A friend was just offered Brawlers Guild Pass

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 18 Next
Brawler's Guild will be a business for most, just like leveling guilds
12/02/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Snowfox
"A sucker is born every minute" - PT Barnum

And a wise guy is born every hour to take care of the other 59.
for 70k gold...

I thought this system wasn't going to breed elitism. All this does is help the rich get richer and create a worse community than we already have.

And I got in without paying a dime for the invite. I notice how you only have a problem with gold being spent, but don't mention time being spent farming.

Why is it that gold is so evil when it is a completely in game currency. But time spent waiting for a rare mob to spawn for a non-100% drop rate of an item good? All gold is doing here is replacing the time factor.

Not everything has to be now. The Brawlers guild isn't going anywhere so you won't be missing out on anything by not being the first to experience it. If you are unwilling to wait and invest the time to farm an invite why shouldn't you have the option to buy an invite?

Even if they didn't have invites on the BMAH you'd still have selling of invites. The only way you wouldn't is if you removed the ability for players to invite other players. And guess what? If they did that it truly would be elitist only.

It would just be the elite that can farm a rare spawn for a rare drop.
12/02/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Narasha
And I suck.I only have 5k gold,used to be 7,but I spent 2k on a Magical Crawdad."shrug"Don't know if it was worth it or not.

Magical Crawdads are ridiculously easy to fish up and have a semi-decent drop rate. I never spent more than 30 minutes farming for one and always got the pet on my first wish.
12/02/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Brennvin
This only happens when the number of participants is really low, and is also due to the fact that not many guild invites have yet to be distributed. As the guild grows, the participant numbers will stabilize and it's likely to automatically disable CRZ for the guild.

Maybe you should define "tight-knit". I, like others, believed this was to be something to promote server community. Something CRZ directly undermines.

So, what exactly is "tight-knit" to you guys then?

Because zoning into random people from random servers you probably wont see again isn't what many average people would consider "tight-knit".

It would obviously be better to leave the club as super small with people from your server and have it "grow over time". You guys are so full of double-talk. You can't have it both ways. You can't claim it's meant to be "tight-knit and grow over time" and then CRZ it and say "well, because some servers don't have enough people in it yet".

Blizzard is so ridiculous. Learn to lie better, please.
If you wanted a tight knit underground feeling, you wouldn't have CRZ'd it.

This only happens when the number of participants is really low, and is also due to the fact that not many guild invites have yet to be distributed. As the guild grows, the participant numbers will stabilize and it's likely to automatically disable CRZ for the guild.

In other words, in order to achieve a tightly knit underground feeling, Brawler's Guild will be constantly filled with new random strangers from other servers until there are enough members that the guild can be constantly filled with new random strangers from your server.

I understand that CRZ is shiny and new, but it's not a panacea. With all due respect, this rationalization for using it in brawlers guild appears self-defeating.
12/02/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Mugrot
"tight knit" by that you mean, completely disjointed from the use of CRZ coalescing...

On my realm there is only one other realm being shared. And with that one realm there was a grand total of seven people watching matches and five of those seven attempting matches earlier this morning. Sure it was a Sunday but just because it is CRZ doesn't mean you can't have tight knit. One or Two I've even seen competing before.

Using CRZ is the devil reasoning is just as bad as using "you can buy it with gold so its the devil" reasoning.
12/02/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Sakiri

You avoided the point of the comment.

It was supposed to promote server community and have a tight knit feel to it, yet you couldn't exclude it from your precious cross realm garbage.

I don't care if it's supposed to be a temporary thing. It should not have happened, not for something with the intent of this. GC said it can be turned on and off at will, yet it could have been completely off by default for the Guild, yet was NOT.

That's where I have a problem with it.

That noted, I'm not bothering. Why? I figured it could be fun... until I realized I have better things to do than wait 2 hours in a line to beat up a mob by myself, all the while praying the shmucks ahead of me wipe fast so I can have my turn. If it did anything, it'd give me more animosity and alienation. I don't want to watch others fight, I don't root for others to win. I want them to die already so I can get my shot.

Soon as I heard it was one at a time, I knew it was going to be a waste of time.

Everyone wasting thousands of gold, giving each other grief and whatnot for an invite to a private little CRZ'd club of waiting in line half the day to beat on someone. Yeah. Lots of fun. Not.

/rant

You really should read what you quoted. The reason for CRZ was clearly given. Not only that, CRZ will be disabled when the guild is stable.
In other words, in order to achieve a tightly knit underground feeling, Brawler's Guild will be constantly filled with new random strangers from other servers until there are enough members that the guild can be constantly filled with new random strangers from your server.

I understand that CRZ is shiny and new, but it's not a panacea. With all due respect, this rationalization for using it in brawlers guild appears self-defeating.

So you have a problem with random groups from different servers but not random groups from the same server? It doesn't make a difference if its random people from the same server or random people from a different server. Its the same effect.

Have you even sat at the guild and watched matches? I've seen the same people from nesingwary yesterday and today. And I'm not from that server. I've also seen the same people from my server and a few new ones.

CRZ isn't anti tight knit. It just allows you to have a community, watch matches, and experince the full Brawlers guild experience until your own server gets enough people. Which is at least 10 a day with more as people kill rares and attain rank 7.
12/02/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Rhorle
"tight knit" by that you mean, completely disjointed from the use of CRZ coalescing...

