Elune's Identity?

Story Forum
12/03/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Threeslotbag
Velen said Elune is a Naruu...are you doubting Velen you heretic?

Velen thinks Elune could be a Naaru, he hasn't really had an opportunity to make sure.

Personally I think there very well may be a vague relation between the two, but Elune's behavior is so inconsistent with that of the Naaru (who among other things, have always discouraged people seeing them as deities) that her actually being a Naaru would be a pretty big stretch.
Elune is one of the few true deities?

Who else are referred to as deities in Azeroth again?

Elune is an Old God.

Scratch that. Elune is the avatar of one. Like how Sara is the lucid dream of Yogg-saron. Elune is a manifestation of N'zoth.
12/03/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Draile
Velen said Elune is a Naruu...are you doubting Velen you heretic?

Well he's not exactly omni-potent.

Didn't even realize his closest aide was a traitor when he tried to flee Argus.

I have visions....of....

a being of pure Divine....more beautiful then the forests of Azeroth, the clear waters that put the Waters of the Vale to shame. Soft slick skin that is purple like that of a simple Kal'dorei. Standing in her presence...feels like you ascended unto a new form of power.

I see.....

Elune
12/03/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Valius

Well he's not exactly omni-potent.

Didn't even realize his closest aide was a traitor when he tried to flee Argus.

I have visions....of....

a being of pure Divine....more beautiful then the forests of Azeroth, the clear waters that put the Waters of the Vale to shame. Soft slick skin that is purple like that of a simple Kal'dorei. Standing in her presence...feels like you ascended unto a new form of power.

I see.....

Elune

Something weird about reading this post while glancing over at the Sha you're wearing over your face.
Just going to throw out that it says he likely has considerable evidence. Seeing similarities isn't considerable evidence.

That considerable evidence always gets left out. It's an important bit, because unless Velen just went against his normal grain, he actually has considerable evidence to support him.

Unless and until Blizzard decides to retcon their Warcraft Encyclopedia, we know for a fact that Elune is a "full deity" and a "goddess". She can't be a run-of-the-mill naaru.

Maybe she was a naaru who bathed in the Well of Eternity, or a naaru who merged with a dark troll, or some combination thereof... but I don't think she's just a naaru.
Just going to throw out that it says he likely has considerable evidence. Seeing similarities isn't considerable evidence.

That considerable evidence always gets left out. It's an important bit, because unless Velen just went against his normal grain, he actually has considerable evidence to support him.

Unless and until Blizzard decides to retcon their Warcraft Encyclopedia, we know for a fact that Elune is a "full deity" and a "goddess". She can't be a run-of-the-mill naaru.

Maybe she was a naaru who bathed in the Well of Eternity, or a naaru who merged with a dark troll, or some combination thereof... but I don't think she's just a naaru.

Sounds interesting but I'd rather Elune just be a goddess all on her own. It adds flavor to the lore.
12/03/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Valius
Sounds interesting but I'd rather Elune just be a goddess all on her own. It adds flavor to the lore.

Maybe... but that would mean Velen was just flat-out wrong (despite all his wisdom and experience and evidence and whatnot). He probably has some idea of what he's talking about, but at the same time I'd like Elune to remain unique. Making her naaru-related, but not actually a naaru, could meet both criteria.
12/03/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Egrem
She can't be a run-of-the-mill naaru.

As a rare and endangered night elf fan, I oppose this idea. Elune may have some similarities to a Naaru, but she has many differences as well.

However, I see a way that it could possibly work. However, as I know little about Naaru, this may just be crazy ramblings I thought up while bored.

Elune is worshiped by a few races and does nothing to avoid being seen as a goddess, unlike the Naaru. From what I've read, she also seems to be more powerful - Her presence alone stops all fighting, but I think Naaru have a similar but less powerful ability. Elune seems to be bound to Azeroth/Kalimdor, while the Naaru have traveled from one land to the next with the Draenei, although I think they've been doing so longer than the draenei.

So, what if Elune and the Naaru are deities of their respective planets? What if a Naaru had once been a deity of their land, worshiped by a race that was swayed by the Burning Legion and turned on them - And in result, the Naaru had to flee their world, taking on a corporeal (windchime!) but less powerful form to do so and swearing never to have people worship them again.

They could either all be from the same planet, or as a more interesting plot, be from different worlds, watching as they fall, then tearing themselves from their world to join the other Naaru and search for a land where their followers would not succumb to the Legion. This could lead up to show why Azeroth is special - we're not as easily corrupted (perhaps a sort of built-up immunity due to Old God presence?), at least not as large groups - and be another thing to set the stage for the fight against the Legion.

