Over-used Characters.

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Prev 1 2 3 4 25 Next
11/28/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Maoseitun
...which leads to warriors with insanely long hair that somehow magically doesn't get used against them. Their character's a a soldier or member of the guard or some other organized military unit and they walk around with uber-long hair? Really?

H... Helmets?

Dude, no. First of all, never rely on your gear to save you from your incompetence. Whether in WoW PvP, your computer, your car, or real life, your itemization will never keep you safe from stupid. In the event of a bar fight, being caught unprepared, or your helm getting knocked/ taken off in combat for whatever reason (these ignoring the fact that your hair can poke out from under your helmet anyways), you do not want a potentially life threatening disadvantage. Long hair counts as a potentially life threatening disadvantage.

Speaking as a guy who has and who has friends who have gotten into fights with long hair and regretted it, excess hair on someone who fights for a living is simply not going to happen. Armed forces even have regulations on it, as Zpan said. Similar to the flawless superfighter we discussed earlier, long hair and no scars on a soldier is the sign of a bad author.
11/29/2012 12:51 AMPosted by Trenk

H... Helmets?

Dude, no. First of all, never rely on your gear to save you from your incompetence. Whether in WoW PvP, your computer, your car, or real life, your itemization will never keep you safe from stupid. In the event of a bar fight, being caught unprepared, or your helm getting knocked/ taken off in combat for whatever reason (these ignoring the fact that your hair can poke out from under your helmet anyways), you do not want a potentially life threatening disadvantage. Long hair counts as a potentially life threatening disadvantage.

Speaking as a guy who has and who has friends who have gotten into fights with long hair and regretted it, excess hair on someone who fights for a living is simply not going to happen. Armed forces even have regulations on it, as Zpan said. Similar to the flawless superfighter we discussed earlier, long hair and no scars on a soldier is the sign of a bad author.

... Coorash, it's Silver. Do you really think I'm a bad author?

Dayum, long time, no see.

In revision, since I've seen your work, no, you're not a bad author. But I maintain that it's not a good character setup; the likelihood against it is just too high and the consequences too heavy. Just 'cause you can write doesn't mean I approve of this concept x)

Dayum, long time, no see.

In revision, since I've seen your work, no, you're not a bad author. But I maintain that it's not a good character setup; the likelihood against it is just too high and the consequences too heavy. Just 'cause you can write doesn't mean I approve of this concept x)

;)

But yeah - mostly stick to short hair for characters who mix it up in melee. The only exceptions, anymore, being: my 1st paladin, my dwarves and my nelf rogue.

My two melee dwarves are pretty battered and bruised - the warrior even having a mithril eyepatch welded to his skin.

My nelf... it's an elf. I think it's a law of fantasy that they have long hair.

For my paladin - stylistic choices mostly. The no scars results, not from being a master swordsman, but from being able to read an opponent, and having contingencies for his contingencies. The long hair... well, the only thing I have to fall back on that is: it's not kept loose.
Holy priests/paladins who have a 'dark side' that's completely hypocritical to what their religions/beliefs stands for.
11/29/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Kñîght
Holy priests/paladins who have a 'dark side' that's completely hypocritical to what their religions/beliefs stands for.

Agreed! Especially when its mentioned over and over again... And its something the character is fully aware to. 'She had to keep her happy smile plastered on her face, even as her true feelings of hatred and rage churned inside her, so the others didn't know how much she longed to rip their faces off.'
Female RPers who have ridiculously long hair. Like, SERIOUSLY. Get realistic here, people. Don't go too much lower than the shoulder area, otherwise you just sound silly with ten feet of Rapunzel hair.
Blood elven lords, there's so many of them.
11/29/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Thellandria
Female RPers who have ridiculously long hair. Like, SERIOUSLY. Get realistic here, people. Don't go too much lower than the shoulder area, otherwise you just sound silly with ten feet of Rapunzel hair.

