Landfall = Forced PvP on PvE Realms?

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 22 Next
11/28/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Zhenogre
There should be times players are forced to flag for pvp, just like we are forced to do pve, no matter realm type.

I loathe pvp, and am not interested in it in any way. I do not see any reason why I should EVER be forced to flag for pvp when i am on a PVE realm to get away from that garbage. Go gank all you like on pvp servers, on a PVE server?

Rack off, not interested.

No one forces you to pve, mate, you can sit in BG's all you like.

This is yet ANOTHER example of the "respect" demanded of us, I fail to see why i should respect someone who is not interested in the wishes or needs of others, and is only interested in what THEY want.

I can't add anymore than I totally agree with this.
11/28/2012 10:21 PMPosted by Zhenogre
Thank you for the generalization and stereo typing all pvp players.

I am YET to meet one pvp'er who drops a duel banner without asking, and then doesnt resort to abuse and tantrums and "urt bad" "ur a chicken" "n000b" "baddie" "coward" and other more nasty epithets when i say NO.

In over two years on WOW, I am yet to meet one who asks first and has the adult grace to accept it as an adult when I say no.

Two years.

It isnt a generalisation, it's the blunt honest truth.

We rolled on PVE servers, so we dont have to put up with people like you. If we wish to pvp we will do so, at a time and place that suits us.

Go lock down Tol Barad. If you can.

Again I agree with this statement. In the 8 years I have played I have had this happen over and over. And yes, always when I refuse and nicely say, "No Thanks" I get abused with not only the above but profanity added into the mix. I have never had one to ask first and show any grace when told no. Agree, it IS the blunt honest truth.
on pvp servers its impossible to do the dailies for the new faction, like today the dailies ported me into a mine with 30+ alliance ontop of the port spawn killing those trying to do dailies. screw up much blizz? your comment "we want the community to be able to experience all content" is complete bs. so here is the list:

-cant do domination point dailies(too many opposing factions killing instead of doing dailies cause your ported into a killing squad)
-cant do brawlers guild because i dont have 80+k to blow on an invitation in the bmah, and after killing the "rare spawns" 50+ times between all of my toons, ive yet to see an invite drop.

So basically this new patch is a huge heaping pile of donkey crap. Am i getting this right?
I was hoping the quest giving Valor was a bug and was suppose to be conquest points because as the blue said the design was to encourage PVP. It's a great place for world pvp with all the places you can los and the multiple entry points.

I think blizzard did great design on it though a little confusing on how to get around the first time in the caves just please change the quest to CP and PVP gear!

See if it had been like tb or wg this would not be a issue at all!
TB is a great example IMO one side i could do pve dailies with no fear of pvp flagging. Then if my faction won tb i could go in the other side and do dailies once again with no fear of pvp flagging!

Or as like you said if the rewards were purely pvp based rewards we would not be having this topic at all. Those of us that dislike pvp would have had zero reason to go there!

But then i almost think that was the point. Blizzard wanted us pve players to go there to be in their pvp game.
I have noticed a trend over the years in these games. The devs always seem to think if i can just entice the pve player into trying my version of pvp they will like it!
Or the trend of well we spent all this time on making a pvp area but not a lot of players are going there... Oh i know lets put a reason for those thousands of pve players to go there so we can show how popular our work was.
This new area is a prime example. As was the hk51 companion part being placed in the only ffa area in swtor. As was conquest perks in rift that had a massive effect on pve performance in raids.
I think it comes down too. If there is something about the game you don't like.. just don't do it, its one small daily hub, I am sure most people complaining about it, don't need it anyway...I know I am a little jealous of not having 50-60 or even 100k+ gold.
Never mind the fact, I don't get to raid. Gearing 3 times ain't that fun :p disc pvp, shadow pvp, then a pve set depending on what I wanna do >< woof. Heh.
After coming here and reading up (good thing I did) I have put going there and doing those daily quests on hold until the bugs are fixed. I hate pvp and don't want to run into being flagged unfairly.
But then i almost think that was the point. Blizzard wanted us pve players to go there to be in their pvp game.
I have noticed a trend over the years in these games. The devs always seem to think if i can just entice the pve player into trying my version of pvp they will like it!

