Draenei Twins

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
When I created this character and two other draenei, I intended to play them as a set of triplets born around the time of the Orc's first crossing into Azeroth. Recently, I've been told in game that they can't be twins/triplets because while they have the same facial features/horns, they have different skin colors (the paladin is white, the mage blue and the shaman dark violet). I justified this by referencing Sacrolash and Alythess, the Eredar twins on the Sunwell platueau... who are also identical except for their skin color.

Is it plausible that twin draenei could have different skin colors like the Eredar twins do (since both draenei and eredar decended from the original Eredar race? If the skin colors for the Eredar twins is the result of the different magics they use, could the same happen to a set of draenei triplets that follow different magical paths (light, arcane, shamanism)?
Fraternal twins beg for recognition.
Speaking of the draenei twins I made a human warlock named ballythess and got a random person to make a human mage with me so we could rp as evil twins lol

To make a long story short the guy made it to level 5 ish i think and quit am so my warlock is staying at lvl 48 all alone

Now to answer your question...... i think its possible to have a draenei triplets I mean it would make seance...... like Trenk said maybe they are Fraternal
Fraternal twins don't have to look alike. I have cousins that are fraternal twins and while both tall and male, one has a slender build and the other has a more solid build. However, even identical twins can have a slightly different skin tone if one regularly spends more time in the sun.
I want them to be identical triplets save for skin tone. The only example we have are the Eredar twins who are identical save for skin tone, but it doesn't say if they are fraternal or identical twins. It is possible that their skin tones changed as a result of the magics they use... which is also supported by Valen's skintone changing to white later in life.

This suggests that even identical draenei twins (or in my case, triplets) can develope different skintones depending on the magics they practice (light, arcane and nature/elemental).

Would this be a plausable explaination why identical triplets could have different skintones (white, blue and violet)?
I am not 100% certain on this.

Personal opinion is that it is plausible and entirely possible.

Lore based opinion is a little different. The only times I can think of immediately where magic of any form has changed a person physically, it has been exposure to fel magic/demonic magic in some form ie blood elves eyes turning green, orcs going from brown to green skin, the broken survivors of the battle of Shattrath City (mentioned in Nobundo's short story 'Unbroken').

Also, just a nitpick here, Paladins use Holy magic and revere the Light, they don't use light magic.
11/16/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Kassalla
Also, just a nitpick here, Paladins use Holy magic and revere the Light, they don't use light magic.

They use the Holy Light... the mechanics is Holy and both are used almost interchangably, but noted for the future.

Yes... I understand that only Fel Magic is actually known to transform users and others, and that it could explain why the Eredar Twins had different skin colors... but without more information it is difficult to be sure.

We also know that Valen's skin color supposedly went white in his later years... but I can't find any reason why (and we know Valen didn't use Fel Magic). It is possible that Draenei and the Eredar are more sensitive to the different types of magic... which is plausible given that before their corruption they were masters of magics. Still... there just isn't enough information to say this is the case with certainty no matter how plausible.

I guess I'll need to accept that the only way to have triplets with different skin colors is as fraternal triplets... it isn't as bad as not being possible at all.
Fraternal twins can still look close to identical. I've known a couple pairs that I could barely tell apart despite not being identical. So character design-wise you can still have them look pretty much the same with tonal variations.
Generally, my rule of thumb is "If the lore doesn't say you can't -- then you can." So I think you're in the clear.
11/18/2012 09:19 AMPosted by Crayauchtin
Generally, my rule of thumb is "If the lore doesn't say you can't -- then you can." So I think you're in the clear.

No. That is a dangerous way to think. I've seen it used to justify a lot of really bad stories that also went against common sense and logic.

Also,

11/17/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Tyradanis
Fraternal twins can still look close to identical. I've known a couple pairs that I could barely tell apart despite not being identical. So character design-wise you can still have them look pretty much the same with tonal variations.

This.
No. That is a dangerous way to think. I've seen it used to justify a lot of really bad stories that also went against common sense and logic.

And I've also seen a lot of really good stories absolutely squished because "it hasn't happened in lore" and that's awful.

Furthermore, some things that are allowed by lore turn into really bad RP stories that go against common sense and logic. That's not the result of the lore or creativity -- that is the result of the RPer's talent, common sense, and logic. Or lack thereof, as the case may be.
The problem is that as Identical Triplets... they would have to be just that... Identical. There isn't enough information to say for certain that identical draenei twins (or triplets) can have different skintones, or that magic other than Fel Magic can change their skintone.

Without knowing more (and with access to Fel Magic resticted to the Eredar), basic biology has to take precidence... namely that identical siblings will be identical in appearance, including skintone.

This of course doesn't mean that they can't still be triplets and have different skintones... just that they will have to be fraternal triplets instead. As has been mentioned before... quite a few fraternal siblings can appear so similar as to be nearly indistiguishable from one another... which is close enough for me.

I do agree that there are some "Lore Police" out there that try to quash anything that they feel goes against their interpretation of lore (regardless of how good or bad the story may be). There are also some very horrible stories that do not contradict any provided lore (and don't try to create any new lore either). Even so... logic must give way to creativity... no matter how plausible an explaination one provides.
I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, but because Dreanei don't apply to humans at all, I could find them being identical. Whose to say that when they give birth to their twins, there are chances of different skin tones, but otherwise near exact identical features? As said, because it hasn't been listed in lore doesn't mean it's unacceptable. Imho, those who say such things are probably the very pretentious players that many people don't like being around due to the fact their very high on their horses and are controlling when it comes down to RP and what's 'acceptable'.

