Spec question.

Hunter
Greetings all,

I'm interested in leveling my hunter, but I don't like playing Beast Mastery. Unfortunately, every hunter I've seen has been Beast Mastery.

My question is, are Surv/MM *that* far behind BM? I don't mind playing a spec that's slightly lower, but I'd rather wait until they buff Surv/MM if the two specs are significantly behind BM.

Thanks!
i still play marks abit even at 90; surv has always been trash in my mind
No, SV and MM aren't far, if at all behind BM. In fact, most of the top hunters prefer not to play BM due to bad pet mechanics. It's a good spec if you are new to the class/game, however.
12/05/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Powerspawn
No, SV and MM aren't far, if at all behind BM. In fact, most of the top hunters prefer not to play BM due to bad pet mechanics. It's a good spec if you are new to the class/game, however.

That's odd, it always felt to me like BM had more cooldowns to micromanage whereas survival was more spammy with your buttons. From what I've read OP, the two are pretty similar on single target and Surv wins in AOE (obviously).

Beast Mastery 96893 DPS
Marksmanship 96325 DPS
Survival 97404 DPS

is what Noxxic has using their recommended talents and glyphs via simcraft but YMMV as always.
NOTE: this is regarding pvp.

Marks is fine, almost as good as BM. Not quite, but I do fine as MM, better than I do as BM personally (this is almost assuredly due to the fact that i despise bm). MM requires alot more skill and setup to drop someone, but it does. Also, kiting is much more essential as MM, since you loose some utility of BM, kiting is the key to MM. Surv will always be mediocre at best for pvp, it focuses too much on aoe dmg, which is near useless in most pvp situations, and since nearly all of it's damage is dots, it is very venerable to dispels, which are rampant in pvp.
as always it depends on the gaming you want to make. For sure BM is better for leveling since your pet has more "importance" and acts as your mini tank. Making easier to do quests.
For PVE MM is ussually the best because you can d more DPS, although you have less bonuses and cooldowns.
PVP...most of the hunters I've seen are BM because with the pet you can bother rivals more effectively, for example interrupting healers casts.

peace
you can check this out
http://hunterbuilds.com/
If you want good AOE i would suggest MM, as a BM I have to cross my fingers and hope my moves proc right to get some good dps.
SV is AOE king. It's a fun spec to run and there's a lot of mobs in current content that really make use of SV. Haven't played with MM since MoP but I might try it out once I get my tier set for the 15% bump and see how it does. a Tiered hunter in HoF last night was putting out some impressive numbers that gave me alot of hope.
12/06/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Albinokitty
If you want good AOE i would suggest MM

You mean to say SV.