What happens when I upgrade?

New Player Help and Guides
Hello, I am only a beginner at the game. Never played before and only have a Starter edition account with quite a few 20s. I am thinking about buying a Battle Chest (at some random store because I would like a box version rather than digital) with the Original, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, right? So what happens when I get it? Is there a code I put in or something? Where do i put it, unless it comes with instuctions. And what would happen if I don't have a subscription anymore?
Download the game and then go to your battle.net account page and enter the codes for the game, buying the battlechest will come with a month of playing time so no need to worry about that.

Welcome to Azeroth!
"Download the game"

When you say that, does that mean download the game that comes in the box?
Box version as far as I know gets you expansions up to and including Wrath of the Lich King, but you will have to download the rest of the content via the launcher depending on what box version you happen upon in your brick and mortar store. You'll get a key in the box that you enter in your battle.net account and it will unlock the Starter Edition restrictions and start you off with your Free Month (note that you will also have to subscribe to WoW before this, but you will not be charged until your free month is over). If your game time runs out with no subscription, you are locked out of all in-game features of WoW until you renew your subscription.
11/06/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Shiku
"Download the game"

Slide the discs into your computer and let them run their course, it will take awhile and then after they are installed or during, go to your battle.net account and enter the game codes to activate your game. The Battle Chest comes with World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade and as I understand it, Wrath of The Lich King. I never bought the Battle Chest so it may contain one key or three, enter any keys into your battle.net account and it will activate your account. After the game is done downloading, login and enjoy full access to the World of Warcraft.
If you've been playing you don't need to download anything. Everyone plays on the 5.0.5 client regardless of what version of the game you have. If you get the battlechest you enter the code into your account and it will unlock all the content available to you, which is everything through Wrath of the Lich King.
EDIT:

Slide the discs into your computer and let them run their course, it will take awhile and then after they are installed

Prime example of what NOT to do if you've already been playing. All this will do is overwrite what you already have on your computer and waste your time and bandwidth. As I said before if you've been playing you have everything you need downloaded.

EDIT2: and i can see by your activity feed that you were playing yesterday. Unless you deleted your folder for some reason all you need to do is enter your code.
Please ignore what Antium said, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

When you upgrade that's it. That's all you have to do. You won't have to download anything. You're already playing the same game as the rest of us. If you buy any version in the store you can use the code on the website in order to upgrade your account. You can also buy the upgrade digitally if you'd rather not have to go to a store.
Alright, I think I get it. Thanks Everyone.
11/06/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Antium

Slide the discs into your computer and let them run their course, it will take awhile and then after they are installed or during, go to your battle.net account and enter the game codes to activate your game. The Battle Chest comes with World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade and as I understand it, Wrath of The Lich King. I never bought the Battle Chest so it may contain one key or three, enter any keys into your battle.net account and it will activate your account. After the game is done downloading, login and enjoy full access to the World of Warcraft.

Why do you insist on continuing to give bad advice. He already has the game. He just needs to upgrade his account online.
Ignore what I said about installing.

I wasn't even thinking.

Entering the codes will be fine.
11/06/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Shiku
Alright, I think I get it. Thanks Everyone.

I greatly hope you read what me and Daf said as if you have the starter edition you don't need to install ANYTHING.
11/06/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Antium
Download the game and then go to your battle.net account page and enter the codes for the game, buying the battlechest will come with a month of playing time so no need to worry about that.

Wow, tiny bit of info to many questions. You didn't answer half the questions the OP asked, and you mentioned downloading which the OP doesn't have to do because they are already playing that panda they posted with.

OP:

11/06/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Shiku
I am thinking about buying a Battle Chest (at some random store because I would like a box version rather than digital) with the Original, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, right?

Yes, that is the one you want. It's what gives you the first account level after Starter Edition.

So what happens when I get it? Is there a code I put in or something?

Yes, you'll get a code in the box. You log into your account management on battle.net, click on the specific WoW account you want to upgrade. That will take you to an account summary page which will have a link that says "upgrade with game code". Click that, enter the code you got in the box into the text box that pops up. Your account will instantly be upgraded.