The entire new quest hub was built around the concept of the war between the Horde and Alliance. The whole thing was built around us fighting one another. Does anyone read anything on the new patches when they are released anymore? What did you expect was going to happen in a questing hub that is "as far as I understand it" based on encouraging pvp.

I happen to enjoy both pvp and pve. Personally I don't whine and complain when I get killed by another player, especially in the new questing hub. As usual things are being fixed to cater to all the whiing going on.

Remember, you don't have to do the new dailies. You are not forced to do them at all. I am sure however that this will get strong responses from staunch pve enthusiasts stating to goto a pvp realm but since I like doing both I think I'll stay where I am...

The entire new quest hub was built around the concept of the war between the Horde and Alliance. The whole thing was built around us fighting one another. Does anyone read anything on the new patches when they are released anymore? What did you expect was going to happen in a questing hub that is "as far as I understand it" based on encouraging pvp.

I happen to enjoy both pvp and pve. Personally I don't whine and complain when I get killed by another player, especially in the new questing hub. As usual things are being fixed to cater to all the whiing going on.

Remember, you don't have to do the new dailies. You are not forced to do them at all. I am sure however that this will get strong responses from staunch pve enthusiasts stating to goto a pvp realm but since I like doing both I think I'll stay where I am...

This for the most part.

People are forgetting that Dailies are optional and they can go on their regular routine of doing other things they did before Landfall, no one is forcing you to do these nor is anyone pointing a gun at your head to do it.
11/27/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Nethaera
Is this a bug? These PvE quests for PvE rep loot purchased with PvE valor are flagging everyone for PvP, on a PvE realm.

When are you being flagged? The quest should not flag you. Flagging for PvP should be the same as always on a PvE realm. If you're accidentally attacking opposite faction guards, you will be flagged as always.

I just got flagged about ten minutes as I was in flight form looking for supply boxes to destroy. It happened twice, both times I was in mid air and certainly not attacking anything. I suspect it was the flac canons that did it, since they were the only things that could hit me, but I certainly didn't engage anyone.

No actually it was NOT built on encouraging pvp. Not at all and the mods have answered to that and are in the process of fixing those BUGS. Those quests are not for HP or CP.. those quests are specifically for VP and the rewards are VP based, hence it is PvE based. There was no intention of it being an encouragement to PvP at all. However I am not interested in PvP .. hence why I rolled on a PvE server and do not do BGs. For PvE players, to be flagged when unexpected, is a royal turn off to a game we enjoy. You enjoy PvP.. good for you, but for many of us we DON'T and don't feel we should be shoved into that situation when it was not expected. Trust me, we are pretty savvy to know if it had been announced that PvP would be involved, most of us would avoid those daily quests like a plague.

By the way.. I will not go there and do the quests until those bugs are fixed.. so don't worry I am not silly to go there at this time.
This for the most part.

People are forgetting that Dailies are optional and they can go on their regular routine of doing other things they did before Landfall, no one is forcing you to do these nor is anyone pointing a gun at your head to do it.

Yes dailies are optional, pay the wow subscription it's also optional, but if you choose to play the game you want to have access to the best gear, and it happens that gear it's a random drop with one single try each week for each boss, if you are luck and it drops a piece you need, you will have other players who need it to... it's not really a easy fast way to gear up! So you do dailies to get that piece you need to make you stronger and don't be under geared the day the new patch comes!
Dailies are not mandatory i agree but .... you need them to get that piece of gear you couldn't get raiding
This for the most part.

