Balance druid- garbage dps

Druid
Why is balance druid so bad dpswise? Am I missing something? We are pulling so much less. I have pre-90s pulling more.
You must be severely undergeared and/or unskilled.
That's a bit harsh, but basically correct. At lower gear levels, balance puts out pathetic numbers. The spec is very gear dependant. It's also not terribly easy to play, with movement being very punishing. Once you get past those two problems balance is pretty decent.
It will be okay! When gearing up our dps is not great, however now ( and my gear still needs a lot of improvement) I am in the top 7 for LFR and 1st or 2nd in heroics. I'm not an expert but make sure you are reforged(I like askmrrobot), enchanted, and using your cool downs whenever available. Keeping dots up on as many targets as possible. Our rotation isn't very forgiving so that screws me up sometimes. The same thing happened last expansion, we are VERY gear and rotation dependent as poster above stated. It will get better :)
It IS apparently the lowest of the two DPS specs according to Simcraft. It's lowest by quite a lot too. With Feral coming in at just under 100k theoretical DPS, and Balance coming in at 88k theoretical.

The spec just seems to be lackluster this tier, but changes always happen. If you love the spec, stay with it. Gear will make it better, as well as personal skill. I was Balance at the beginning of the expansion, but changed to Feral not long after hitting 90 since my guild didn't have a Feral, and I had previous heroic raiding experience with Feral.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is: If you enjoy the spec, gear it up and get good at it, and you'll do just fine. Don't change specs just because you think it sucks. No spec is so terrible that it's not viable at the moment.
If its fine then where are all the moonkins? I don't see any around. Its a shame when only a select few can be good at moonkin.
You still have a Necromantic Focus on ... yeah, that's really gonna push those numbers. lol
Get some gear and then find a reason to complain. If you still cannot push the numbers with gear, then you are unskilled.
11/26/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Raxion
It IS apparently the lowest of the two DPS specs according to Simcraft. It's lowest by quite a lot too. With Feral coming in at just under 100k theoretical DPS, and Balance coming in at 88k theoretical.

The problem with SimCraft is that humans are producing the script that the computer runs, and the script itself is not ideal. It's very hard to have faith in the numbers that it produces when it pops cooldowns at the wrong times, does not refresh doubly-buffed DoTs before the buffs wear off, and the like.

You always have people talking about real-world performance being more important than sims, and nowhere is that more true than here.

EDIT:

Also, SimCraft doesn't do multi-dotting, and there are quite a few fights in this tier where you can multi-dot.
So, not a boomkin here. I goof around with my offspec from time to time though. I'm a bit confused on the crit vs haste. Every guide I've read says push haste over crit, but I've noticed a lot of boomies who say they are doing well are pushing crit over haste.

For those of you raiders (not counting LFR) that are constantly in the top 50% of your raid's dps; are you pushing crit over haste or haste over crit?
11/27/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Gilgalen
For those of you raiders (not counting LFR) that are constantly in the top 50% of your raid's dps; are you pushing crit over haste or haste over crit?
Crit over haste. Haste looked attractive in sims because they were only considering patchwerk. However we have not had a single patchwerk fight and crit is just much better in multi-DoT, movement heavy, and burst scenarios.

Also, don't look at my gear, been to lazy to gem/enchant my newest pieces and as such my stats are all messed up.
So, not a boomkin here. I goof around with my offspec from time to time though. I'm a bit confused on the crit vs haste. Every guide I've read says push haste over crit, but I've noticed a lot of boomies who say they are doing well are pushing crit over haste.

There are far better boomkins than I who could comment on the subject but at this point there is two possible ways to go with Boomkin stats. Reforging towards haste for the 5274 haste breakpoint (without the 4pc), or just going all towards crit. Right now it appears until you can easily get the breakpoint with a high gear level, going all crit brings in the most damage. In a completely single-target, patchwerk fight, I BELIEVE that haste pulls ahead of crit (Don't quote me on that). When you start to throw in other factors, and especially fights where you can multi-dot, crit blazes ahead of haste.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.
I am wondering what to do for lvl 80 gear... Should I get crafted or run raids and dungeons til 85?
Crit and haste are different playstyles.

Crit is fishing for Starsurge procs and your output will be highly dependent on getting and using the Starsurge proc quickly.

Haste increases your DoT damage by making ticks faster. It also makes your nukes faster allowing you to race to Eclipse.

What playstyle is better really depends on the player. Crit works great if you can get your rating high enough, keep DoTs active and cast Spellsurge fast. Haste works great too, if you can keep your DoTs up and are always casting a nuke.

Crit will probably pull ahead later in the xpac when there's a lot more crit. Right now haste vs. crit is debatable.
Crit will probably pull ahead later in the xpac when there's a lot more crit. Right now haste vs. crit is debatable.

There is no debate, this tier has multiple targets in EVERY single encounter. Having 30% raid-buffed Crit gives your DOTs an effective 18% chance on tick to proc Starsurge (30% * 30% * 2 = 0.09 * 2 = 0.18). According to most sims, Haste was very slightly ahead of Crit on single-target Patchwerk. It pulls ahead by a considerable margin in T14. When we get there, T15 may have different standards.
11/27/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Neezy
If its fine then where are all the moonkins? I don't see any around. Its a shame when only a select few can be good at moonkin.

Probably because they are not where they were at the end of Cata and look on forums and see "moonkins suck" "Balance horrible dps" etc... So they get discouraged and go feral or whatever. I however love balance and don't need to top charts, if I play my spec with skill and knowledge I will do fine, as I currently am.

Also I have played with Glyph of Stars and got yelled at in a raid for not being in the proper form(after he looked at the buffs he felt stupid), so people also may not be seeing Moonkin form and assuming there aren't any Moonkins.
I agree with OP.
I have tried Icy- Veins, and I use askrobot, both different builds. I am quite versed on druid specs.
I hit Item level 500 and still ( as an example) have low dps issues on council , to the point of being replaced if I can't up dps from 73K. Only way to do that is to multi dot. Sad is that 73K on the correct targets is much better then 90 K on wrong ones , but try telling the peeps in the pug that.
Point here is at Item level 500 Single Target DPS is unacceptable for boomkins.
A guild I had been in a couple months ago had a another boomkin in it I could not compete with, I was at 488 Him at 413. H e was in top 3 in those 25 mans, went to check on him, and they had got rid of him, as even with those gears, moving into H modes I am sure he was not going to be able to keep up.
I agree with OP.

Just because you agree with him doesn't mean he's right, I'm afraid. If you could give us logs or something we could look over them and we'd be happy to help you out.

Also, you're using SotF. Don't do that.
I agree with OP.
I have tried Icy- Veins, and I use askrobot, both different builds. I am quite versed on druid specs.
I hit Item level 500 and still ( as an example) have low dps issues on council , to the point of being replaced if I can't up dps from 73K. Only way to do that is to multi dot. Sad is that 73K on the correct targets is much better then 90 K on wrong ones , but try telling the peeps in the pug that.
Point here is at Item level 500 Single Target DPS is unacceptable for boomkins.
A guild I had been in a couple months ago had a another boomkin in it I could not compete with, I was at 488 Him at 413. H e was in top 3 in those 25 mans, went to check on him, and they had got rid of him, as even with those gears, moving into H modes I am sure he was not going to be able to keep up.
Not meaning to sound too rude here, but if you can't even look at post dates then I doubt that you can execute moonkin dps to it's fullest extent.
lol. Holy Necro. Welcome to the future, moonkin is still doing well, stack crit and enjoy slamming against the GCD cap now. Good times.