General Discussion
Ah I get it! Lol.
11/30/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Fibromyalgía
Nobody wants to take a minute away from the QQ to read a joke?!

It is the lifeblood of these forums.

Submit to desire. Your thirst is hunger. I offer you ultimate pleasure.

Submit to my toast. My pleasure toast! You hunger for it!
Heh.

Not exactly a huge LOL, but it did make me smirk. Nice.
I approve.
As soon as I saw 'panda' and 'tavern', I knew where this one was going lol. Yah, Perry needs that one. =D
I feel that was too much set-up for a little word play.

As well as too much murder for a little word play.
You wrote it wrong. Take out the comma and then the joke makes sense (same as it did 3940634 years ago when it first surfaced). The badly written quotation is what makes the joke work.

Joke phailure by grammar policing
This is perfect for his character. I approve.
Eh? The comma being there is the whole point of the joke...

I think another comma after shoots would be better.

2 pauses for added effect.
You wrote it wrong. Take out the comma and then the joke makes sense (same as it did 3940634 years ago when it first surfaced). The badly written quotation is what makes the joke work.

Joke phailure by grammar policing

No, it's if you take the comma out that the joke doesn't make sense.

"Eats shoots and leaves" is what it's supposed to mean: the animal consumes the shoots and leaves of plants.

"Eats, shoots and leaves" actually means that the creature shoots a gun and leaves after eating.

This is why local grammar police like you need to stay out of the way of us grammar FBI agents.
To assist in proper joke conversion I humbly suggest this version:

A pandaren hunter walks into a bar. Immediately everyone gets up and runs out in panic. One of the patrons asks the bartender why everyone was leaving.
The bartender replies 'Ain't you heard? Them Pandarens eats, shoots and leaves.'
No, it's if you take the comma out that the joke doesn't make sense.

"Eats shoots and leaves" is what it's supposed to mean: the animal consumes the shoots and leaves of plants.

"Eats, shoots and leaves" actually means that the creature shoots a gun and leaves after eating.

This is why local grammar police like you need to stay out of the way of us grammar FBI agents.

Yes and no.
"Eats, shoots and leaves" doesn't really make sense.
"Eats shoots and leave" means that they eat both shoots and leaves. This is what the book meant.
"Eats, shoots, and leaves" is what the bartender thought the book meant, which means that they eat, then shoot, and then leave.
(And just for completion's sake, "Eats shoots, and leaves" means that the panda eats shoots, and then leaves)

The problem is that without any commas, it can be assumed that "shoots and leaves" is the object of "eats".
With both commas (that is, with the oxford comma, which most people don't know how to use), it can be assumed that "eats" , "shoots", and "leaves" are all verbs.
"Eats, shoots and leaves" doesn't really make sense, which is sort of the whole point.

So while you're partially right, you're also almost totally wrong; the problem isn't the presence of that comma, but rather the absence of the second comma.
A pandaren hunter walks into a bar. Immediately everyone gets up and runs out in panic. One of the patrons asks the bartender why everyone was leaving.
The bartender replies 'Ain't you heard? Them Pandarens eats, shoots and leaves.'

It's more attention getting with a gun shot though.

Gives a higher level of suspense for the pay off.
11/30/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Terciel
the problem isn't the presence of that comma, but rather the absence of the second comma.

Mmhmm.

This is why you leave it to me, the comedy private investigator.
11/30/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Terciel
So while you're partially right, you're also almost totally wrong; the problem isn't the presence of that comma, but rather the absence of the second comma.

Actually it's considered old hat now to have a comma before the 'and' when listing off things in a sentence. It doesn't change the meaning at all.

But I can see how people would interpret it that way. Whatevs.