Yes dailies are optional, pay the wow subscription it's also optional, but if you choose to play the game you want to have access to the best gear, and it happens that gear it's a random drop with one single try each week for each boss, if you are luck and it drops a piece you need, you will have other players who need it to... it's not really a easy fast way to gear up! So you do dailies to get that piece you need to make you stronger and don't be under geared the day the new patch comes!
Dailies are not mandatory i agree but .... you need them to get that piece of gear you couldn't get raiding

Very well said. Many of us do those dailies so we can get the gear to raid. And as this poster said they are not mandatory but I would like the gear that is offered and it is tough enough to have all the VP gear sitting behind rep but now we are faced with a buggy area that flags you out to PvP making it even more difficult. You not only have to contend with the NPC's but now you have to contend with flagged griefers in PvP gear against those of us that don't own one piece of PvP gear. If I wanted to PvP then I would have done it a long time ago and been geared enough to fight back.
on pvp servers its impossible to do the dailies for the new faction, like today the dailies ported me into a mine with 30+ alliance ontop of the port spawn killing those trying to do dailies. screw up much blizz? your comment "we want the community to be able to experience all content" is complete bs. so here is the list:

-cant do domination point dailies(too many opposing factions killing instead of doing dailies cause your ported into a killing squad)
-cant do brawlers guild because i dont have 80+k to blow on an invitation in the bmah, and after killing the "rare spawns" 50+ times between all of my toons, ive yet to see an invite drop.

1. The daily zone will taper off like ALL the other daily zones in a matter of days so don't blame blizzard because of a "FOTM" daily hub has world pvp/ganking.
2. Sorry to hear your server prices are that high as mine are running about 40K, though more then I'm interested in paying for it.
3. Killing rare spawns 50+ times in what 2 days... either your talking about the launch of MOP until today or you threw out a fake number because I am calling your bluff you've killed 25 rares each day when their respawn timer averages 4-5 hours each and apparently your server is high pop if the invites are that high in price.
5.1 PTR: Brawler's Guild and New Krasarang Wilds PvP Hubs

Level 90 characters are working once again on the PTR, so we took a look at the new developments in Stormwind, Orgrimmar, and Krasarang Wilds. There's two major features that we found: Brawler's Guild and Krasarang Wilds PvP Hubs. From what we've seen, it looks like the Alliance is getting a lot of love when it comes to these new areas that show off combat and PvP skills--their areas show that they've rebounded from Theramore.
Krasarang Wilds: New PvP Hubs

A large part of 5.1 is about the Alliance and Horde conflict escalating to the point where they've set up military bases on the shores of Krasarang Wilds.

Two new reputations have been added as a result: Operation: Shieldwall for the Alliance and Dominance Offensive for the Horde.

The Alliance hub is located at Lion's Landing in the east, and the Horde hub is located at Domination Point to the far west.

Each base has objectives for the enemy team to capture like graveyards and towers, commissions to earn that can recruit guards to protect your new territory, and daily quests.

Looks to me like it was about encouraging pvp... But I guess I was wrong... You can't change a fanatics mind no matter how many facts you shove in front of their faces...

Level 90 characters are working once again on the PTR, so we took a look at the new developments in Stormwind, Orgrimmar, and Krasarang Wilds. There's two major features that we found: Brawler's Guild and Krasarang Wilds PvP Hubs. From what we've seen, it looks like the Alliance is getting a lot of love when it comes to these new areas that show off combat and PvP skills--their areas show that they've rebounded from Theramore.

A large part of 5.1 is about the Alliance and Horde conflict escalating to the point where they've set up military bases on the shores of Krasarang Wilds.

Two new reputations have been added as a result: Operation: Shieldwall for the Alliance and Dominance Offensive for the Horde.

The Alliance hub is located at Lion's Landing in the east, and the Horde hub is located at Domination Point to the far west.

Each base has objectives for the enemy team to capture like graveyards and towers, commissions to earn that can recruit guards to protect your new territory, and daily quests.

Looks to me like it was about encouraging pvp... But I guess I was wrong... You can't change a fanatics mind no matter how many facts you shove in front of their faces...

