Another wave of Class/Race combos?

Story Forum
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Muerta: http://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=68322

Another Undead Paladin NPC. Come on Blizz make it happen soon :D

Uh, dude you know that's a Priest right?

She's wearing Horde Priest T9 and is even using a staff.
Night Elves should just get Paladins already.

Make the Light-animation look a bit whiter for Elune. Extra work I know, but worthwhile.

Though I guess Night Elf priests would be upset if they didn't get the same treatment.

Anyways, the race/class combo makes sense. And more than that, there are race-specific role playing guilds out there. IE, there's one guild on my server that is only Night Elves and Worgen. Which is great--it gives them access to every class....except for Shaman and Paladins.

Not that I have anything against Night Elf Shaman. I'd just prefer it if there were Worgen Shaman instead.
11/24/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Draile
I'd just prefer it if there were Worgen Shaman instead.

I would have traded Worgen DK for Worgen Shaman but I don't think that would have been fair to people who thought it appealing to play this badass, black-clad werewolf that freaking HOWLS frost magic and controls the dead.

Make the Light-animation look a bit whiter for Elune. Extra work I know, but worthwhile.

Though I guess Night Elf priests would be upset if they didn't get the same treatment.

Anyways, the race/class combo makes sense. And more than that, there are race-specific role playing guilds out there. IE, there's one guild on my server that is only Night Elves and Worgen. Which is great--it gives them access to every class....except for Shaman and Paladins.

I agree.

Perhaps there could be a glyph for Paladins and Priests signifying them as followers of Elune. Hell they should even make the glyph for Priests as it is.

I also agree that giving more combos would help race specific guilds in filling more roles.

I wouldn't mind seeing Worgen get Shamans or Paladins myself.
I'll be honest...race/class restriction was something that I immediately disliked about WoW. I'd rather have all classes open to all races.
11/24/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Draile

Night elf templar portrait in starcraft obviously a hint from blizzard about night elf paladins in the future >.>

I agree with the rest of your post, though I can't see Blizzard doing any racial diversity for classes beyond paladin mounts, shaman totems, and druid forms anytime soon.
11/26/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Tiycreaux
I'll be honest...race/class restriction was something that I immediately disliked about WoW. I'd rather have all classes open to all races.

It's called lore.
11/26/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Lorthuron
It's called lore.

A lore that's extremely flexible. It's not really hard to attempt to justify any race/class combo at this point. Doubly so when you remember that the PCs are designed to be exceptional people and not representative of a race as a whole.

That said. I am in favor of using lore to build up and describe the addition of new class/race combos rather than just throwing them out there, since it's usually an interesting way to explore both the nature of the class and the nature of the race in question. And it can be used to create fun plot points.
Worgen monks would be awesome, but then again, the giant wall would of blocked any panda from getting in
11/26/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Batmonishere

It's called lore.

Lore was murdered by Metzen in 2004, when he joined the Undead with the Horde and revived Stormwind.

No he didn't, that's very wrong.
11/26/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Aeluron

It's called lore.

You lore purists are so silly. Lore changes and evolves. If they want new race/class combos, they'll create a reason for it.

Besides, from a business standpoint, I never understood the reasoning behind giving players less variety and options.
Gnome Paladins - Really know if they have learned to become priest from their dwarf brothers then they can certainly be paladins. Blizz made tauren both paladins and priest.

Gnome hunters - I'm tired of hearing they are to small to be hunters, they will get eaten by their pets. That a load of BS. You don't have to be big to shot a gun or bow, and since gnomes have the tech to make some of the best guns (or at least they should by now) I can see them as hunters

Night elf paladins - Like some have said above Its like this. Picture a Human. Now see him as a priest. Now that human decides to become something that can handle the undead and demons that run amuck, that a priest cant handle as well because of them having cloth and such.

That's what night elves got. They can use the light in a different way. The same goes for Blood elves and tauren. The tauren use the sun light god (sorry if I got that wrong) and can use this to become paladins and priest. Blood elf paladins started off by draining the power of a Naruu, then got their sun well back and use the power of the sun well to become paladins.

So What makes it that Night elves cant be paladins at all, while tauren and blood elves can?
You lore purists are so silly. Lore changes and evolves. If they want new race/class combos, they'll create a reason for it.

Because having every race be able to be every class isn't changing lore, it's completely removing lore, by removing the biggest gameplay mechanic that shows differences between races. If Orcs and Humans could be every class, knowing Blizzard, I'm not sure they would have even made any other race playable...

Besides, from a business standpoint, I never understood the reasoning behind giving players less variety and options.