Especially when they are warriors/paladins/rogues/combat oriented! The only two females I have with long hair are my Holy Priestess - she's a young teen (14) and still a Novice and studying and as far as a non-combatant as it gets, so I let her hair fall around the hips - and my Dwarven Shaman and that goes to her waist and stays in a braid. All the others have either a short masculine hair cut (my warrior) or just past the shoulders (my Rogue and hunter)

For reference, comparing the hair lengths of my Warrior and Priestess -> http://zpansven.deviantart.com/art/WoW-Cornered-305434767

Both are reasonable for their ages and professions without being....Rapunzel.

11/29/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Alenlor

Also exist on the human side, Lords and lost royalty and just....urrrghhh.... /headdesk
Rogues who are just really good hand-to-hand fighters...

There has to be some sort of magic if we can stand behind someone and not be seen. (Over-dramatic? Yes, none of us can't stand right behind someone and not be seen. But it's a valid point...)

Being able to vanish from sight suddenly without any sort of covering? Being able to dispel IC DoT's?

/end rant

/wave ^_^
XD I know right? And all the rogues that sulk around in all black and trying to be all 'look at me being badass and uber-kewl!'
11/29/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Alenlor

Not that ridiculous a concept - the elven royalty were all masters of magic or extremely skilled swordsmen and whatnot - not to mention house guards and etc. they'd have the higher chance of surviving the assault by the Scourge than the commoners.
Warlocks/DK's who pretend to be an undead vampire thingy -__-
Elves. Not because I am hating on their RP, it's because in lore they recently had 90% of their population exterminated, yet they seem to be, least on WrA, the most popular race.
11/30/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Augustev
Elves. Not because I am hating on their RP, it's because in lore they recently had 90% of their population exterminated, yet they seem to be, least on WrA, the most popular race.

That's because we have the best stealth animation.

/nod
Let's see.

Rude Paladins: Paladins are caring, forgiving men and women of the light. Not Jerks.

Brooding Death Knights: Seriously, this isn't World of Twilight, so leave the brooding to the sparkling vampires :3!

Feral Worgen: No. You drank the potion that cured you of this. I've yet to hear a solid explanation of how a Feral Worgen can wander the streets without being shot, much less escape from Gilneas.

Assassins/Thieves that never do anything/do it in public: I doubt assassins earn much sitting around drinking in the Inn. And I doubt anyone competent enough to become an assassin would be dumb enough to walk up and stab a guy in the middle of the Trade District. Where not only are there several armed adventurers and potential witnesses, but guards. Lots, and lots of guards.

Bystanders: Uhm....there's a guy fighting for his life against a Draenei over there. No? Just going to calmly talk to your lady friend while you can clearly see that man is about to die? Okay then.

While I realize that RP can sometimes be between two people who aren't open to others interfering, it looks quite silly in reality to stand around and drink a Pinot Noire while there are two people fighting to the death less than Two yards away.
11/30/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Augustev

You can't really hate on people for playing a particular race that appeals to them. Yes I understand they are supposed to be one of the scarcest races out there, but if I want to RP a blood elf mage I'm gonna.

Rather, let's hate on the people who obviously are RPing a non blood elf as a blood elf.

What do I mean?

The half-troll/half-blood elf with blue skin and tusks that uses "mon" all the time, yet the RPer is using a blood elf avatar. If you want to play a troll so bad roll a troll, don't make up some COMPLETELY BULL story about having an elf mother and troll father or w/e. That would never happen. EVER! We know trolls are uglier than blood elves, but still, roll a troll.

Or a blood elf warrior that loves Garrosh, fighting, and killing all the time. Is on the front lines slaughtering humans, is all scarred up, wears black spiked armor, lives in Orgrimmar, calls other elves weaklings, etc. If you want to RP a bad@ss, Garrosh-loving orc then roll an orc. We know orcs are uglier than blood elves, but still, roll an orc.

Etc...
Off topic real quick.

SILVY. WHERE.HAVE.YOU *Tackles* BEEN? O_O
Off topic real quick.

SILVY. WHERE.HAVE.YOU *Tackles* BEEN? O_O

Around... but I'm putting the finishing touches on a new RP that I'm gonna be posting here in a little bit. >:D
11/30/2012 10:01 PMPosted by Silvestris
Around... but I'm putting the finishing touches on a new RP that I'm gonna be posting here in a little bit. >:D

Aaaahh, I see

I'll be looking out for it then! >:D