Problem was blizzard put PVE gear on the vendors and not PVP gear. If they would have done gear like WG and such then this whole thread never would have been started...but they kicked the bucket on this one...

Problem was blizzard put PVE gear on the vendors and not PVP gear. If they would have done gear like WG and such then this whole thread never would have been started...but the kicked the bucket on this one...

I agree, they really should have put both gear on the vendors instead of just the pve gear, but it is also a place to encourage pvp, as it was build on the war between the Horde and Alliance... Did they drop the ball on certain aspects of the new hub? Yes! Was it meant to be 100% totally pve? NO! They are fixing the accidental pvp flagging issues now. Remember though that attacking guards has always flagged you for pvp so watch that tab targeting.
I enjoy PvP now and then as a way of doing something different from all the PvE options we have these days. I REALLY liked how Tol Barad worked in that there was a PvP aspect to winning the BG, but you didn't have to participate if you just wanted to do the dailies if your faction held the area.

The benefit that Landfall gives you is similarly PvP-as-PvE content, but this time in the open world area, in which you get commendations for downing NPCs in addition to other quests. Since the content is thematically about the faction war, you really have to expect that some players are going to flag themselves and actually PvP in the area. But on the other hand, I agree that should be largely a player choice where possible - perhaps some specific NPCs should flag you in combat, but largely should not, at least on non-PvP servers, because a big reason people play on them is because they aren't interested in forced PvP.

Removing PvP from the game entirely would make no sense whatsoever because it's a big draw for content and pretty necessary thematic progression, especially as it relates to WoW's factions. It adds an element of player conflict that makes the game feel more visceral, and has been around in MMOs since the beginning.

If you don't want forced PvP, don't play on a PvP server, simple as that. But I agree with making the Landfall content mostly, but not all, able to be completed without having to flag.

I was also curious that all the gear was PvE gear as well from the QM (not that I'm complaining about being able to get 496's), but it made a lot of sense that even completing PvE objectives in TB still offered PvP rewards because the main point of the area was PvP. Is there a possibility in a future patch for a TB-like BG that interacts with the Landfall area and how some things in the zone work?
11/27/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Izki
flak cannons

I figured out this is what was flagging me. I kept getting flagged and killed (not by other players) and would need to wait out my flag just in case, and I couldn't figure out what in the world was doing it to me. If I knew what was flagging me, says I... I'd quit doing it! So after four or five times, I figured out it was some kind of huge firey thing that would hit me, take away most of my health, and flag me at the same time.
Thanks for everyone's feedback on this issue. These quests are supposed to encourage PvP, but remain PvE friendly, so the more information we can gather regarding what might still be flagging players is helpful. The following hotfixes have already been implemented:

• Players are no longer flagged for PvP combat when engaging Lieutenant Ethan Jacobson.
  • Players are no longer flagged for PvP combat when engaging Chief Engineer Cogswrench.
  • Getting in combat with NPCs in Domination Point will no longer cause guards to assist them.
  • Removed Kor’kron Elite near a quest objective.

Obviously, some of you still seem to be getting flagged inappropriately. If you are still being flagged incorrectly, we'd like to address it.

It will help us investigate if those of you still experiencing issues could please let us know what exactly you were doing when you were flagged.

I don't think pve quest's is the best way to improve world pvp, maybe increasing the honor gained from killing people out in the world ?
11/29/2012 02:58 AMPosted by Okthand

I wish it weren't true, but I agree... the new hub (and the entire expansion, it seems) is trying to promote pvp (either world pvp or just feelings of faction strife).

The problem is pvp isn't enjoyable for a large portion of the player base, and the war between the factions hasn't been an important part of the story since Warcraft II. The story in MoP has been very disappointing so far - you have idiots fighting each other for no good reason, and then everyone fighting "bad feelings".

I'm sorry, this expansion did a few good things, but in general, I'm very disappointed with it so far. I'm hoping the story gets better in the near future, but kind of doubting it will.