Story Brainstorm Session: Night Elves' "Fix"

Story Forum
So... the real question is do you think Malfurion will ever suffer from this decision and attitude, or will everyone else be painted as evil and foolish?

He suffers all the time. Him and Tyrande fight like a dysfunctional family. Not all of his people trust him. Even in the starting area, there's a few Night Elves who talk about his return being suspicious.

And this theme started in vanilla, it just wasn't so prevalent. He allowed Tauren into the Cenarion Circle, and if I recall correctly Staghelm opposed it.

I think Malfurion's real character flaw here isn't so much that he wants to impose his beliefs on people. It's that he does it but doesn't want to explain it in detail. He has a good heart, but he also has a messiah complex---so how could he actually obtain balance?

The answer is I don't think he should be able to as a character. Except, Blizzard doesn't view him the same way we do. They just didn't think him through when they created him as the fans did--and you can't blame them on that part.

Night Elf fans tend to be a bit vocal.

Well, yeah.. we are that.

We're talking about a game here where they put the Argent Tournament in Icecrown, to host a tourney RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCOURGE STRONGHOLD, because it wouldn't technically work very well underneath resource-hog Dalaran. How do you think Teldrassil would have faired if they put it on Kalimdor? I could totally see Horde players complaining about how they auto-flew right into a damn Alliance capital though. That'd be pretty funny.

Well, maybe I just expect to much from Blizzard.

And just to guilt trip any blue that isn't reading this...

I wouldn't expect it out of them if I didn't know they were capable of it.
Everytime a Horde druid claws your back, you have Malfurion Stormrage to thank.

An alternative to a world tree is to set up a new Well of Eternity. Night Elves were immortal during Azshara's reign due to the Well. The Night Elves lost their immortality when the Well was destroyed, regained it when Illidan created a new Well, lost it again when the Dragon Aspects put a cork in that one, but got it back with Nozdormu's blessing.

If Staghelm had been a mage, he made a Well instead of asking the dragons to restore what had been lost. And actually, that might be something for the Highborne to do. They lost their immortality too and unlike the druids, they might actually have a way to restore it...if the lost vials of the Well can be found.
12/03/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Cbredbeard

And another thing...

Why is it that the Horde gets to use druids in major conflicts to extremely great effects (like healing ships) while the Alliace gets druids blowing their own ships up?

You know what? I'm not gonna pimp my Guardian of Cenarius title anymore. You hear that blizzard! The Cenarion Circle is dead to me.
12/03/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Cbredbeard

Well I wouldn't like it if that Horde Druid was a Shaman shooting lightning bolts at me either.
12/03/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Ferlion
You know what? I'm not gonna pimp my Guardian of Cenarius title anymore. You hear that blizzard! The Cenarion Circle is dead to me.

Oddly relevant. NSFW. Again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnCwzVFXxeI
12/03/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Draile

Well I wouldn't like it if that Horde Druid was a Shaman shooting lightning bolts at me either.

Idk. At least lightning strikes are quick deaths. Unless it's like Pokemon. You'd think Team Rocket would be immune by now.
Nah, Jesse just really likes electroplay, and James just stays in it for the tail.

Dat Meowth is a gold mine waiting to happen.
12/03/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Noitora
Idk. At least lightning strikes are quick deaths. Unless it's like Pokemon. You'd think Team Rocket would be immune by now.

Okay. Well, I wouldn't want that Horde Shaman empowering his weapons with the elements to claw into my back either.

Infact, that would probably be worse than a cat's claws.
12/03/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Draile

Okay. Well, I wouldn't want that Horde Shaman empowering his weapons with the elements to claw into my back either.

Infact, that would probably be worse than a cat's claws.

You sure? Animals are filthy. Infect you with all sorts of nasty disease.
12/03/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Ferlion

And another thing...

Why is it that the Horde gets to use druids in major conflicts to extremely great effects (like healing ships) while the Alliace gets druids blowing their own ships up?

I always thought Druids morality was don't use Nature for evil means and all good. Using it for productive manners +

Use it to f up environments=Bad

Not sure if I'm right.
So..how is healing dead lumber good but blowing up dead lumber good as well?

IT doesn't make sense.. It's like the wookie defense.
I mean, really, if Illidan wanted to make a triumphant return to Night Elven society, all he'd have to do was make a new Well of Eternity.
12/03/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
I mean, really, if Illidan wanted to make a triumphant return to Night Elven society, all he'd have to do was make a new Well of Eternity.

I think doing a flying crane kick to Malfurions groin after doing like, 80 bajillion ninja batwing flips in the center of Darnassus while he is talking about some hippy subject like world peace and breathing in mold to give the spores a place to live would be a pretty triumphant return, while simultaniously seducing Tyrande and Shandris into a hot adopted mother on adopted daughter on demon relationship that involves a batman suit

Is that a thing, Blizzard? Can we make that a thing?

It's going to be a thing now, k?

Yeah..
Slow down there Fer. Don't want to scare the kiddies away.

On a serious note, is it me or do you think there should be more Moon Wells in Darnassus? Heck... add that in.

