telling you that you should not try to get paid and I would never suggest that your charity is not welcomed. It makes me sick to think that people would say such things when charity is given. I applaud Blizzard for giving and I encourage the community to see this as a genuinely good gesture, and i know most do. I know the people on the east coast appreciate it.

I would also like to call out the community to be, well more of a community. I know its hard to get along with people you don't really know and I know you may get frustrated and pop off (god knows I have) at the occasional "newb" , but its a game and its supposed to be fun. Yes its a game and its supposed to be fun. That requires all of us including Blizzard to keep it that way.

Just my 2 cents

Out!

Not sure about others, but I am willing to prepay for it now and wait for it to arrive from Pandaria in order to help my friends back east :)

I like this idea, Blizz, u guys want us to prepay if that helps get money to the Red Cross I'd be willing to do that as well. I trust you guys ;)

This has been heard

You never addressed the idea of preorder or did you? Did you all ever think of a preorder option to get the funds raised ahead of the actual content release? Like during a meeting about the pet or however it is you plan content.

There's just not a whole lot I can say about this right now. Setting these things up on the Blizzard Store isn't a trivial task either, particularly if a presale is involved.

I think it's an excellent idea and would love to see it happen. :)

+ Sha of Hope !

I outlined details at: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7006246177

Best of wishes to everyone I am off for breakfast won't be back till tonite farewell!
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Ouch! Torched by Zarhym.
11/10/2012 07:46 AMPosted by Vrath
Zarhym, you're the man.

As many may know, I cannot find enough coal for Blizzard this Christmas , BUT :

Activision-Blizzard has in past and continues to make contrabutions to Charity's all year long !
Without saying a word to anyone.Without looking for any prasie or acknowlagement from anyone !
On THIS subject I praise the company for what they do.
SO, IF you like the pet , Buy it. If not,,don't buy it. YOUR choice.

A few other things they have done,,well, let's just say they need to reconsider the effects .p~

Enjoy the game.
I'll order at least 1 as soon as it's released, pre-order or no.
I live on the south shore of Long Island, and thank goodness I only lost power for a few days, no wind or water damage. But I do have friends that are still without power and have extensive damage with no estimation of when repairs can be started. With that, I am extremely grateful (and say thank you) that Blizzard decided to reach out to the gaming community and the positive response is admirable. I just really can't understand why people want to try and find ulterior motives for such a good thing /shrugs. Now if I could only find some gas for my car...
Lol; like Blizzard NEEDS pr? Are you nuts whomever wrote that? Grow up and stop making things up you only guess about because you think your own ideologies are true to humanity and thus are correct, because you're not.

Also, that Blizzard is doing ANYTHING to help is amazing. I encourage everyone to buy one just BECAUSE of the cause. You (in a grand sense aimed at ANYONE taking or THINKING of taking a poke at Blizzard) try to coordinate a means of helping out on a massive scale and then get back to me and we'll talk; otherwise let the big kids do what they do so well and quit yer !@#$%in. Go make your own contribution if you don't like this way/don't want to contribute this way, but don't be cynical to those helping; at least they're doing something.

Btw someone said the east coast appreciated it; completely true. I'm an east-coaster and can also state I appreciate this, so thank you Blizzard...and to everyone pitching in, we sure do appreciate it.
11/09/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Thistlewind

Keep in mind we have to patch the game to get the pet added, which is what we're doing with Patch 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not at all a trivial process to build a "fast patch" to get the Cinder Kitten in the game before 5.1 is released.

That said, we were extremely anxious to get the announcement put up asap, as we recognize the time-sensitive nature of this charitable cause and wanted to make sure you all were at least made aware to expect it. :)

He's so adorable! Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm around adopting the little fella in the name of supporting the Red Cross, a truly remarkable organization helping to repair lives in the wake of Sandy.

Half of my family was without power for seven days, including my elderly grandparents; both uncles and three cousins have lost homes, my Aunt's will not be livable again for who knows how long. When I did finally get a hold of them (talk about a harrowing wait), they had nothing but good things to say about the efforts of the Red Cross and all the supporters who have helped.

ANYTHING going to the Red Cross is vital to relief efforts, and that doesn't just mean cash.
Blankets, clothing, and non-perishable food items are also being collected.

