High latency boomkin?

Druid
I was(rightfully) pulled from the raid roster due to low DPS. The thing is, I know what I'm doing as far as the basic rotation and DoT management and all that goes. My problem is I'm on satellite internet. 3G service is out of budget for the data caps we'd need(lots of streaming video and some large downloads), cable and DSL literally do not exist here.

So, anyone have tips on playing Boomkin on a high latency connection? My latency is normally around 725-750ms, occasionally dipping to the 680s(which has to be near the physical limits), and peaks up around 820.

I'm open to nonstandard rotations, addons, whatever might work to get me out of tank DPS range. I don't expect to be topping charts or even being better than last place DPS, just something that looks like I'm an actual DPS again rather than a tank. I was much better before I moved.

3g as I said appears to be out of budget, but if anyone knows of a low priced, reliable service that can support two PCs streaming HD video, with a third possibly web browsing at the same time... and has a data cap somewhere above 10gb, it might be considered.
Casters in general suffer greatly from high latency. There really isn't all that much that can be done to compensate for it, you simply lose out on too many casts due to the extra time it takes the server to verify your actions.

As much as I hate to say it, you're far more likely to see a large improvement by either going feral or switching to another melee class. Others may have tips and tricks to use to increase your dps while casting, but you will never be able to fully bypass the handicap of your latency on a caster.
Hmm. Feral. I haven't touched that since leveling during BC. It might be worth a try, without raiding much for a bit I'll have time to collect a starter set of gear.

I suppose I could level my Paladin, but we've got two plate DPS already and a plate tank. And one of the DPS is a paladin. Similar gearing issues if I go feral and get enough DPS to get my raid spot back, but at least I'd be the only feral, so there'd be less duplication of capabilities. On the other hand, I'd lave less to learn switching back to the Paladin.
Game play itself takes very little bandwidth (relative to streaming video, anyway). Have you considered using an alternative solely for playing - doing updates etc via the high bandwidth, high latency connection?

I often play while on a moving train via an EVDO card, and while the latency isn't great, it's not bad when I have a strong signal.

<S>
Adding a second internet connection is also out of budget at the moment, unfortunately. Though that might change in the nearish future, a super cheap, low cap 3G connection might be doable soonish.
I think Feral might work out, assuming our raid team can work in another melee.

Blue crafted PvP gear, with boomkin trinkets, rings, neck, and cloak, and me having no idea what I'm doing, 30k DPS on the raiders dummy.

Oh. No hit rating.

If this is what I can do with gear in this state, when I get things enchanted, reforged, gemmed and start having a clue how to play feral, I might actually put out decent numbers again.
i don't want to be the bearer of bad news. But most fights are anti melee. And latency will kill.
As a feral that once had bad latency. My dps was somewhat bad... and i had low reaction time. it really sucked. i would get hit a ton by "don't stand in it" pools/areas. Once i fixed my latency ... new computer and new line.... my dps sky rocketed and i didn't die as much on fights i had previously been doing. It might be better than boomkin with latency. But i wouldn't expect to fix your issues.
i don't want to be the bearer of bad news. But most fights are anti melee. And latency will kill.
As a feral that once had bad latency. My dps was somewhat bad... and i had low reaction time. it really sucked. i would get hit a ton by "don't stand in it" pools/areas. Once i fixed my latency ... new computer and new line.... my dps sky rocketed and i didn't die as much on fights i had previously been doing. It might be better than boomkin with latency. But i wouldn't expect to fix your issues.

Anti-Melee? Stone Guard...uhh...Stone Guard...that's about it. It sucks equally for melee and ranged (all fights).

High Latency play is simply not viable. There's severe issues with reaction time and spellqueuing. With those issues comes risk of mechanic failure. Unless you play a full second ahead (1000ms) there's no reason to bring you, unfortunately. AddOns will not affect your latency, unless the addons are talking to each other.
See, the thing is, I keep seeing people posting about how high latency kills caster DPS. A few people have suggested playing Feral, (which has a much higher skill cap than Balance.) When the reality of the situation is that if you have !@#$ latency, you have %^-* DPS whether you play ranged or melee.