So you can add new combinations later as a selling point for new expansions. Which is a pretty underhanded tactic, but is accepted as the norm anymore.
Human Druid (Gilneans were druids before the worgen curse)

They had low-level druid abilities, and called themselves druids when they heard fifth-hand rumors of the Cenarion Circle, but their initial system varied greatly from true druidism. They adapted when they met the Night Elves.
Blood Elves could easily be druids.
BE flight form: dragonhawk. BE cat form: lynx.

The existing races that can be druids skew their forms' features and colours: elongated or grimaced faces, tusks, green cats, blue bears.. BEs could have more natural colours in their forms without stretching like brown, beige, peach. Although I do understand how adding variety, colour and life to WoW is a part of why I love the world so much.

I see people adamantly believe that BE/druids are absolutely impossibru when I merely suggest the idea. Let's put our bias aside though. People that don't play BEs express disdain for them, and people that play druids are very content because trolls/worgen are available. Great. I wouldn't dream of taking that away from you. But to blindly attest that BEs are not closely tied to nature in one way or another is sheer ignorance or trolling.

- Consider how you felt when BE/Palys were announced.
- And consider how you felt when Tauren/Palys were announced.
There would be bandwagons if these were announced as being considered rather than confirmed, you all know it. The community loves to complain. Bull-headed people still do complain about the lore behind Tauren/Palys, but they've mostly quieted, and few listen any longer.

As Loreless Lor'themar Theron moves towards Lore-hungry Lor'themar, I believe that he is taking BEs in an admirable, calculated direction. It is also literal or implied that he has been working with the Darkspears almost every time we see him (in-game). Troll Druids. Who knows, as BE/troll relations continue to flourish.

Worgens I would personally say are even further from druids than BEs, as they were once human, and are now cursed. Worgen/Druids are cursed.

Additionally, to compare lore-wise, these combinations were unthinkable until added in:

● Gnome/Priest. It was said that Gnomes had no healing classes because they held themselves too high and relied on their innovative minds and inventions before worshipping anything else. But it took a cataclysm for them to rethink these ideals.

● Night Elf/Mage. The use of magic was what separated and ultimately exiled highbourne NE from their brethren. Now it's NBD. This signaled to me that NEs were open to any resources they could muster in order to persevere.

● Goblin, Worgen/Death Knight. Not a big problem lore-wise, but it does pain players that this was allowed, after all the rich DK lore that didn't suggest or include them for so long.

So far as GhostCrawler goes, he's great. He's a gentleman. Regardless of his view on BE/druids, which he is very entitled to (and I'd like to see more personal opinions from blues/devs), He is not a CDev. Metzen has the final say so far as I know, and he would like to see even Naga as a playable race, so there ya go.

With regards to the business aspect (gaming is business, afterall) people love BEs, and people love Druids. I'm not going to go into any kind of detail, but implementing content based on what people want, and what will keep them subbing is relevant, and has been marketed in the past. Period.

The faction balance to BE/Druids could easily be Human/Druids.

My point is, BE/druids are favourable, and believable. We've seen crazier things happen for race/class combinations, and I think there are combos that would only happen if Blizz were to make all combos possible. BE/Druids rank long before that, IMO.

Moving on, Undead/Palys, NE/all classes have strong cases as well.

Edit: sorry for the wall of text.
Worgen paladins and worgen monks and goblin monks. That is all. Worgen paladins and monks can be from the knights of the silver hand. :)
Zandalari Freethinkers were a grim necessity, introduced to explain the existence of Paladin gear in Vanilla Zul'Gurub. I doubt Blizzard has any desire to see them again.

And you should probably look up Grimtotem Sorcerers on WoWhead. They have two spells: Rejuvenation and Lightning Bolt. Clearly, the Tauren have a very different definition of "Sorcerer" than the rest of us.

Well, Shaman is generally used to describe a caster of some sort. WoW is just a setting that tied it to spirituality a bit more.

Fire Emblem, for example, uses Shaman interchangeably with Dark Mage...so I've read.

WCII also didn't refer to Shaman in any spiritual light. They were just described as the Orc's primitive casters, or something.

As for the thread, Night Elf Warlocks and Paladins should by all means happen.

Jarod would make a decent leader of the Night Elf Paladins. He's a warrior who was charged with making his own special force in the Night Elven military, yes? Using him would make it work.

And it's gone on too long that Warlocks get to have Demon Hunter stuff and yet Night Elves can't have that stuff even though it was a significant part of their racial kit in WCIII.
It depends, there are some combinations that should never happen like draenei warlock, orc paladin, or human shaman. Some other combinations would need a lot of new lore like Sunwalkers. And a few could be added without much new lore like draenei and tauren rogues.