Gem Prices

Professions
I'm just curious what gem prices are like on other realms. Curious if it's just my realm that the prices are being stupidly butchered on. For example.

Brilliant Primordial rubies are down between 35 gold and 20 gold
Delicate primordials are 30ish gold
Bold's are 15 gold.

These gems were such money makers last expansion. Now they're almost not even worth cutting. Is it like this on other realms too? I'm pretty much only making good money off of primals right now. As far as my gems go.
With double the secondary stats on gems, reds took a dive in favor of oranges/purples/greens.

Which is vaguely annoying, since those are also the ones you transmute for metas. >_<
I am guessing that those are "trash" gems from research. If you are end to speculating, you might go ahead and buy up everything under 20g to sit on over the course of the expansion. It is possible that the value of primary cuts will go up as individuals meet certain haste and crit thresholds where the secondary stats will start to lose their value.
12/03/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Jozie
I am guessing that those are "trash" gems from research. If you are end to speculating, you might go ahead and buy up everything under 20g to sit on over the course of the expansion. It is possible that the value of primary cuts will go up as individuals meet certain haste and crit thresholds where the secondary stats will start to lose their value.

That's a possibility. It's even more sad that I've been trying to buy things out to reset the price. I'll reset it to like 120 gold per. then 5 minutes later I'm undercut straight down to 50 gold a piece. People need to learn that *%#*#%!%%@ prices isn't making them money. Even if they gather everything they make instead of doing the ah shuffle. If mat cost is still higher than what you're selling goods for then they aren't making money.

Also the whole "I'm not out to screw people over" deal is lame as heck.
I make pretty nice gold focusing more on orange/purple gems, that seems to be what everyone is gemming these days. I've sold countless 200g+ gems in the str/crit, agi/pvp power, int/haste type of gems.

Reds are in the toilet most of the time and I've sat on the same stack of 20 bold reds trying to sell them for like a month. They trickle out at less then 1 a day on average. But I sell lots of orange and purple. Learn all those cuts. MOST OF THEM ARE CRAP. You will spend 3 gems to learn a cut and it might be absolute junk. Cost of doing business. You have to learn all the crap to learn all the good unless you get very lucky, learn all the good ones first then stop learning more.

STOP trying to reset prices on slow moving crap gems. I made the same mistake. It is exactly that, a mistake. Your gems wont sell at 120 (more then say, 1-2 a day, if you are lucky) and they will also sell at 50 at the same rate. Selling them cheap wont increase speed. There are countless people with stacks of reds trying to sell, and supply is so much bigger then demand so trying to reset prices just stop, you are losing money and getting mad at other people isn't going to help, it is you (and me, when I tried) who couldn't read the market properly. Learn from your mistakes.

Now if a HOT selling gem tanks, go ahead and reset, like agility/pvp power or int/resil or something like that. I have sold them as high as 350g when I reset the price (not from buyouts though just none on the AH).
I make pretty nice gold focusing more on orange/purple gems, that seems to be what everyone is gemming these days. I've sold countless 200g+ gems in the str/crit, agi/pvp power, int/haste type of gems.

Reds are in the toilet most of the time and I've sat on the same stack of 20 bold reds trying to sell them for like a month. They trickle out at less then 1 a day on average. But I sell lots of orange and purple. Learn all those cuts. MOST OF THEM ARE CRAP. You will spend 3 gems to learn a cut and it might be absolute junk. Cost of doing business. You have to learn all the crap to learn all the good unless you get very lucky, learn all the good ones first then stop learning more.

STOP trying to reset prices on slow moving crap gems. I made the same mistake. It is exactly that, a mistake. Your gems wont sell at 120 (more then say, 1-2 a day, if you are lucky) and they will also sell at 50 at the same rate. Selling them cheap wont increase speed. There are countless people with stacks of reds trying to sell, and supply is so much bigger then demand so trying to reset prices just stop, you are losing money and getting mad at other people isn't going to help, it is you (and me, when I tried) who couldn't read the market properly. Learn from your mistakes.

Now if a HOT selling gem tanks, go ahead and reset, like agility/pvp power or int/resil or something like that. I have sold them as high as 350g when I reset the price (not from buyouts though just none on the AH).

To be honest I'm not sure where you're getting anger at in any of my posts to say that I'm "getting mad" at people. I've made it clear that I'm merely curious. Also I never said I'm still trying to reset prices. I said that I "was" trying to reset prices. Again, not once did I say I was mad at anybody. You should stop reading things that aren't there. Or quit assuming things. Whichever is your problem.
It's funny you bring up gem prices because I've actually noticed the opposite effect on my server. Primordial Rubies used to cost about 20-30g, but just yesterday they were all listed (over 200+) for over 80g. Same thing with Sun's Radiance which is notoriously cheap on my server.
12/03/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Acaudus
It's funny you bring up gem prices because I've actually noticed the opposite effect on my server. Primordial Rubies used to cost about 20-30g, but just yesterday they were all listed (over 200+) for over 80g. Same thing with Sun's Radiance which is notoriously cheap on my server.

Probably JCs trying to reset gem prices now that ore prices are increasing (less supply).
I just stay away from cut gems. There are a couple of folks on my server who have that market on lock, and I am just not interested in battling my way into that group. Selling them my raw gems has proven to be a much less stressful arrangement.
Buy low, sell high. I'm sitting on 300+ reds, which I only sell when they are double the price (or more) I paid for them. I got time :)
I've found red cuts still sell well for some reason, probably as someone mentioned that secondary stats lose importance when certain milestones are hit. However, purple/orange/green cuts are where its at. Don't forget the greens, there are more lucrative cuts there than purple I have found, as many of them are the gem of choice for any blue gem slot.

However, I don't waste rare gems, I use all those for meta xmutes. I just cut uncommons to proc perfects. The rare gems are just too valuable at the moment.