Huge exploit in game - Blizzard does nothing

Customer Support
There is an exploit in this game with ninjaing items from guild banks.

Im not going to explain how it done, but basically it allows ANY RANK to take ANY ITEM out of ANY PAGE they want to.

The problem im having is Blizzard knows about this exploit and is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. Here is my proof from a blue post when someone complained about the exploit.

Here is Blue response

"I'm not going to go into details on how one may accomplish this, though the best I can recommend is that permission to invite may want to be more closely guarded. Perhaps adjust permissions on the base rank.

Beyond that, please report this activity. It can be looked into based on our scam policies."

And here is another response -

"Folks, I'm aware of how it was done, the point of not going into detail was to not go into detail. :)"

You can see the whole post here - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200080115

As a guild leader this just infuriates me that blizzard continues to allow this exploit to exist.

I just want to make it clear, this exploit has NOTHING to do with guild ranks or permissions. The exploit allows any rank to take any item from any guild bank page.

Please fix this immediately blizzard.
You're operating under the assumption that it is something that is easily fixed, and that is extremely shortsighted. Sure, they could whip out a band-aid to the problem, but what else will it break? People never seem to think of that.

Bottom line, Blizzard knows about it, and will fix it if/when they can. Until then, if it happens, report the player to a GM and have it looked into.
You are completely misinterpreting their response. This "exploit" requires that someone in the guild with authority be involved...which is why he suggested reviewing who has permission to invite.

Also, the GM should take a close look at who is allowed access to the bank and invites anyway...it sounds like it's not setup properly.

They're not allowing anything...Guild Leaders need to properly secure their guild banks and only allow those with authenticators access to said banks. Tada! Secure.

11/21/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Dopey
I just want to make it clear, this exploit has NOTHING to do with guild ranks or permissions

Yes, yes it does.
Thread gets locked; OP posts about it again...

I can see this going over well.
You're operating under the assumption that it is something that is easily fixed, and that is extremely shortsighted. Sure, they could whip out a band-aid to the problem, but what else will it break? People never seem to think of that.

Bottom line, Blizzard knows about it, and will fix it if/when they can. Until then, if it happens, report the player to a GM and have it looked into.

From a mutli million dollar company that is a very lame answer.

But I said, thats not my main complaint. My complaint is it very pathetic that Blizzard is trying to keep this hidden. If they know there is an exploit and can not fix it in a timely matter they need to announce it to the public so that GMs of guild can take the appropriate steps if its not too late.

From a mutli million dollar company that is a very lame answer. The exploit is very simple and a few changed line of codes would fix it.

Since you obviously know exactly how to fix it and are apparently familiar with the WOW code and engine, why aren't you working for them as a programmer?
Thread gets locked; OP posts about it again...

I can see this going over well.

I have not and did not post about it again. WHich any blue can check if they like.

I saw the guys post linked on MMOchamp and Ive heard about this exploit before. And as a GM it makes me very mad Blizzard is trying to keep this quiet.
11/21/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Dopey
The exploit is very simple and a few changed line of codes would fix it.

So, you are a coding expert? You can go in and whip up those lines of code to fix it that easy? They are always hiring, so I expect you should be sending in your resume so you can go in and teach the people working there how things are done.

But I said, thats not my main complaint. My complaint is it very pathetic that Blizzard is trying to keep this hidden.

And if they wanted it "hidden" that thread would have been deleted, not just locked.
11/21/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Dopey
And as a GM it makes me very mad Blizzard is trying to keep this quiet.

You mean that they deleted posts showing how to do it and you're mad? They locked it because people kept explaining how it's done, not to silence those with concerns about it.

Again, as a Guild Leader, you should be aware that there are ways to protect the g-bank and that those who are concerned about this happening to them can and do prevent it.
11/21/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Dopey
Im not asking for someone to be fired. Im not asking for a refund on my money. I just want the exploit, that as been around since before MoP came out, to be fixed.

and in response, some of the forum regulars have correctly mentioned that a game the size of WoW, with millions upon millions of lines of code involved, fixing an exploit is never going to be an easy task.

Why? A change here can easily cause issues there, there and over there too, if you get what I mean.

Blizzard is aware of the exploit, as evidenced in several recent posts on this topic.
Ok fine.

Why then if Blizzard knows about it, and there are measures to prevent it that the GM can take, does Blizzard not release a statement.

SOmething like - "There is currently an exploit with the guild banking system, we are aware of this and are working hard to fix it. But until we fix it here and some steps the GMs can take to prevent it"

Thats all it would take.

As of right now there are 10000000s of GMs that have no idea that this even exists. Only a few small veiled mentions of it in the customer support forums does not suffice.
The exploit is very simple and a few changed line of codes would fix it.

Do you know what they are?

These few simple line? I think not.

Do you know anything about coding? No, its obvious you don't.

Yeah,yeah,yeah. I know. You've worked in IT for a 127 bajillion years and could code a superior game while in a coma.

Once again, if you actually knew what you were talking about you wouldn't say things like

very simple and a few changed line of codes
As I said, the level of fanboyism here is really startling

Yeah, giving you the correct answer is fanboiism.
11/21/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Dopey
youre honestly telling me they shouldnt have announced it to the public

Yes.

REGARDLESS....

The Blues in CS are not developers, nor liaisons to them. Additionally the developers do not read this forum for feedback,complaint, or suggestions.

You'll want to post your.........."feedback" in General.
11/21/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
As I said, the level of fanboyism here is really startling

Yeah, giving you the correct answer is fanboiism.

Nope, blindly defending a company when they are in the wrong is the exact definition of fanboyism. And you will see plenty of it this post.

So i ask again, even if Blizzard couldnt fix the huge exploit. Are you telling me they shouldnt have announced the steps to prevent it?

I posted this thread in the General forums. It was moved here by a blue.

I posted this thread in the General forums. It was moved here by a blue. Next.

They made a mistake.

Blizzard is aware of the issue. Report and such violation appropriately.

11/21/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Dopey
Are you telling me they shouldnt have announced the steps to prevent it?

Correct.

Most people don't read the forums. Or splash screen messages. All you'd do is tell MORE people how to use said exploit

Most people don't read the forums. Or splash screen messages. All you'd do is tell MORE people how to use said exploit

Let me make this clearer. As a GM there are several steps you can take to prevent this from happening to your guild. The steps are much more restrictive than I like to run my guild, but if thats what it takes then I will do it until the exploit is clear.

But there in lies the problem. Thousand of GMs have no idea this exploit even exists , so they have no idea on what steps to take to prevent.

Until Blizzard can fix this huge exploit, they need to release a public statement with just giving the basic steps to prevent this from happening to your own guild.

I really dont understand why that is so complicated, or how anyone could be against that idea.