Keyboard turning?

New Player Help and Guides
I was just wondering if it is possible to do well in PvP as a melee class using your keyboard buttons to turn. This is how I've always played so i don't wish to change. I heard a guild mate talk about how it is better to mouse turn as a melee and it discouraged me and now I'm trying to decide between my mage or monk. I love them both but I want to be able to keyboard turn...so which one should I play based on my keyboard preference?
It's not feasible. You'll move very slowly compared to other players and you won't be able to keep up with others' movements. Keyboard turning gets you killed quickly in PvP. The same can apply to PvE as well - you need to move quickly to get out of fire and other bad effects to avoid being splattered on the floor by a boss.

If you learn to use the mouse to turn and change direction, you can do whichever class/role you want without being limited.
so basically what you're saying is that if i wish to keyboard turn, i should probably play a ranged class?
11/12/2012 10:33 PMPosted by Rockhurst
so basically what you're saying is that if i wish to keyboard turn, i should probably play a ranged class?

No, what I'm saying is that if you wish to keyboard turn, you need to play solo or stay out of PvP. Melee will bounce around you in your face very fast during PvP combat. If you're a ranged and you're trying to face them to get off a spell (or shoot as a hunter) you won't be able to target them before they kill you where you stand.

Likewise if you play a melee and you can't move fast enough, the ranged are going to blow you up before you can draw a weapon.
ooooh okay :P sorry about the misunderstanding! i have been casually pvping and i would like to get competitive and go into arenas so i guess i'm going to have to change my habits.

do you know of any types of guides somewhere to help me get started with mouse turning and a guide to beginning competitive pvp?
well...what could a guide to mouseturn you tell you?

LMB turningturns your character.
RMB-turning turns the camera.
LMB+RMB makes you run forward. (player forward not character forward).

that's...it.

do you understand why keyboard turning falls short? it's the turn radius and turn speed. when you play a racing game, the car naturally has a turn radius. when you play a character, he can rotate in place.

so if an enemy is right next to you, by mouse you instnatly face him. by keyboard you're slow enough that he can forever keep behind you.

My level 15 gnome rogue once ran into a level 20 tauren prot palain in a BG. He was keyboard turning. The sound of my puny daggers hitting his mail rang for a good two minutes before the fat cow went down. he never managed to hit me. a single crusader strike would've killed me.

competitive pvp is mostly about strong knoledge of other players' class and your own class' counters to their abilities. because the enemy can react in unpredictible way, its hard to make a beginner-level COMPETITIVE pvp guide.
11/12/2012 10:51 PMPosted by Robokapp
My level 15 gnome rogue once ran into a level 20 tauren prot palain in a BG.

No, you didn't. Those are two separate brackets. Go stroke your tiny ego somewhere else, Robo.

Back to the OP...

Changing your muscle memory is all up to you. The best way to do it is practice. Unbind your turning keys (A and D) in the Keybinding Menu and put other abilities there. Now you can't keyboard turn unless you use the arrow keys :P

It's awkward at first and you're going to screw up plenty of times, but you will eventually get it :D You can hold both mouse buttons to run forward, and turn the mouse to turn your character. Holding the right mouse button and turning the mouse will turn your character in place, which is much faster than the keyboard.

I prefer to use W to move forward and the right mouse button to pivot direction as I move because I change camera angles frequently as I tank. That's just me though, and it took a while to get to a point where I could do all of that without thinking. Muscle memory is difficult to stop and rebuild sometimes.
When I was learning to mouse turn (and I still use W to go forward), what I did was

1. unbound A and D from turning and rebound them as my strafe keys for those directions.
2. practiced mouse-turning around stormwind A LOT. you could maybe try undercity to practice in? somewhere with lots of turns you need to make on a ground mount. just run around practicing.
11/12/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Icedragon
My level 15 gnome rogue once ran into a level 20 tauren prot palain in a BG.

No, you didn't. Those are two separate brackets. Go stroke your tiny ego somewhere else, Robo.

they are, aren't they? so I must be wrong.

except...it's extremely common for 19.9s to queue AB and ding 20 early in the BG and do most of the run as 20.

since my rogue was a pvp - exclusive toon, odds are it met plenty of 19s who ding while going from 15 to 16, wouldn't you say?
In all honesty, you can get by with a little bit of keyboard turning if you play a ranged class (melee, I don't think its possible). I capped conquest easily every week on my mage doing that junk. If that is the ONLY way you move your character, though, that's not going to cut it. You simply won't be able to keep up. I used to keyboard turn when my mouse hand was busy doing something else, like targeting someone.
I also keep keyboard turning on when I'm questing so I can play with one hand :3

But, just so you know, it is incredibly easy to get rid of the keyboard turning habit. I was a keyboard turner for 5 years, and all I had to do was unbind my turn keys (or more specifically, bind them to something else [which is fortunate, because that's more keys to use as keybinds]). After about a week I'd broken the habit.
If it's any consolation I run through my opponents to their front and back so they can't cast spells unless they turn with me. All my attacks are keybound to my mouse as well so I just hold right click and go to town. It would be better if I didn't suck at pvp, but hey...
11/12/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Rockhurst
do you know of any types of guides somewhere to help me get started with mouse turning and a guide to beginning competitive pvp?

I feel your pain, I made this transition myself and it was tricky.