So, while Elune could be more powerful than a Naaru due to her still being attached to her planet, they could bring in millennia of experience with the Legion. Perhaps have the Naaru ponder why Elune's powers favor the night/moon while theirs is of the Light/sun. (Of course, moonlight is light too, just a different kind). So there'd be a similarity, but they wouldn't be making either group less unique.

So, interesting idea or crazy rambling?

This is a company that wrote and published a series of source books to detail this franchise and later hand-waved them away as non-cannon.

Let's take a moment to digest this here.

People spent money on these books.

People can still spend money on these books.

And what they are reading is lies.
12/03/2012 03:47 PMPosted by Egrem

Maybe... but that would mean Velen was just flat-out wrong (despite all his wisdom and experience and evidence and whatnot). He probably has some idea of what he's talking about, but at the same time I'd like Elune to remain unique. Making her naaru-related, but not actually a naaru, could meet both criteria.

I'd rather Velen be wrong than the priestess who has been worshipping her for the last 10,000 years to be.

But come on.. Who really expects that to happen?

About $230 bucks worth, not counting tax..

Which is funny, because they were advertised as canon on the original site.. If I had my recipts, I'd bring a lawsuit against blizzard over it because I'm a petty and vindictive bastard.
D'aww, I bothered making my crazy idea into coherent english and there's no response?

12/03/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Ferlion
I'd rather Velen be wrong than the priestess who has been worshipping her for the last 10,000 years to be.

Agreed, but Velen doesn't have to be completely wrong. There are a few similarities between Elune and any other large glowy telepathic being. I just think Elune should keep her individuality whether she's seen as a Naaru-like being or not.
Troll Ancestors of Night Elves -

Night Elves = Israelites

Elune = God or (Goddess in this case)

Naaru = Angels (Angels can fall too)

If they wanted to go that route.

How many gods has Velen ever met? None. He is basing -everything- off of the Naaru, hence everything will be compared to the Naaru, even when they aren't Naaru.

I am hoping that Blizzard doesn't make Elune a Naaru, related to the Naaru or have anything to do with the Naaru. She needs to be her own goddess, created on Azeroth with her chosen people. Blizzard needs to stop homogenizing every damned thing in the game.
12/03/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Kynrind

How many gods has Velen ever met? None. He is basing -everything- off of the Naaru, hence everything will be compared to the Naaru, even when they aren't Naaru.

I am hoping that Blizzard doesn't make Elune a Naaru, related to the Naaru or have anything to do with the Naaru. She needs to be her own goddess, created on Azeroth with her chosen people. Blizzard needs to stop homogenizing every damned thing in the game.

I'm agreeing with you.

Is that a bad thing?
Theory:
Elune is actually one of the Old Gods who has manipulated the Night Elves into servitude. However, she...it has come to like ruling over them without interference from her...its counterpart Old Gods. So it's content to let the rest of them rot in their prisons.

Easy to miss, since she has been portrayed as a total and complete hottie (http://www.wowpedia.org/images/a/a1/Elune.PNG) but then again, Yogg-Saron appeared as that one Vry'kul chick.

Why would it do that though? Simple. The MOON part of the title "Moon Goddess" sounds alot better if it's referring to a celestial object in the sky instead of...something else.

I mean, let's face it. Not much to be proud of if you're known as the "Old God of Butts".
I'd be okay with Elune being titanic in origin, rather than her being a Naaru.
What is it with people wanting Elune to be an old god (there aren't ANY good old gods, they are all bats@#$ insane! Elune isn't insane) or Titan related (Blizzard has firmly said that the Titans are not god and that Elune -is- a true god)? Why can't she be a god that was created by Azeroth like the troll gods are?

About $230 bucks worth, not counting tax..

Which is funny, because they were advertised as canon on the original site.. If I had my recipts, I'd bring a lawsuit against blizzard over it because I'm a petty and vindictive bastard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

Pot and the kettle... I know... I'm causing them just as much harm by choosing to spend my discretionary income on their competitors... and liquor, instead of purchasing value added services, books, or any games coming from ATVI (nope, don't care which side).
12/03/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Kynrind
Titan related (Blizzard has firmly said that the Titans are not god and that Elune -is- a true god)?

The term God is relative. By all accounts, Titans are pretty godlike.
Quoting Genya from SoL here because this idea is AMAZING

EXTRAORBITAL LUNAR UNISHIP "NIGHT'S EDGE", a mix of Titan and Naaru technology designed to watch over Azeroth and direct its species development through the several World Energy Line LimiterS