shadow PvP stat choices

Priest
Hey guys, so, I just discovered how fun shadow is for PvP but I am having trouble deciding between the 2 choices. I play shadow for wpvp and bgs currently. Would it be best to reformed to 10%haste> mastery> crit> haste for multi dotting/line of sight kiting, so my dots hit like a truck? Or the regular/arena stat priorities. Sorry for any typos, on my phone.
And ignore my gear. Until yesterday I was plying holy.
Thanks
It's all personal preference really, but I definitely prefer haste. Faster casts are always good, especially when you're being trained. I've tried crit and mastery and they both seemed to work just as good though.
For pvp, I think the choice is between:

haste > mastery > crit

OR

10% haste > mastery > haste > crit

I still can't make up my mind which is best though.

Next season, 25% haste should be achievable and then I think the issue will be resolved.
haste > crit > mastery =)
I personally think that for this tier its Hit to Cap>Haste to 10% then Mastery>Crit>Haste after you reach that point.

Why:

At 10% we get that extra dot tick the next step up is 28% and that isn't going to happen this tier even with upgraded gear.

*All this is from a Chardev of non-upgraded gear I'm guessing at best it might be 1% or .02 *
I forged away EVERY bit of haste I could into Hit or Crit

What you lose:

You wanna know the difference in going full Haste. We're looking @ around ~ 7/100th of a second. Yes that is .07!!! We cannot even really feel that.

Can you REALLY feel a .07 of a second. So a 1.5 second cast is 1.25 @17% and its 1.32@ 13%. How often is that REALLY going to matter.

What you gain:
4% crit
and ~100 Mastery (can't remember the % probably ~1.0 -.5%)

Is it huge no! But neither the haste loss.

I'm just waking up so my #'s could be off a little.
I've been doing the 10% haste/mastery/crit, and since I've been getting so many instant MB/MS procs, haste doesn't come into play as much IMO.
12/04/2012 07:04 AMPosted by Elliistra
I've been doing the 10% haste/mastery/crit, and since I've been getting so many instant MB/MS procs, haste doesn't come into play as much IMO.

I often have too many to spend with only 2 targets. If I have 3 or more I'm generally spamming instant MS & MB(lesser degree) and VERY often have too much to spend. The best thing is with > 2 targets I have near unlimited mana.
Thanks for the replies guys, finally getting some shadow gear to drop some of that spirit to get extra stats. Definitely prefer the mastery> crit> haste after hit and 10% haste. My dots are hitting hard with the extra ticks from mastery. Feels good being able to kite warriors while my dots/instant casts destroy them, even in my crappy half holy gear XD
Whenever I see a post like this, a piece of me dies. :(

There is a guide for new PVP Shadow Priests at the top of this forum board. It has been there for years. Let's look around before we post and if there is any confusion, ask for help in the thread or create a new one with references to the guide.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965622276

TL;DR:

6% Hit > Haste > Mastery > Crit

My guide explains why. Enjoy.
I know, I read that sir and it is great guide. However, my style is currently playing offensively in larger groups. After the initial opening, I use only instant casts cause I am constantly getting proc from multidotting. I understand that the stat priority you explained would be 10x better for 1v1 and 2v2, but sorry, I find multidotting anything over that to be more effective
12/05/2012 10:09 AMPosted by Práystation
I know, I read that sir and it is great guide. However, my style is currently playing offensively in larger groups. After the initial opening, I use only instant casts cause I am constantly getting proc from multidotting. I understand that the stat priority you explained would be 10x better for 1v1 and 2v2, but sorry, I find multidotting anything over that to be more effective

You must be trolling me. How do you get FDCL procs if you only instant cast? Or MF, non DI MBs or MD? Nor is my stat priority meant for small groups.

Haste is so we can get our casts off with less chance of being locked out. Right now, the soft cap for the extra DoT tik isn't quite obtainable by normal means with current itemization.

Mastery is to enhance extra damage which in turn enhances damn near EVERY ABILITY we have. See below,

Popular Talent Choices
Mastery over Crit? Huh?
Since the change to what our Mastery does, Mastery has taken precedence over Crit. In a summarized list, here is why:

1) Rating to Percentage conversions favor Mastery. You pay less for more.
Mastery (333.25 Rating = 1%), Critical Strike (601.36 Rating = 1%)

2) Critical Strike does 200% bonus damage and affects all damaging abilities. However as seen below, Mastery only directly affects five abilities. The hidden power of Mastery lies a bit deeper...

3) Our Mastery DIRECTLY affects SW:Pain, Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Mind Flay, and Mind Sear. But it also INDIRECTLY affects Shadowy Apparitions, Mind Blast, Mind Spike, and Shadow Orbs (which in turn affects Psychic Horror and Devouring Plague[a second time]) in a unique way.

3A) When it affects SW;P, VT, DP, MF, and MS, it does so directly by dealing damage twice. This is akin to a Critical Strike.
Here's where it gets interesting.

- When an extra SW:Pain procs from Mastery, it spawns another Shadowy Apparition (up to 3).
- When an extra SW:Pain procs from Mastery, it can activate your Tier 5 talent Divine Insight (more Mind Blast procs).
- More Mind Blast procs means more Shadow Orbs.
- More Shadow Orbs means having Psychic Horror ready more often when it is off CD.
-More Shadow Orbs means more Damage and Healing from Devouring Plague.
-When an extra VT procs from Mastery, it can activate your Tier 3 talent FDCL (more Mind Spike procs).
- More Mind Spike procs coupled with Glyph of Mind Spike means more instant Mind Blast when it is on CD.
- Finally all of these extra DoT tiks CAN critically strike.

Multi-DoTing in large groups -IS- how to do large PvP due to FDCL/DI procs. The more DoTs, the more procs. Our "burst" (for a lack of a better term) is using those procc'ed MB/MS on the hard switch target. This is where Glyph of Mind Spike comes into play in case you don't get a timed MB proc coupled with only being able to store one proc whereas MS can hold two.

DoT everything, dump procs on kill target. Also Mass Dispel constantly unless you anticipate a IceBlock or Bubble.

The shorthand version of what I do in my RBGs for example is,
1)DoT everything, enemy healers priority.
2) Mass Dispell my team so healers don't have to waste time or eat Silence/Horrors.
3) Wait for kill target, dump MB, MS, MS, SWD, SWD.
4) Also Fear, Root whenever possible.

Shadow Priests in large groups are the support and supplemental damage. I hope this makes more sense.
I know, I have read that a few times now. What I am trying to say is, haste effects on cast times is hardly even noticeable, after the extra tick at 10% haste, why not go for mastery> crit> more haste beyond the 10% extra tick?
12/05/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Práystation
I know, I have read that a few times now. What I am trying to say is, haste effects on cast times is hardly even noticeable, after the extra tick at 10% haste, why not go for mastery> crit> more haste beyond the 10% extra tick?

I'm not exactly sure this is what you meant in your previous reply.

Regardless you could do that, nothing is stopping you. The guide is a beginners guide. Once they get the gist of it, they can modify it how they see fit.

Once the 9.99% Haste for VT is met, you could use any leftover Haste and change it to Mastery. In full Malevolent you could just change out YELLOW sockets to Mastery/PvPPower until 30.01% Haste is obtainable.