First up I don't recommend working on mouse movement with a toon you already play a lot. Pick a new one if possible, it will be easier to get used to the new positioning of your keybinds if you don't have to work against ingrained reflexes. It also helps to add abilities to your new setup one at a time.

Second: I recommend getting a gaming mouse. I made my transition with the help of a Razer Naga, which has 12 buttons on the side to satisfy my need to have keybinds available for my right hand.

Remember for the ideal set up you can still move to some extent with your keyboard, just make sure that you are TURNING with your mouse :) I have W set up to move forward, and Q and E as left and right strafe respectively. Unbind your keyboard turns, this will help you rely on your mouse.

Instead of the slow shuffling turn of someone using their keybinds to turn you want to be able to "face;" turn instantly to face a new direction. It took me a while to figure this part out so I'll walk you through it; if you hold down your left mouse button and drag it around the screen, you'll see that it controls your camera perspective. If you hold down only your right button and drag, you'll see it controls your character, and that they shuffle in a little circle, not much faster than turning with your keyboard. Now, instead of dragging your right click, left click and move the camera so that your character is facing you. Now "tap" your right button while keeping your left button held down; your character should turn immediately to face away from your camera. This is the kind of turn you want to be practicing, one that immediately faces you in a new direction.

This is useful for both ranged and melee: on my mage and druid I can flip quickly back and forth and hit a target while running away from it in a straight line, and in melee if you don't mouse turn you will never be able to keep up with the movements of someone who does. This change is well worth it, good luck in your efforts!
It would be nice if there was something blizz could do to change the turn speed for keyboard turners. I dont really understand why we would turn any slower using the keyboard as compared to the mouse. As for PVE, only problem I've ever really had was the firebird in fireland(cant remember the name) when he did the flaming tornadoes, i was pretty screwed.
11/13/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Whiplasshh
It would be nice if there was something blizz could do to change the turn speed for keyboard turners. I dont really understand why we would turn any slower using the keyboard as compared to the mouse. As for PVE, only problem I've ever really had was the firebird in fireland(cant remember the name) when he did the flaming tornadoes, i was pretty screwed.

The problem is precision. When you turn by mouse, you "click,slide,release" and with practice are aiming precisely where you need to be. You can turn slow or extremely rapidly based upon how quickly and where you move the mouse.

With keyboard turning, you can't push a key "any slower or faster, or any harder or softer" (that the OS can detect anyway). The only variable you get to control is the amount of time you hold it down - and if they made you rotate at anything like the maximum speed at which a mouse can turn you, you'd find it nearly impossible to play because you'd be always always over shooting your "intended" direction, and you'd find that those very tricky "aim precisely and then move carefully forward or back" things that you sometimes have to do to avoid falling (or aggroing a mob at the edge of detection), etc. would be darn near impossible.

So the current system is a compromise - not so fast as to be "twitchy" - but as a result slow enough to give a (considerable!) edge to your opponent over a mouse turner.

<S>
11/13/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Sylth

The problem is precision. When you turn by mouse, you "click,slide,release" and with practice are aiming precisely where you need to be. You can turn slow or extremely rapidly based upon how quickly and where you move the mouse.

With keyboard turning, you can't push a key "any slower or faster, or any harder or softer" (that the OS can detect anyway). The only variable you get to control is the amount of time you hold it down - and if they made you rotate at anything like the maximum speed at which a mouse can turn you, you'd find it nearly impossible to play because you'd be always always over shooting your "intended" direction, and you'd find that those very tricky "aim precisely and then move carefully forward or back" things that you sometimes have to do to avoid falling (or aggroing a mob at the edge of detection), etc. would be darn near impossible.

So the current system is a compromise - not so fast as to be "twitchy" - but as a result slow enough to give a (considerable!) edge to your opponent over a mouse turner.

<S>

Hmm, I guess I never thought about it like that. Perhaps someday I will have to switch my ways, someday...
It is not good to use keyboard turning for PVP. Keyboard turning is too slow. Use the mouse and jump a lot. Haha.
Try a combination of moving with your keyboard and your mouse. The strafe keys especially (default "Q" and "E"). If you can practice moving with your mouse and strafing at the same time, it will make a world of difference for you.
it is based on YOUR play style. if you feel more comfortable turning with keys then do that. why play a certain way if your not comfortable with it? thats like me asking you to cut your arm off. are you okay with that? obviously not. so why do it?

this goes back oldschool when people keep raging about others clicking buttons rather then pressing the keys to attack. it does NOT matter. whatever mathod works for you that is how you should play. i myself turn using both the keys and my mouse i feel comfortable playing this way so why should i give 2 sheets about people criticizing the way i play? i pay for my account not them.

No, it is in no way like "thats like me asking you to cut your arm off. are you okay with that? obviously not. so why do it?" This is what we call false equivalency. You can learn to use a mouse to move and to keybind. It's not difficult, nor is it the equivalent of losing a limb.

Keyboard turning and clicking are ineffective for competitive play. If the OP wants to do competitive PvP, he needs to use the mouse to move. He'll be clobbered otherwise. Keyboard turning is slow and cumbersome, as is clicking.
Of course this game is based on your play style. The original poster asked for movement tips so he/she could play more competitively. This game requires some level of skill to play at a higher than casual level.

Keyboard turning simply will not work in PvP, it isn't a knock against anyone's play style, it is simply a fact. To play more competitively, you need to learn different play styles. Listening to other players' advice is a good start to work out what will be best for you.

The advice isn't meant to make fun of how anyone plays, only to help.