Little Tanking Help on Stone Guards

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Hey guys, our guild is a little slow out the gates and we are just starting 10 man normal tomorrow for the first time.

I have a DK tank and ilvl is 470. I've tanked all the LFR encounters out to date with success, however that being said LFR Stone guards you just pay no attention, stack everything and AoE.

So I need a basic run down in easy to understand terms on how to not fail as a tank on 10 man Stone Guards.

At the bottom of the screen we get a petrify bar and to remove it we need the one to overload by being tanked with 1 other guardian (correct so far?) then after overload the petrify bar resets. Now during this phase while we are waiting for the petrify, do we need to taunt the other overloading guarding and swap them so the one goes out alone and stops overloading and now the new one has no energy and begins its ascent?

That is sort of how i understand it, but any tips would be great. Also what is the probability of staggering the hits and tanking them all together? So we start with them seperated and then 20 seconds in bring the single on in to the two others (thus staggering the aoes)??
Easiest way to explain it is always have the lowest energy dog with with petrifying dog so here we go dog A is petrifying but dog A is solo so taunt either one of the dogs over. when dog B is about 50% do a taunt swap you taunt dog C other tank taunts dog B dog A by this time should blow up. Now say dog B is petrifying other tank taunts the dog A that just blew up due to his energy being at zero
Does it help to have a taunt macro or mark each dog (green for jade, ect..)?? I know that this fight is all about tanks and i dont want to be the F up of the night.
11/19/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Quiigly
Does it help to have a taunt macro or mark each dog (green for jade, ect..)?? I know that this fight is all about tanks and i dont want to be the F up of the night.

Shouldn't really matter. There are only 3 dogs in 10 man. If you are the tank with 1 dog taunt the dog with no big glowy aura under it, if you are the tank with 2 dogs taunt the only other dog.

Shouldn't really matter. There are only 3 dogs in 25 man. If you are the tank with 1 dog taunt the dog with no big glowy aura under it, if you are the tank with 2 dogs taunt the only other dog.

10m you mean 10m dont you.

um... yeah...

Im sure he's at 370 ilevel too..

*snerk*
Hi Quiigly,

You have the right idea. You want the guardian that is petrifying the raid to explode, but without having either of the non-petrifying guardians explode. Each guardian has an energy bar and when that energy bar hits 100, that's when it explodes. They only gain energy if two or more of them are near each other, if you have a guardian off by itself, that single one won't gain any energy.

Note: When you start the fight you should notice some unit frames on the screen for each of the dogs that shows their energy levels.

The easiest way to handle the tanking is the following:

Step 1:
When you start the fight, have 1 tank take two guardians, the other tank take a single one.

Step 2:
If you are the tank that only has one lion, and yours is the one that starts petrifying, then you taunt the lowest energy guardian (aka the one that last exploded) off the tank with two. Rinse and repeat until dead.

Step 1.5 - ONLY at the very start of the fight!
The only tricky part is in the beginning. If the petrification starts on the guardian that is by itself, then the tank with the single guardian has to taunt either of the lions off the other tank (both the non-petrifying lions will be at about 30 energy), and then both tanks wait until the petrifying lion is at 50 energy (the other guardian next to the petrifying one will be at about 80 energy). At this point the tank with one lion taunts the petrifying guardian back to his side to keep the 80 energy non-petrifying guardian from exploding.

Alternately, if you don't get bad luck and the petrification starts on one of the two lions being tanked together, then you just wait until the petrifying guardian is at 50 energy and the tank with only one lion taunts it over. In both cases the start of the fight is the ONLY time you taunt the petrifying lion. From there on you just proceed with the strategy I described above in Step #2, with the single guardian tank always taunting the lowest energy lion off the tank with two if his activates.

----------------------

Just read what I wrote about the start of the fight several times and make sure you understand it. Once you're past the first explosion it's really simple; it's just up to the tank with only one guardian. At all times the tank with a single guardian needs to be aware of two things:
1. Has my guardian started petrifying? Yes/No
2. What was the last guardian to explode?

If the single tank knows those two things, then you're golden.

P.S. Also make sure your raid is attacking the group of two guardians and never the one that's off by itself as the single one will have 90% reduced damage taken.
thanks for the advice, ill let you know how it goes after tomorrow nights raid.
10m you mean 10m dont you.

I do. Fixed. Too much time in that other 10v25 thread lol.