I find the idea interesting, and in the end, these are your characters.
On the lore police thing - sometimes you do need to have someone step in and swat you with a paper. Now this is all personal opinion, but being a lore junkie, every now and then I see something that is just plain bass ackwards. But there is USUALLY some room for allowance of creativity. The only thing I can think of that is an absolute nono is making a character related to a major lore character in any way. They can have a few interractions, but being a descendant of a major lore figure is just kinda out of line. Just my 2 cents.

And as far as the magic changing skin tone thing - One Idea I've mulled over in my head was, would an overload of light energy cause any kind of change? A body is kind of like a conduit for channeling the energy of the light, and it's not IMPOSSIBLE that having to channel immense amounts of energy would cause some physiological changes.
11/21/2012 02:51 AMPosted by Taegenn
Whose to say that when they give birth to their twins, there are chances of different skin tones, but otherwise near exact identical features?

Basic biology... basically any creatures born from the same egg (identical twins) will share the same genetic code and there for will be identical in all respects... including skintone which is determined by one's genetic code. Since it hasn't been established that identical Draenei twins (or triplets) can express different skintones in lore, one has to conclude that they are just like every other known lifeform in this respect and follow basic biology. The only example of twins among the draenei species is actually from the race they are an offshoot from and can be the result of magics those two practice. One instance is a fluke... it would take at least two or three indirect examples to show a patern for this.

Besides... being fraternal twins will work just as well... or triplets in this case.

11/21/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Fangoroth
One Idea I've mulled over in my head was, would an overload of light energy cause any kind of change?

While that could explain why the Paladin sister's skin has gone white, the problem then becomes how such an incident happened... and doesn't really explain why the third sister's skintone is also different now.

I think the best solution in this case will have to be the simplest... fraternal triplets. I want this to be a unique quirk for these characters... something interesting but not something that dominates their history (and any potential RP with them).
I'd say it's entirely plausible if there is prolonged exposure to the energy. I mean any physical change can happen. Look at Khadgar, who in the story is only like 19 but he looks 65 because of arcane magic. I think it's possible no matter what you use.
Plausible... yes. Supported by lore... not entirely.

At any rate... here is a more important question... would any of the races really know the difference between Identical and Fraternal twins (beside the obvious boy/girl combination for the latter)? My guess is no... twins and triplets are just that... with none of the identical/fraternal complications we know because of our knowledge of biology.

So... a set of triplets are born to a draenei mother... one with white skin, one with blue skin and one with violet skin. The white skinned child becomes a paladin, the blue skined child becomes a mage and the violet skinned child becomes a shaman... and all are quite powerful. It is rumored that each was gifted by the Light, the Arcane and the Elements and that their skin tones at birth were a reflection of their gifts.

Now we (as outsiders) know that this isn't likely... but to the draenei and most other races... this is as good an explaination for their unique talents and origin as any... right? We know that they are most likely fraternal twins and that their skin color reflects the nature of their magic is more coincidence than anything (yes... I did it intentionally, but let's look at this from the character PoV) and wasn't because they were gifted in that particular form of magic. In theory any of them could have followed any path they chose.
11/22/2012 10:52 PMPosted by Gargeras
I'd say it's entirely plausible if there is prolonged exposure to the energy. I mean any physical change can happen. Look at Khadgar, who in the story is only like 19 but he looks 65 because of arcane magic. I think it's possible no matter what you use.
Actually, Khadgar looks old as dirt because Medievh stripped away his youth while possessed by Sargaras
Hi there. The question has probably already been answered, but I'll give mine anyway.

Draenei are very long-lived creatures. That being said, reproduction is probably difficult. Getting a daughter or a son is hard enough, because think about it - if it was easy, there would be tons of draenei still alive (which is not the case).

Triplets probably are possible, but they would be a very, very rare case. I'm talking .001% or so. But it's possible.

But nobody's ever had them before. So if your character's mother did, who knows if they should match skin color or not? Who really cares, either? It's possible, and your mommy did it, Galacia.
11/23/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Eidthi
Draenei are very long-lived creatures. That being said, reproduction is probably difficult. Getting a daughter or a son is hard enough, because think about it - if it was easy, there would be tons of draenei still alive (which is not the case).

Why would it be any more difficult for a Draenei to have children just because they are a long-lived race? The biggest problem facing them is that they are still recovering from the near genocide that the orcs inflicted upon them while in the thral of demons. 80% of their population was wiped out and it has only been about 50 years since that event (a little less, but why quibble), and they were still being slaughtered by any orc that found them up until just a few years ago when some of them left Outworld on the Exodar. Add to that, they've been hunted by demons for over 20,000 years... so it is little wonder that they have a low population to begin with.

There are more factors to consider for a population than just how easy it is to have children and how long a race lives. One also has to take into consideration factors that can seriously deplete that population (old age may not be one of them, but death comes from many sources).

11/23/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Eidthi
But nobody's ever had them before. So if your character's mother did, who knows if they should match skin color or not? Who really cares, either? It's possible, and your mommy did it, Galacia.

Actually... we can't be sure of this... it just has never been documented before... except in the case of those Eredar Twins at the Sunwell Plateau. And that is the reason I asked... because I didn't know if there was any more lore than what I had available from WoWpedia. As for why this is important... it isn't... at least not to anyone who isn't RPing (especially with these characters). Some people want an explaination for every little detail that seems significant... and triplets with different skin tones may seem significant to some people... especially when it seems to symbolize the abilities of those sisters.