Lore Question for character backstory...

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
12/01/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Kassalla
Lan'tressor the Blade (sp?) - the half breed in Nagrand (I want to say half orc/half draenei, but not 100% certain on that)

You're correct.

12/01/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Kassalla
Me'dan

This... I... does he count as a halfbreed? I mean, there's three different races going through his veins.

12/01/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Sydric
Must every thread that asks a lore related question dissolve into arguements? Really? You have nothing to add to what is already been said. The original poster probably made up his/her own mind and is doing it how they want to, so your arguing is pointless.

Debate allows a more decisive answer to win free.
Or confuses the issue by devolving into a petty disagreement...

I have yet to see any reason to keep beating the issue if no one even agrees on what they are even arguing about...
For reference, from Dungeons and Dragons, the half-breed offspring of a Dwarf and Human:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Mul

I once had a Mul character in a game and he was both an outcast, and a heroic barbarian who selflessly threw himself into the thick of it for the sake of protecting those who actually had a future, unlike his doomed existence as nothing more than a slave bred for combat and pit fighting. He died holding off legionnaires of an invading army after the party botched an assassination attempt at the enemy faction's general. They recovered his body after the days of battle and cremated him in a manner befitting of a badass viking, packed with swag and songs of glory.
Ellywicket.... you're so cute. Can I pat your little green head?
That depends.

Do I get a cookie?
That depends.

Do I get a cookie?

*Dangles a conjured cookie over Elly's head.*
Oh, no. I know all about your Chinese food Mage cookies.

I'll just be hungry later. That stuff disappears on you after half an hour.

I want a real cookie.
Damn... I can't bake. ;-;

CAN I GET A PANDA IN HERE AND MAKE THIS GNOME A COOKIE??
*walks out of a nearby kitchen with a big platter of cookies* ^^' well I'm not a Panda.... Anyway! I have freshly baked chocolate chip as well as [s]Macedonia[/s] macadamia nuts and white chocolate chip...and I made some of my sister's favorite - cookies with chocolate covered espresso beans.

EDIT: Why does the strike-through code not work...? o.O???
Macedonia nut.

Now that's a new one.

Deliver unto me this former Yugoslavian cookie.
...macadamia nut.

My spell check hates me XD
12/01/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Maoseitun
The idea that halfbreeds - at least half-human half-elf, half-human half-dwarf, half-human half-gnome, etc. human halfbreeds from the Alliance, would be disfavored and shunned and etc. is old lore. It's lore that isn't relevant with the current logic. That a halfbreed is still shunned - despite the fact the expansions have focused on a coming together for all the Alliance races - is asinine.

/scratch head.

Why? How is this old?

It's not like Metzen brought this up quite a few years back when Warcraft was called Farmquest and you played a human cabbage farmer in Westfall who had to drive off drunken dwarves and stealing gnomes. There's no time frame in which the Alliance was "divided" and bigotry allowed to run rampant that we've been allowed to see.

Metzen said what he said when the Alliance had a clear enemy to bring down. The material which says halfbreeds have it hard and are disliked was made when the Alliance had something to bring down and unite them.

It's abundantly clear that there is no logic to you saying this by any means. You're simply throwing about the term "old lore" to try and discredit a counter-point which is firmly grounded in the facts and knowledge that we have, and cannot be refuted beyond "I disagree".

12/01/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Ellywicket
I once had a Mul character in a game and he was both an outcast, and a heroic barbarian who selflessly threw himself into the thick of it for the sake of protecting those who actually had a future, unlike his doomed existence as nothing more than a slave bred for combat and pit fighting.

This would be an example of doing a half breed right, especially in the Warcraft cannon.

Fo that reason alone, I'm sure Silver hates it and takes deep offense to the suggestion of it. =/
Uh, no. The Dwarves were allies of the human kingdoms long before the opening of the Dark Portal in WC1. They were also among the first to step up to the Alliance in it's infancy when Lothar started pushing for it. Humans and Dwarves have a long, respected history together in Warcraft lore.

you realize my post has already been corrected by someone else right?
Why? How is this old?

It's not like Metzen brought this up quite a few years back when Warcraft was called Farmquest and you played a human cabbage farmer in Westfall who had to drive off drunken dwarves and stealing gnomes. There's no time frame in which the Alliance was "divided" and bigotry allowed to run rampant that we've been allowed to see.

Metzen said what he said when the Alliance had a clear enemy to bring down. The material which says halfbreeds have it hard and are disliked was made when the Alliance had something to bring down and unite them.

It's abundantly clear that there is no logic to you saying this by any means. You're simply throwing about the term "old lore" to try and discredit a counter-point which is firmly grounded in the facts and knowledge that we have, and cannot be refuted beyond "I disagree".

... Wow, have we been playing the same game these past few years? Cause I honestly don't think we have.

Let's take a look at the timeline, shall we?

Vanilla WoW - yeah the Alliance and Horde were kinda skirmishing, it was the Cold War era - neither side was really at one another's throats, but neither side was really at peace either.

Burning Crusade - a bit more tense with the reunion of the First and Second War veterans who crossed the Dark Portal, the debacle with the Blood Elves/Draenei/orcs, but overall still in a sort of Cold War state.

Wrath of the Lich King - started out with a common goal, then ramped up quickly to Alliance and Horde being in a state of full on war.