On a serious note, is it me or do you think there should be more Moon Wells in Darnassus? Heck... add that in.

That implies giving something positive to the Night Elves.

It'll be given to the Cenarion Circle instead.

That implies giving something positive to the Night Elves.

It'll be given to the Cenarion Circle instead.

Hush. You know if I was able to give Night elf things I'd give it to you in a instant. Personally I want more insight on the Priestess order of Elune.

NO NOT NAARU CRAP PLEASE FOR ALL THAT IS THE ARCANE LEAVE ELUNE ALONE
I'm baiting the genie on this one... but here goes...

At this point, we're late in the game. The Horde is about to go down and the army of light is probably going to take the forefront. In many ways, that's a good thing, because then the Night Elves have the excuse of not getting much lore, but if I'm wrong and Blizzard really wants to give the Night Elves something to make them relevant and worthy of any respect, then here is my suggestion.

Get Tyrande out.

We can't take this back and there's no redemption possible for it. Tyrande is a whining idiot, and Malfurion doesn't care. Neither of them should be anywhere near the Sentinel Army right now, or in the story for us to see. As I've said many times, they are a shining example of everything that's wrong with the Night Elves right now, and they're the last people we should have out in front. Tyrande at this point needs to be like Velen, a spiritual leader of her people - not a military leader. In regard to the current apparent vision for Tyrande going forward(if it is a mistake and not a hamfisted way to make Varian look better), I found one of the better metaphors as I was listening to Zero Punctuation reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hi2xsKHKRUM#t=275s

Get Tyrande out.

How Blizzard can fulfill the promise they made before 5.1: Jerod, Shandris, and the Western Alliance

You probably could have predicted this, but there aren't a ton of alternatives. Maiev is evil and Jerod just got a promotion. It seems to me like it's an excellent time to double down on it and bring the General of the Sentinel Army into the game. The Horde's likely been diverting forces to Pandaria to fight the Alliance there, which should leave the Horde's defenses reasonably understaffed in Kalimdor. It's here that the Night Elves should make their play.

It should start with a landing at the Zoram Strand, consisting of the sentinels from Feralas under the command of General Feathermoon, and of a second fleet which arrives from the North, carrying partisan druids, the newly reformed watchers, Gilnean refugees, and the Hand of Azuremyst - the exodar's first real response in the west to the Horde's aggression. We should see these forces pull together into a more cohesive whole as they cut through thin resistance to link up with Ashenvale.

Meanwhile in the south, though, in Stonetalon. King Varian has secretly (to the Horde, within the Alliance, these actions are happening in concert) dispatched High Marshal Twinbraid and a small team under his command to rally survivors of Theramore and the Barrens campaign, who had since been hiding out in the mountains. Repurposing discarded Venture company equipment, and a few siege engines that had survived the Barrens campaign, Twinbraid aims to push north.

In Ashenvale, learning of the sudden Alliance offensive, panic stricken commanders reinforce Hellscream's watch and try to form a bulwark around Ashenvale for a siege. With forces concentrated on the offensive in the west, Twinbraid strikes from the south, leading infuriated survivors - under tattered banners recovered after the siege of Theramore - into the Horde's supply lines. As soon as the battle horns from the south sound, previously disguised entrances to long-abandoned barrow networks pour open with soldiers, who had been snuck under the Horde's lines using those tunnels.

That's when the players get to come in, performing tasks for both factions as the conflict sputters into a dragging-quagmire. The Horde are forced to reinforce the Mor'shan rampart, and their other holdings in the region, putting more forces into the region that Garrosh would have liked, and endangering the Dominance offensive with little real result against an enemy in Ashenvale that is now content to sit inside the protection of dwarven mortar support. The Alliance holds a line from Silverwind Refuge to Raynewood Retreat, and using the barrow dens to facilitate random raids on supply camps and sleeping divisions, ensuing terror for no more than fifteen minutes before they slip back underground.

The real point is that it puts pressure on the Horde as it has to support two very large operations in Ashenvale and on Pandaria at the same time. With Baine and Vol'jin mysteriously withholding support, and rationing in Durotar beginning to take its toll, discontent spreads like wildfire, sowing the seeds for a rebellion.

That's my idea anyway. If not something like that, the Night Elves need something to garner respect once again, and the rest of the west just needs attention. This idea addresses both.

Now for a few non-event things.

-Stop talking about Elune.

-Stop talking about immortality/mortality

-Stop using the stupid ball.

-Leave Illidan dead
Stop talking about Elune.

If to prevent NAARU crap I see the point as long as you stop posting that silly Meme link, fine.

Stop talking about immortality/mortality

Need to either move on or just finish it. It's like a guy who can't choose between two girls. JUST CHOOSE ONE ALREADY.

Stop using the stupid ball.

Teehee

Leave Illidan dead

Conceptually disagree.
If to prevent NAARU crap I see the point as long as you stop posting that silly Meme link, fine.

Given Blizzard's recent trend, I don't think you'll see an end to that meme for a while. But at least now you can't accuse me of not trying.