I don't know what kind of backwards eskamo tundra you gotta live in to not have cable or DSL, but your problem doesn't lie in the class you play or the way you play it, and therefor will not be fixed by playing a different class/spec or changing the way you play.
All that happens when melee has high latency is "Target is out of range." and DoTs constantly falling off.
It's not just dps that suffers but boomkin is probably the worst range when it comes to disruptions in rotation. There are raid mechanics that are very difficult to deal with when you have an extra 500+ ms delay. These could lead to your death or other raid members. While a lot of fights are becoming more forgiving with this many casual guilds will reject you if you can not hold a decent standard of dps. They have expectations and probably feel that you are holding them back. Things are more difficult to avoid or kill quickly (depending on the fight).

I started 6 months after release and I've played on dial-up and satalite in the past. It wasn't until cata that I got charter cable and it wasn't until then that I began raiding. In all honestly, if you want to raid then you should probably find a casual 25-man guild and consider switching to melee. A range with a simple rotation such as a mage can work okay and classes that get a lot of damage from thier pet like demo warlocks and BM hunters can make dps easier to maintain. I doubt you were looking to be told to reroll but boomkin isn't an easy spec to play and excess lag is going to make it frustrating. In a casual 25-man you can worry less about your contribution to the raid and competing with players that are using cable.
We haven't been wiping to me dying to stupid stuff... well the first week we were, but I adjusted pretty quickly and my stupid mechanic fail deaths are on par with the rest of the raid. Things like moving slightly before the countdown runs out on BigWigs keeps me ok here(this is where I was going with maybe addons- they wouldn't reduce my latency, but various timers might make it a little easier to work around). It entirely came down to DPS to the tune of an extra two weeks on Elegon because my DPS was so bad. Replacing me got a kill almost immediately(it took one wipe to get the replacement up to speed).

Not expecting miracles, or fully meeting the potential of the spec, but just enough that I'm not holding us back that badly. Feral does look likely to do better than boomkin. The rotation is harder, yes, but so far it does seem to be far less latency sensitive as several have suggested. At any rate it doesn't look much harder than Arms was through most of Cataclysm, and I was reasonably decent at that(I'd consider switching back to the warrior, but then I'd have to faction change her and that's money I can't spare at the moment).

Interesting thought on a hunter. I do have one sitting at 70. Might be worth leveling her up.

25s aren't much of an option, my good computer needs a new video card(referring you back to the money issues), and my MacBook really doesn't like 25 mans, I run into some FPS problems.
Quartz cast bar is something you should have if you don't already. it comes with a latency bar, so you know when you should queue your next spell (as soon as the indicator hits the red zone). Otherwise, dunno. That just really sucks.
The IceHUD cast bar does that. It helps tremendously. I wouldn't even pull tank level DPS as boomkin without that feature.

That said, while IceHUD helps, does Quartz do anything past that to help, or even do that more accurately or whatever? Maybe a GCD monitor with a latency meter(IceHUD does not do this. It would help though.)
That said, while IceHUD helps, does Quartz do anything past that to help, or even do that more accurately or whatever? Maybe a GCD monitor with a latency meter(IceHUD does not do this. It would help though.)

I don't know whether it's more accurate or not. I'd imagine they'd be equally accurate, as it's not that hard to detect your latency and then display it graphically. Quartz does have a GCD monitor, but I've never used it. It might be worth just DLing and playing around with it to see if it works better for you.

Um, do you have balance power tracker? Having the predictive energy can also help.
BPT has been on my "first to update" list for a long time. It does help, but not as much as the cast bar(under better latency conditions, though, BPT helps me a lot more)

It's probably going to be feral, then. If my warrior was Horde I might level her up, but otherwise, feral is really starting to look like my best shot.