On my realm there is only one other realm being shared. And with that one realm there was a grand total of seven people watching matches and five of those seven attempting matches earlier this morning. Sure it was a Sunday but just because it is CRZ doesn't mean you can't have tight knit. One or Two I've even seen competing before.

Using CRZ is the devil reasoning is just as bad as using "you can buy it with gold so its the devil" reasoning.

Unless you can back up that reasoning such as:

The problem with CRZing it and then trying to argue "tight-knit" is that, unlike players on your own realm, you will likely never see a player over CRZ again, so there's no point in fostering a community relationship.

Or

Making them purchaseabe with gold is clearly an attempt at another gold sink to remove more gold from circulation and from the inflated pockets of wealthy players. However, this results in those wealthy players using their capital to make money and defeats or lessens the purpose of the gold sink.
Therfore it can be reasoned that Blizzard supports ELITISTS. Looks like they are trying to get 'l33ts' of other realms to bond...

(and cheats like gold buyers or botters)

If you want to be silly, then yes. But guess what they always have. There have always been non 100% drop rates in the game and there have always been things that not everyone gets to see the second it is released in a new patch.

You can't claim elitism just because it uses gold as a gating mechanic while excepting drop rates, gear checks, rep checks, year long achievements, and all the other methods that WoW (and other MMO's) use to limit the obtainment of items.
12/02/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Wreckingball
Blizzard isn't even trying anymore this whole xpack feels like the argent tournament x 1000.

Not a single thing in that sentence made sense.
So, you're creating content that you don't want everyone to experience, but rather just a select "tight-knit" group? But wait, wasn't hardcore raiding, like Sunwell, butchered because you didn't want to create content that not everyone has access too? I'm failing to see the difference.

Everybody that wants to experience it will be able to at some point. Initially though, it's going to grow over time.

Same was true for TBC style raiding. They got to see it eventually I remember when true difficulty set the pace of progression. Not timed lockouts and gimmicky heroic modes etc. Oh how I miss those days where i didn't feel like everything got handed out like Halloween candy. Oh, but wait.. i cant get a brawlers guild invite unless I pay stupid prices. Thats soooo much fun! :/
Unless you can back up that reasoning such as:

The problem with CRZing it and then trying to argue "tight-knit" is that, unlike players on your own realm, you will likely never see a player over CRZ again, so there's no point in fostering a community relationship.

Or

Making them purchaseabe with gold is clearly an attempt at another gold sink to remove more gold from circulation and from the inflated pockets of wealthy players. However, this results in those wealthy players using their capital to make money and defeats or lessens the purpose of the gold sink.

You clearly haven't had any experience with the brawlers guild because nothing of what you want are saying is true. The fact is you do see the same people from different servers because those same people are in the same boat as you. A low same server pool.

The Brawlers Guild isn't meant to function with you as the only participant. It may be fun to have no waiting in line but part of the experience is to watch other battles. Share buffs, share consumables, share tactics, and just have fun hanging out with others while you attempt some solo challenges.

And the only way someone can profit off of the BMAH Brawlers Guild Invitation is by attaining rank 7 in the guild which is no easy feat in itself. Why shouldn't they get a reward for getting to the second to last rank of the guild? That is after all the only real reward (other then a pet and random gold from winning a match) that you get from the guild.

And in a few weeks those invitations will be dirt cheap because 10 appear every day on the BMAH plus however many drop from the rares killed. And don't forget that you can only invite one person per character since the invitation is based on an achievement.
Everybody that wants to experience it will be able to at some point. Initially though, it's going to grow over time.

Really?

Cause I never really got to go far into Sunwell, but then I waited an expansion or two and I can do it now!

Hypocritical to say the least.
I personally dont mind the CRZ in the brawler's guild. it's actually enabled me to talk to other people on strats for the fights and we sit in raid groups for raid buffs
Seems this will be a good thing for the gold sellers out there farming the rares. Nobody will get one until they can afford to pay the gold sellers 70+ gold. Way to go Blizz for encouraging gold sellers while the real players will have to struggle again.
When I first heard about Brawler's Guild... I was excited. It promised 'tough solo PvE fights' where you could test your skill.
Then I learned about how it was going to be a slow growth project. I grew less excited.
Then I learned about how the design was for you to wait 10-15 minute seeing things before you fight, and I grew less excited. I don't really care for sitting around talking strats and having everything explained to me all the time. Sometimes, I want to get my face pounded in a few times while I figure out what to do... and that seems to be very much NOT what we are getting with the brawler's guild.
In the end, I decided I could find other ways to test my skills. I no longer have any great desire to see the content of the Brawler's Guild. It is something I might do eventually, but the appeal has been lost for me. Do I want everything handed on a silver platter? No. I honestly like having to work for some things. I do not, however, like the gated approach based on how much gold someone is willing to spend/how much time they care to camp rare spawns. I would much rather have seen some cool fights with high difficulty curves to start with, than an approach like this. It would have felt more like the guild 'noticed' potential... and less like a contest of who spends the most time getting gold/camping. If mechanics based, it would have given skilled players a fairly even playing field... and made it that much more interesting to get into.
Oh well, there are other ways to test the limits... and have fun doing it.