Daily droprates: this isn't fun, Blizzard

General Discussion
I am really confused.

I just bought a quest that says go get 6 feathers, but I read here that I don't have to do that, I can just kill a caged crane that I guess is in that circle arena area and that will complete my quest without the feathers?

Or did I not have to buy this 6 feather quest at all and just kill a caged crane, when one shows up from some other sap that did the 6 feather quest?

Is there a quest (must be) to kill a caged crane? Where do I get that one? I take it on other days it will be a caged..something else?

Or did I not have to buy this 6 feather quest at all and just kill a caged crane, when one shows up from some other sap that did the 6 feather quest?

You nailed it right on the head sir. The only thing the gather quest does is unlock the ability to spawn the "real" quest objective, which is to kill the elite mob. However if someone else spawns it and you help kill it you basically bypass the gather quest and get just as much reward as the poor sap who just spent the last hour or more farming the items required to spawn it.

And by the way, after doing this quest start to finish just now and only getting a measly 220 rep for it, I think I'll be skipping it from now on.
11/28/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Ganthar
Is it possible to design the turnin such that everyone can contribute to a pool? I mean have everyone who is capable of collecing the drops able to add to a pool until "x feathers" (for example) are reached. Similar things were done on a grander scale for the AQ event, etc., so I don't think it would be too much of a challenge.

I like this better than my own idea. There could even be a little display somewhere on the screen for the zone that shows completion progress for each little quest. If the quest shows as active you'll know not to buy the quest crate.
I was thinking more along the lines of everyone who is on the quest when it is completed gets the automatic "Quest Complete" pop-up with relevant rewards, even if you joined the quest seconds before the last item was delivered. Yes, that would enable a potential for abuse (get the quest, sit there until it's completed), but I figure the benefits outweigh the abuse factor.
Here's my constructive feedback:

Worst. Quest. Ever. I mean it, from vanilla, that's the worst quest I ever did.

Everything that could possibly be bad about this quest, is. First, nowhere in the game it explains what you are trying to achiev (the whole arena thing). Evading cranes everywhere, surrounded by pandaren that will try to kill you (and they hit hard). But when you fight back, you can't kill them, which keeps you stuck in combat and unable to mount. Terrible drop rate. I was in a group of 3, and we had do ungroup to finish it, because it will only drop for one player. Nowhere in the game it was explained that only one person had to do it.

I woudn't do this quest again even if it rewarded 2k rep.
I actually reported this as a bug because I figured the only reasonable explanation was that a developer misplaced a decimal point.

The problem is expectations. Every other daily quest in Pandaria is designed with a fairly similar time investment and difficulty (goatsteaks notwithstanding). If you make something diverge from our expectations, you need to be VERY explicit about it.

I don't even think the blue's logic in this one makes sense (someone still has to spend all of their gaming time for a day killing cranes), but even if it did, this is something that the quest text should make clear, not be buried in some forum post.

Also, fair warning: if you get frustrated halfway through the quest and decide to hang it up and try tomorrow, the quest disappears from your log, wasting the commendations you spent on it.

That's not fun either.
11/27/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Jaecelynn
Some people have limited playtime in their day,

I understand this is an old thread, but a good point was raised here and I wanted to share my appreciation of not being alone in the matter of Rep and how long it takes to get it.

We all have RL, and within it, to find time to play such an epic MMO, to have to spend weeks, for rep,... it feels as though Blizzard should be paying ME to play this game :)

that is all
02/07/2013 09:38 PMPosted by Hobbitstomp
Some people have limited playtime in their day,

I understand this is an old thread, but a good point was raised here and I wanted to share my appreciation of not being alone in the matter of Rep and how long it takes to get it.

We all have RL, and within it, to find time to play such an epic MMO, to have to spend weeks, for rep,... it feels as though Blizzard should be paying ME to play this game :)

that is all

You realize of course that if ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE at all on your server since 5am, all you have to do is go tot he cage and kill the mob right? You don't have to go buy the trap, do the questline, in order to get the quest rewards?
Hey I remember this thread.

I haven't seen an animal in a cage for weeks.