Cataclysm - A fragile unity between the two factions which slowly eroded over time, with neutral parties being the only ones able to unite the elements of both the Horde and the Alliance against their common foe.

Mists of Pandaria - All out war between the Alliance and Horde. Blood on the field, massive battles, armies doing battle to conquer or protect Pandaria.

This is how the expansions have been going so far.

If you cannot see the difference in relations between the Alliance and Horde, you're being willfully ignorant. In Vanilla and BC the cause can be argued that the lore was current. But, LOGICALLY, over time as the tensions rose between the two factions and the threat of invasion started to become a very real threat (made all the more shocking by Theramore) I'd highly doubt that a RACIAL MAJORITY would allow bigotry to blind them. Individuals? Yes. You can't change every last person's mind, which isn't what I was arguing mind you, but a majority of the humans would accept half-elves for the sheer fact that they may soon be relying on that same half-elf to save their hide from an orc.

The lore is older because it logically does not fit in with the current theme of the game. Just like with warlocks, it's older lore that they are unaccepted by society, but it's now current lore that they are tolerated as long as they don't practice in public and confine their sorceries to a battlefield.

It was older lore that had paladins seeing mages as being on par with warlocks, soulless spellcasters who shunned the Light. It is now current lore that paladins and mages, for the most part, get along fine and work well together.

Hell out of all the races the Alliance has, only the damned Gilneans should be suffering prejudice - but they aren't. Know why? Because you don't piss off the men and women who could be watching your back on the frontlines.

If we were in a Cold War setting still, yes, you'd be right. The distaste for halfbreeds would be more apparent, more accepted by the majority. But we're not in that state. We're in a state of total war. The idea of a halfbreed living among humans is much less outrageous than the idea of an orc rampaging through the Canal District.

12/01/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Hallinton
Fo that reason alone, I'm sure Silver hates it and takes deep offense to the suggestion of it. =/

... really?

Just stop, you're proving you're the pigeon in your own analogy at this point.
12/02/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Wrath of the Lich King - started out with a common goal, then ramped up quickly to Alliance and Horde being in a state of full on war.

Umm... what? I've played this game a very long time and I don't see this at the end of Wrath. If I remember correctly, it took the combined might of the horde, the alliance, the argent crusade and the ebon blade to bring down the Lich King.

I don't remember it ever being anything but a cold war until now, when things have heated up with the horde invading Pandaria and the alliance trying to stop them.
Umm... what? I've played this game a very long time and I don't see this at the end of Wrath. If I remember correctly, it took the combined might of the horde, the alliance, the argent crusade and the ebon blade to bring down the Lich King.

I don't remember it ever being anything but a cold war until now, when things have heated up with the horde invading Pandaria and the alliance trying to stop them.

Mostly in Icecrown, IIRC, though I think also in Grizzly Hills, and I know in Howling Fjord there were a few quests/instances of Horde/Alliance aggression.
Yikes...Just got done reading through eight pages of arguments in one thread and stumble into an entirely new argument between the same four or so people in another thread.

Hal, Kassalla, Maoseitun, Dragonson....While I may not understand nor necessarily agree with your habits of coming into threads and starting up these huge argument wars that never seem to resolve themselves, I do have to applaud your tenacity and spirit.

Also I mean no offense when I say this but I'm kinda glad none of you are from my realm....If I knew folks like you were potentially watching in the rafters as I RP'ed I very much doubt I could enjoy myself. I mean this as a compliment to your unwavering resoluteness and not as an insult to your character.
12/02/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Hadhan
Also I mean no offense when I say this but I'm kinda glad none of you are from my realm....If I knew folks like you were potentially watching in the rafters as I RP'ed I very much doubt I could enjoy myself. I mean this as a compliment to your unwavering resoluteness and not as an insult to your character.

Honestly... if something's going on ingame that I don't agree with, I ignore it :P
12/02/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Kassalla

He's wrong. While the distaste between the two factions grew over the course of Wrath (primarily due to the Broken Front attrocities and Garrosh just being several bags of dicks), it hadn't escalated to actual war by the end.

When war itself broke out was distinctly in the Cataclysm; specifically in Thrall's Shattering novel. After the Cataclysm broke out the Alliance was basically just trying to recover from it and rally against the Twilight threat; and Garrosh saw this as an opportunity to launch several offensives against the Alliance in a bid to take more land and catch them on the back-step. At that point it became a legitimate war, though the Alliance was still primarily focused on defending themselves from the Horde and countering the Twilights whilst the Horde was focused primarily upon trying to bring the Alliance down.

Pandaria and -late- cataclysm is when the Alliance actually began pushing back, and therefor stomping Horde face.

With that said, you and I have been here awhile Kass. We're both well aware that Silver will never admit he's in the wrong, let alone actually acknowledge it when someone calls him out on something which is blatantly incorrect or false, so don't expect any form of acknowledgement despite the fact that he's obviously wrong on this part. Honestly, I wouldn't bother arguing with him at this point: It's so pointlessly one sided.

Just point out the glaring lore and reading comprehension errors which seem to be quite common on his part and leave it at that. Anyone with half a brain will see how much of an idiot he is and just disregard him without us having to stoop to his level.

12/02/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Hadhan

I've got a character on your server. Beware.
12/02/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Hallinton
without us having to stoop to his level.

I think this is the most amusing thing I've ever read to date.

Trumps Ciaphis Cain.