The fact that a corporation (consistently railed on these forums as being nothing but a soul-sucking cash machine) is donating 100% of proceeds to charity is enormous.

People can be as much of a Debbie Downer as they want, it isn't the "cool" thing to believe that cynicism is the same as wisdom, and that believing the worst about people is the same as knowing them. What matters here is that an effort is being made, and that should be enough.

And please stop beating the "You're only giving because you're getting something" horse unless you turn down the NPR Totebag, Pink Ribbon, Poppy, T-shirt, and whatever other things get given away when you donate. I hope you don't ever buy bracelets, pink kitchen-aids, yellow ribbon magnets or other items that are "% of X proceeds goes to Y" charity.

You had better be directly donating every. single. time.

Nut up or shut up.

Let's not forget items we get for donating to Public Broadcasting. I made this same comment in another donation thread earlier. Either way, if it gets someone to donate, who cares why they did it. The point is they DID and the relief organizations NEED everyone's money, regardless of whether someone only donated because they got some pixels. Do you think the Red Cross will turn down the donation because of that. Of course not. I really rather doubt the family that lost their house cares that the money they are receiving for help came from smeone who got a furry pet in return. If you even care about that, then I feel really sad for you and hope that you are feeling very little right now. Because that's the way you SHOULD feel right now if that is what you are thinking about.

Your business practices are what created this type of cynicism. You sold out and now people are jaded. The fact you all still have dead servers online strictly to promote paid transfers says it all. (don't know the facts but thats what I see) Ive played this game since open beta and I find it increasingly more difficult to enjoy the community of players. You don't police the servers as much as you should but you have implemented easier reporting mechanisms, so it shows that you are aware there is a problem. I'm not telling you that you should not try to get paid and I would never suggest that your charity is not welcomed. It makes me sick to think that people would say such things when charity is given. I applaud Blizzard for giving and I encourage the community to see this as a genuinely good gesture, and i know most do. I know the people on the east coast appreciate it.

I would also like to call out the community to be, well more of a community. I know its hard to get along with people you don't really know and I know you may get frustrated and pop off (god knows I have) at the occasional "newb" , but its a game and its supposed to be fun. Yes its a game and its supposed to be fun. That requires all of us including Blizzard to keep it that way.

Just my 2 cents

Out!

Honestly, I think the post he responded to went WAY beyond proper. While you may agree to some level of cynicism when something like this happens, the level of angst in that thread was utterly and completely uncalled for.
I still think we should have pre-orders as previously suggested so we can get money in the hands of aid organizations who need it now versus in two-four weeks. You could also put up a pure donation item in the Blizz store, where it is just a pure charity purchase, in case people want to donate more than $10. Either that, or offer a payment slider with a minimum of $10.

Also, to those cynics pointing out the immorality of the pet item, ask yourself one thing: Would those who need the help be voicing such a concern? Charity events, dinners, etc are held all the time for the purpose or raising both awareness and funding for causes the hosts support. Charity auctions, raffles, bake sales, etc are all in a similar vein. Not only does this increase the level of donations gained, but it is also a way of rewarding people for charitable behavior. This is nothing new, and nothing to be ashamed of.

Regardless of the explanation of the timeline posted by Zarhym, Blizzard had already announced ALL of the proceeds from the pet are being donated to Hurricane Sandy relief (source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7777896). They are not getting one red cent of the sales. As for any publicity benefits Blizzard derives from the charity, so what? I suppose this is following from the Kantian notion that a moral action is its most moral when it is done out of a sense of duty rather than some tertiary benefit. I point out that Blizzard is a corporation, not a person, and as such is not a moral body. The individuals working inside the organization are moral actors; those individuals making decisions, setting up the store to accept the transactions, creating the pet model and pet behaviors, etc. Essentially, those sacrificing portions of their dev cycle to make this happen. Making such cynical claims regarding their motivations warrants hard proof, not errant speculations. I suppose it involves a little faith in your fellow man to give those individuals the benefit of the doubt, however I follow the notion that individuals are innocent until proven guilty. Could this be an attempt at gleaning PR benefits? Sure. Since when does an action have to have just one motivation? And since when does charity have to benefit just one group of people?