DO NOT USE THE CD'S!! You already have the full and complete game on your computer, all the way up to MoP. Everyone plays with the same game client on their computer, what's keeping you from accessing those bits is your account status on Blizzard's servers. Upgrading your account upgrades your status, and the servers will let you access previously locked things (like being able to level past 20 and being able to talk to people).

The CD's in the box are basically free coasters. They are versions of the game client as it was 4 years ago (at least), so installing those CD's will just overwrite the current game client you have now. Which will then have to be automatically patched by the system and brought back up to the current game client again before you can play.

The books in the box, like the CD's, chronicle the state of the game as it was 4 years ago, so much has changed that trying to use those as a guide of any sort will just lead you very astray. They are basically good for nothing but nostalgia and kindling.

And what would happen if I don't have a subscription anymore?

With the battlechest, you don't have to pay a subscription for the first month, it's included in the purchase price and will automatically be applied to your account when you upgrade.
After that, to keep your characters live and playable, you'll need to pay about $15/month. If you stop your subscription, the game time will eventually run out at which point your account will become unplayable.

Later, if you decide to resume your subscription, your characters will be just as you left them ready to play, even years later.
When you update your starter edition with the new codes, regardless of how you got them, make sure you're actually updating the starter edition. Many folks inadvertently create a new account and their current starter edition stays as just a starter edition.

I wasn't even thinking.

This isn't the first time you've given poor advice here and had to be corrected by another poster. Perhaps you should chill and hang back on these threads until you have a better grasp of things and can offer up some valid advice to help others. You seem to be trying to jump in head-first in the forum and it's not yielding positive results. Kick back, lurk a bit, THEN give advice when you can. Also check your sources/facts beforehand.

I wasn't even thinking.

This isn't the first time you've given poor advice here and had to be corrected by another poster. Perhaps you should chill and hang back on these threads until you have a better grasp of things and can offer up some valid advice to help others. You seem to be trying to jump in head-first in the forum and it's not yielding positive results. Kick back, lurk a bit, THEN give advice when you can. Also check your sources/facts beforehand.

Based on one thread you've seen me post in?
Excuse me for trying to help.

Based on a few threads we've seen you post in actually.

When I first discovered this forum I lurked for a bit, reading responses, looking up the answers to peoples questions before I answered them (since I had to do this to know the answers to the most basic and least obscure things, that meant I wasn't ready to answer questions yet). As time went on and as I learned things, I knew what the answers were (still verifying with sources at first), so I started responding. Even today I try to stick to the threads I know the answers to. If something changes that I'm not aware of, I'm quick to edit my original post to the correct answer as soon as I realize it.

Just hang back and observe for awhile, we all had to at first.

Your heart is in the right place and wanting to help is great, but your execution is sorely lacking. I'm not trying to take a bite at you (trust me - you'd know if I was), but you do need to sit back and pay attention before trying to give advice here. Giving bad advice is the equivalent of posting wrong information here. Folks are quick to point out mistakes so they're remedied to avoid misleading newbies and folks asking for help.
I just really don't want to keep people from enjoying the game. Some people might be put off by the false information that tells them they have to install the game repeatedly.

Your heart is in the right place and wanting to help is great, but your execution is sorely lacking. I'm not trying to take a bite at you (trust me - you'd know if I was), but you do need to sit back and pay attention before trying to give advice here. Giving bad advice is the equivalent of posting wrong information here. Folks are quick to point out mistakes so they're remedied to avoid misleading newbies and folks asking for help.

I'm never one to shy away from my wrongdoings and I'll admit I had a drink or two before I came to the forums. I'll apologize first, not wanting to start any drama or problems with anyone. Second, you are right. I guess I may be trying too hard to help that I read too quickly and jump to try and post what I think is helpful but is actually full of holes. I guess it's time for lurk mode. Thanks for not being dicks about it though, I do appreciate that.
11/06/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Monmonn
I just really don't want to keep people from enjoying the game. Some people might be put off by the false information that tells them they have to install the game repeatedly.

This is why I advocate microwaving the CD's to prevent confusion.

And that is why Avanna advocates a safety warning after I post in these threads XD