Are Mages fun right now?

Mage
I have an 85 Mage I'm thinking of leveling... and damage logs make Fire Mages seem like the only spec worth rolling as a DPS... and of course Frost Mages are the kings of PvP, no other class or spec compares currently... they're the best class in the game for raw power, by far...

But... I'm not a FOTM guy. I need to have fun to play a class.

And... to be honest... those level 90 talents look terribly annoying... especially Invocation, which seems to be the top pve damage output talent. Fully evocating every 40 seconds regardless of spec just seems terribly clunky and awkward and a boring mechanic.

Are people enjoying playing right now? From a fun gameplay POV, not a "I'm top of the meter!" POV.
play what you want.....

mages are typically egomaniacs hell bent on always being on top of the meters
No they are not. The level 90 talents are as bad as they look.

If you want to play a mage for the dps, understand there is a Faustian bargain involved. You can bring on the heat and top charts. But you will hate yourself doing it.

Go warlock. That's what I did. Just as good as a mage dps wise, better designed class, and more variety in play style than mage. You can even play it as a mage if you want: Destro is a better designed nuking tree than any mage tree.

This class is toast until the next expansion. Not before then are they going to seriously consider dumping these fail level 90 talents.

Warlocks are much easier to level, btw. Demo steamrolls through anything. I thought frost was good until I tried the new demo. Destruction for single target is almost as good as demo, but for packs demo just curbstomps things amazingly fast. It doesn't have the same level of control as frost...doesn't need it.
no
Frost mage is soooo boring in pvp. It really is just getting frost bomb up, depp freeze and spam ice lance, breain freeze and any other instants.

That being said fire is a little better playstyle wise, it sure beats the hell out of frost.
11/29/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Lolità
If you are feeling that it shields you for less then it is good. That's the whole point. It's a nerf.

Thread, meet captain obvious.
It's fun for the 40 seconds inbetween evocates
Ya.
11/30/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Schmerlin

This is exactly how I feel about it.

I quit around the time Firelands came out. When I came back during MoP, I ended up making this Mage my main. I had a ridiculous amount of fun from 80-89 as fire/frost, and then I hit 90 and had to pick one of those stupid talents. I tried all three of them and eventually just gave in and got used to Invocation because I knew it was really my only option.

Then the guild I was in took me to some hardmodes, and I have no idea how people do it. I hate all three of my options. I feel like RoP encourages people to play badly, because a big majority of players (at least the other Mages I've seen in LFR) will stand in it no matter what to get that extra damage, completely ignoring important mechanics around them. As for Invocation, I can tolerate it during dungeons, but on something like heroic Spirit Kings? I very rarely had time to keep it up as frost, let alone as fire where the channeling time was like 5 and a half seconds. There's just too much movement for either of those to be viable, and I feel like settling for IW is lackluster.

Mages are incredibly fun, but the level 90 talents really ruin it, for me at least. I'm actually relieved I'm no longer in a raiding guild right now, because it gives me a chance to level something else to 90. That way, I can switch to a class whose level 90 talent adds something fun, as opposed to taking it away.
They are fun up til lvl 89, level 90 talents are bland and the opposite of fun.
But seriously. Everybody needs to look into warlocks.

They are...glorious.
Most mages on the forums will and are saying no by the looks of it. But I am currently loving my mage.
11/30/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Schmerlin

Then don't take that talent. I hate the evocate one, and do just fine raiding casually with incanter's absorption. It's fun to use, actually. And I've been playing a fire mage since vanilla, and it's as fun as ever.
But seriously. Everybody needs to look into warlocks.

They are...glorious.

Yeah I hear there is a whole forum for people to talk about and encourage others to play them.
nothing is fun right now
Personally, I don't mind the Evocation. It reminds me not to tunnel and helps me stay aware of everything that's going on. It also really helps out the healers when timed to finish just after receiving raid damage.
11/30/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Koviko
Personally, I don't mind the Evocation. It reminds me not to tunnel and helps me stay aware of everything that's going on. It also really helps out the healers when timed to finish just after receiving raid damage.

Your last point is the ONLY thing I like about it.

As for the rest, I don't share your opinion. I can focus more when I'm not sitting there thinking about how it's been 15 seconds since my Invocation buff fell off and I don't know when I'll get a solid four and a half seconds to actually stop and Evocate. To me, it feels clunky to have to stop and channel for 4-6 seconds, whereas with other classes, I can get into a groove with my rotation and be able to focus on fight mechanics instead.
Mages are so unfun right now cause of level 90 talents but Blizz will give us nothing...
I rerolled priest from mage, and have not looked back. Night and day difference in the fun department.
I was tolerating invocation, but it really is starting to get to me. I'm very glad I'm not raiding this expac, if I was forced to deal with this all week during super serious raiding time I would be pissed.