Character name change

Customer Support
So the character name change service thing, it's 10 dollars, can I use prepaid cards such as a gift card or something, or does it have to be a credit card. I don't want to use a credit card, so if there are other methods please let me know!

Could'nt find anything on my own :(
You can use prepaid cards. There's a little blurb on the Credit Card Payment Assistance page:

Prepaid Credit Cards
If you use a prepaid credit card, be sure to register it online prior to use, as an address verification request will be sent to the card issuer. If no zip code or card holder name is available, the payment will not complete.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/credit-card-payment-assistance
Also, when using pre-paid cards for any type of payment it's a best practice to ensure that the card has atleast $1 over the price of what you're trying to buy. Blizzard(and some other online retailers) usually charge a $1 test fee to see if a card is valid before preceding with the total charge.

I'm not a banking expert so I don't know the exact reason why, but I'm guessing it could be associated with the payment they are required to be make to the credit card companies and it could be based off the amount charged. Meaning if they 1% transaction fees on credit card transactions and have to pay them even if the charge is declined it will be a lot less if the charge is $1 instead of if they just did $10 and the charge was declined.

Or it could be that I'm totally wrong and there's a completely separate reason they do the $1 test charges, but that's the only thing I could think of.
11/19/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Tïnkerßell
So the character name change service thing, it's 10 dollars, can I use prepaid cards such as a gift card or something, or does it have to be a credit card. I don't want to use a credit card, so if there are other methods please let me know!

A valid credit card is more readily accepted, Tinkerbell, that would be the recommended method of payment if you can.

Pre-paid cards can be used, though they are not officially supported. As Barolas mentioned you'll have better luck if you have the option to register the card. You'll also need to create a Billing Profile.

Additionally, if you have a verified Paypal account you can use that or you can add funds to your Battle.net Balance and use those.
I'm not a banking expert so I don't know the exact reason why, but I'm guessing it could be associated with the payment they are required to be make to the credit card companies and it could be based off the amount charged. Meaning if they 1% transaction fees on credit card transactions and have to pay them even if the charge is declined it will be a lot less if the charge is $1 instead of if they just did $10 and the charge was declined.

Or it could be that I'm totally wrong and there's a completely separate reason they do the $1 test charges, but that's the only thing I could think of.

IRL banker here. The reason for the $1 "trial charge" is to ensure that the card is open and valid. Most online retailers use it as a method of verification: this transaction also allows the merchant to request several Card Not Present verifications such as CVV2 code, address matching, and transaction patterning on the bank's side. The trial charge falls off at the expiry date (usually 5 business days) and is returned to the card's balance.

The more you know. :D