The problem with Attenuation

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
When I did this I suddenly felt as though all those times I died to frogger during Naxx and Ulduar did some good after all.
Oh. I just posted about this very thing in another forum. I was so nervous about this mechanic it had become a thing in my head and I'd make bad decisions. Practice in LFR fixed it for me. The problem wasn't the mechanic, it was my panic. For goodness sake, get your guild members back and have them do LFR until it clicks, which it does.
I usually bring temporal shield and then get hit by the last 2 or 3 so I can start casting early again. When i switched to my guild group 1 last week the healers started yelling at me and I just laughed as a 60k hot went up on my character that healed it all.

But yeah 2 or 3 attempts isn't giving much room for error, which while pugging these raids at the time being you need to assume there will be error.

Now if people are dieing to attenuation then its another story, simply getting hit is not a big deal.
I really wanna tell people who can't do this to download a bullet hell game and film their reaction.

It's not hard. Figured it out my first time- and Heroic mode looks astoundingly fun.
It's a bit early to be bringing pugs to HoF I think, so if he wants to be strict, I don't blame him. Personally, if I jump into a guild run as a pug, I'll give it 5, maybe 6, to see if the group really has a chance. If there are multiple people dying to Attenuation, I'll drop pretty quickly.

As for Attenuation itself, unfortunate circumstances aside, it's not hard really. Run in a circle. If I was a healer, I'd let people know that it's up to them to dodge for the most part. I'm not going to let myself get hit because I'm healing someone else who did.
Tell them to check their graphics settings. I couldn't get it our first night. Went looking at videos and noticed how different it was (aka you could SEE the rings). Talked in chat with guildies, changed some graphic settings, and it took a few tries after that to start getting it down because I would tend to stand too far back and then get caught in bounce backs. Yes, it's easy for some people, for others it takes a little bit of practice. Once you get it, you won't die much to it except for the occasional bad mistake. But I also got a mental panic about it after that first night. I still stack with my fellow healer to get a good starting range. Enough time to see which direction but close enough not to get forced too far out for the bounce-backs.
11/19/2012 06:28 AMPosted by Alashe
Oh. I just posted about this very thing in another forum. I was so nervous about this mechanic it had become a thing in my head and I'd make bad decisions. Practice in LFR fixed it for me. The problem wasn't the mechanic, it was my panic. For goodness sake, get your guild members back and have them do LFR until it clicks, which it does.

Practice definitely makes perfect. Our first night on it we had a healer who just couldn't dodge them to save his life (quite literally). He ran the boss on LFR three times (so who knows how many casts it was) until it finally clicked and he got the hang of the pattern. Next raid night he didn't take a hit at all on the Attenuation platform.

So I guess to respond to the OP, it's just a matter of practice, and for some people it's a lot more than 2 or 3 attempts' worth of practice. Get some guildies who'll stick with it.
Tell them to play a bullet hell game in their free time.

If you can do the first 10 levels of Touhou, Attenuation will be faceroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg

Capital idea, just get them to do Mountain of Faith on easy mode and they won't have trouble with anything in WoW anymore. Bonus points because it's probably the most emasculating way to teach how to dodge bullets.

I'll admit attenuation is a bit of a pain when you have to stand between a melee (who's so deep in the boss they had to buy it dinner first) and the boss to catch the Exhale and then ATTENUATION! But when I was paying attention it wasn't bad. Very punishing on lag though, since nobody can really stop to heal them.
11/18/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Azuremi
Any ideas how to get people who can dodge Attenuation?

Practice.
but seriously, tell them to join lfr and try to dodge the bullets, they get about 5+ chances in an lfr fight to see the exact mechanic (though it feels slower, not sure if it is, or i've just gotten good at dodging)
how can this thread be serious
2-3 chances is not enough. You will have to be more lenient with pugs that haven't done the fight if you want to succeed.

YOU. ARE. NOT. SUPPOSED. TO. PUG. THESE.

Stop thinking with a pug mentality. They have LFR if they want to pug. Stop destroying my tier because you can't be bothered with looking for a guild.

Um wtf? My response was a reply to the OP'S issues with PUGGING the encounter because his guild doesn't have enough members for them raid (and according to him, he lost members because of this fight).

Can it be pugged....yeah actually it can. The raid leader has be way more patient than the OP is though, if he wants to be able to actually do the encounter. But I highly doubt Blizzard would balance this raid or any normal raid (minus LFR) around the ability of pugs to succeed at the mechanics, so why don't you calm down a little bit.
What I worked for us was to tell people who sucked at it just to stop DPS and stop healing, and concentrate on dodging the rings. That pretty much fixed it.

We didn't even come close to the enrage timer.
11/20/2012 03:11 AMPosted by Postonforums
but seriously, tell them to join lfr and try to dodge the bullets, they get about 5+ chances in an lfr fight to see the exact mechanic (though it feels slower, not sure if it is, or i've just gotten good at dodging)

I'm pretty sure he spawns fewer rings. I notice the gap between them is larger on lfr.

Practice is the only way to get good at this. All those hours spent playing Contra 4 on the train ride to work really paid off for me.
Practice.

And tell people to rotate their camera so their doing a top-down or at least a high angle. If they're trying to dodge rings with the camera behind their toon, they will fail.

I'm not really great at movement fights, but it took me two tries before I figured out the circle dance by myself. I said it in vent, and the GL's response was "Oh, I forgot you weren't with us last week -- yes, you can just run in a circle." And I'm currently playing on a connection that at times blasts me with a couple seconds of crippling lag, still able to avoid attenuation.

Nothing wrong with bringing in a PUG or three if your guild is short a few. Better to raid with a couple capable people who don't otherwise raid.
Attenuation has been really challenging for me, so I feel the pain. I've never in 8 years of playing this game failed so freaking hard at a boss mechanic.

I've watched several videos now and learned some things, and I hope this week with a little practice I will not fail!

I pity your pugs. 3 tries is nothing - let them get the practice in that your raiders have gotten through these however many attempts.
The only people that have any problems with attenuation or alysrazor's tornadoes are keyboard turners.

The raid content in this game is not designed for people that are that bad. They should simply not be raiding.
Except that's ridiculous. It's a mechanic that can be mastered with practice, just like most of the rest of raiding.
11/21/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Alashe
Except that's ridiculous. It's a mechanic that can be mastered with practice, just like most of the rest of raiding.

Running in a circle should not require hours upon hours of practice. A wipe or 2? Sure, but lets not over complicate running in a circle like its some hard to learn mechanic.