Afraid of casters?

Mage
I am, by no means, a great mage. I'd like to think i'm decent, but far from being considered "good".

With that being said, I am terrified of other casters, ele shams in particular. I feel like they outplay me extremely well. What do.
Practice.
While it’s important to know your class in and out, often you don’t have the opportunity to have that same level of understanding of other classes. Not correctly knowing how enemy abilities work or when they will be used against you only puts you at a disadvantage. Shamans in particular have a spell called Ascendance which -- While in the form of a Flame Ascendant, Lava Burst has no cooldown and Chain Lightning is empowered to become Lava Beam. This is their major cd you need to watch for; use cd's to shut them down like deep or cs... if you have to block do so.

Other than knowing the class, dueling actually helps a lot to understand how to beat someone. (repetition)
While it’s important to know your class in and out, often you don’t have the opportunity to have that same level of understanding of other classes. Not correctly knowing how enemy abilities work or when they will be used against you only puts you at a disadvantage. Shamans in particular have a spell called Ascendance which -- While in the form of a Flame Ascendant, Lava Burst has no cooldown and Chain Lightning is empowered to become Lava Beam. This is their major cd you need to watch for; use cd's to shut them down like deep or cs... if you have to block do so.

Other than knowing the class, dueling actually helps a lot to understand how to beat someone. (repetition)

Solid advice, thank you. It's more than just ele shams though D: Other mages seem to give me a hard time as well.
It's hard to know when to play stupid to get them to pop cooldowns and when to pop cooldowns and burst.

It's really important to know other classes' abilities. It sucks, you may have to level one a little bit to understand them, but once you do, you're at least on equal footing if not better than they are.

80% of PvP is done before the battle even begins. Gear and knowledge. If neither gear nor knowledge will determine the outcome, it then becomes about skill.

If you're outgeared or outsmarted, you have no chance, and besides which, it's so easy to fix those problems.
11/29/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Positive
Practice.

this

and play with friends

once you get good (and geared), you will steamroll anyone who gets in your way
Mages used to give me a lot of trouble until i started duelin one of the mages outside of org back in cata.

While things have changed, the premises still remain the same.

freeze either after they blink or cs right after the freeze to prevent them from getting out of it or having them pop a major cd.

Try and juke there cs if you have to cast.

Don't get frozen yourself.

Deep freeze can force cds if they dont have blink up.

If you can predict when they are csing (aka if they are running torward you with a nova -> cs) you can pop mirror images to get them to cs wrong.

Playing aggresive can really pressure mages into making mistakes.

It kinda a tug of war, you chain your cc's together get some damage in and then buy youself time until they come back.
Face your fears man. Just read about shamans, and try to figure out how you can counter abilities. They're pretty squishy if you use your abilities to your advantage.

You just gotta get your face smashed for a while really. It sounds lame, but how do any of us get good at anything? Just keep working at it, and if you really want something you'll figure it out man. Good luck newmage.