Some individuals purchasing the new pet do so because they legitimately want to buy the pet. Others will buy it because it is another source of aid for the Northeast. What does it matter? The idea that people will only donate to a charity because of some reward is a moot point to make. Whether you donate to causes because it makes you feel better, or fulfills a moral obligation and puts your empathetic inklings at ease, or because they offer you a tote bag or in-game pet, you are still benefiting from the act. To suggest one charitable act is made less valid by the inclusion of a reward is to bicker over what types of reward are acceptable (tangible vs. intangible). And that's splitting abstract hairs when real people need help.

If you do not support this method of attracting donations, then go to google and type in 'Hurricane Sandy Relief'. There are aggregate sites containing links to all kinds of charities that will benefit those affected by Sandy (i.e.: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/where-to-donate-or-volunteer-to-sandy-relief-effort/). We're all in this together to support a section of our country going through exceptionally difficult times. No need for conflagration.
I really rather doubt the family that lost their house cares that the money they are receiving for help came from someone who got a furry pet in return. If you even care about that, then I feel really sad for you and hope that you are feeling very little right now.

That was my point:

11/10/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Psychomagus
And please stop beating the "You're only giving because you're getting something" horse unless you turn down the NPR Totebag, Pink Ribbon, Poppy, T-shirt, and whatever other things get given away when you donate.

Those complaining that everyone only donates because "OMG KITTY!" should shut their noise holes and donate directly instead of raising some brouhaha on the WoW forums about why other people don't.

I'm guessing my original post didn't get that point across. I was just sick of reading about how people only donate when they get something in return- when things like yellow ribbons, poppies, pink ribbons, bracelets and the like are given for donating directly as well. Or like when you buy juice from a company that gives X % of Profits to Y" charity.

Fairly certain cancer patients, starving people, and victims of natural disasters don't care how or why a person donated (My grandma is eighty-freakin' nine, she hasn't got a clue what Blizzard is unless I'm talking weather, and certainly not the World of Warcraft) because it's money toward the relief effort.
Why do you all care so much about Blizzard releasing a pet to raise funds for those affected by Sandy? Why do you care about whether or not Blizz is going to get some positive PR? In my opinion, not enough corporations are willing to go out of their way for others. Blizz SHOULD get some positive PR over it, maybe it'll influence other corporations, you know, make the world a better place, one step at a time.

And, another thing. If you're so concerned over donations, get out and make one yourself. Don't come on the forums and rant and rave about how Blizz is doing some kind of jaded business practice. There is a whole wide world out there for those of you concerned about making a difference, Blizz is doing their way, you do yours if you don't like it.
11/10/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Thistlewind
Those complaining that everyone only donates because "OMG KITTY!" should shut their noise holes and donate directly instead of raising some brouhaha on the WoW forums about why other people don't.

Amen to this.
Any word on whether this pet will be able to be caged + sold?
11/09/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Mnemonic

There's just not a whole lot I can say about this right now. Setting these things up on the Blizzard Store isn't a trivial task either, particularly if a presale is involved.

I think it's an excellent idea and would love to see it happen. :)

I wish you guys wouldn't use the "it's hard" excuse so much. A company of your size and fame should be able to do these kind of things.
Size and fame doesn't mean anything when it comes to coding and the like. You should make your own business and then come back and tell us how easy it is to do things like this.
Just to put some proof out there that the patch won't "come too late" to help relief efforts:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57547965/n.j-siblings-lose-parents-in-superstorm-sandy/

There are other countless stories similar to this one in which people will need help for years to come as a result of this storm.

Zarhym...

While I seriously dislike you, mostly because you almost always tend to come off with a snide attitude, I agree with you here.

This pet looks awesome, the idea is sound, and I love the fact that Blizzard changed its direction with the pet to benefit those unfortunate enough to be blasted by Sandy in the Northeast.
11/09/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions

Just a thought, but if you guys set up pre-orders in order to get money to the Red Cross faster, I'm sure lots of us would be willing to pre-pay for the pet and wait for the patch to actually get it. I would.

Edit: I see this was already addressed. Ignore me!