School me on PVP Hunter! 101 PVP questions!

Hunter
I have a hunter that I've just recently decided that I want to play my hunter lately. I used to play PVP heavily, but that was in season 8.

What are we reforging to? Mastery and...Crit?

What are we gemming? I can't remember what the ratio was on Agi Vs. PVP Power.

What's with all of the Beast Mastery hunters with the Aimed Shot glyph?

What ARE you guys glyphing? (Generally speaking. For Arenas.)

What's working for pets? Cat for pre-buff and....?

What's going ON, hunters?!

3% hit > 3% exp > Mastery > Crit > haste

12/04/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Hitenmaru

PVP power>agi, but for the most part resil>pvp power in pvp its all about surviving.

You're probably seeing hunters that are more recently specing into MM specing that glyph and are getting confused it has no use as BM as you don't have the ability aimed shot.

I'm personally going with Marked for death for increased dps, my personal choice. To not waste globals on hunters marks while dpsing throughout a match. My second glyph choice is glyph of solace which is pretty mandatory in my opinion so a random dot doesn’t "magically" appear on the target that you're going for a trap on. My third and most favorite glyph is Glyph of explosive trap. I'm constantly using this trap to know opposing teams out of position to prep for trap, or to knock my already trapped targets further away or off of Bi-level maps to put them even more out of position. I marked for death for glyph of disengage on dalarn sewers map to be able to disengage from the bottom level of the map up to the top

I base this off of what comp I'm currently running with and what buffs we have/don't have.
For example, when I play KFC (Hunter/warrior/x) when I'm BM I run with 1-2 shale spiders (stat % buff aka kings) a cat or spirit wolf (3000 mastery) a regular wolf or devilsaur (5% crit) a silkworm (4% increased phys dmg to target) and the a silithid (increased stamina) You get all these buffs back whenever you pop your stampede. And like i stated previously I swap between these pets depending on what healer or off dps I'm running with and which buffs they don’t provide!
12/04/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Trìangle

I figured as much. Thank you. :)

PVP power>agi, but for the most part resil>pvp power in pvp its all about surviving.

figured that was the case as well. Thank you. :)

You're probably seeing hunters that are more recently specing into MM specing that glyph and are getting confused it has no use as BM as you don't have the ability aimed shot.

That was the only logical reason I thought that might be.

Trìangle
90 Orc Hunter
Do you even lift BRO

I'm personally going with Marked for death

I was thinking along the same lines are you, and will definitely keep my Explosive trap glyphed, but I find myself headed more towards defensive. (Deterrence>Marked for Death.) Any real problem there? I'm expecting to get trained a lot since I'm a leather wearer.
12/04/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Hitenmaru
I was thinking along the same lines are you, and will definitely keep my Explosive trap glyphed, but I find myself headed more towards defensive. (Deterrence>Marked for Death.) Any real problem there? I'm expecting to get trained a lot since I'm a leather wearer.

It's 100% your choice in playstyle but imho Glyph of Deterrence just isnt worth it becuase it only really helps you against dot classes. It can have its uses obviously, but imo if you're looking for a defense playstyle you're better off going with Glyph of Animal Bond or Glyph of Disengage
Marked for Death is absolutely amazing. Sure, you can apply it manually, but in PVP that won't happen 90 percent of the time. It wastes gcds, slows down target switches, and you will have to reapply it if it gets dispelled.

Glyph of solace is even more amazing, now that it combines BOTH freezing trap and scatter shot.

I used to pick glyph of explosive trap too (freezing trap + explosive trap = win), but now that I switched to SV in PVP I can't use it because of the shared cooldown with Black Arrow. There are a lot of other good options, like the glyph of Mirrored Blades, of Freezing Trap, of Disengage, of Tranquilizing Shot, ...

Good luck!
Posted by Trìangle

That was the only logical reason I thought that might be.

Oh and I think that's because the old 5.0 Glyph of Scattering got turned into the new 5.1 Glyph of Aimed Shot.
I have a hunter that I've just recently decided that I want to play my hunter lately. I used to play PVP heavily, but that was in season 8.

I think I'm reforging and gemming right, for the most part, so you can just armory me - someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Regarding pets, I recommend grabbing the pets whose buffs last for 2 minutes so you can prebuff yourself before pulling out your primary pet.

As far as glyphs go, I change my glyphs almost every rbg and arena match; but I tend to like the one for 10% additional heals on me and my pet and the one that puts hunters mark on my target.
Gems:
Red - Assassins
Blue - Stormy
Yellow - Vivid (or straight resilience if you find yourself the focus target often)

Glyphs:
Master's Call
Solace
Explosive Trap

A few variations:
Disengage for Dal sewers to jump from the lower level.
Mend Pet for Mage comps can be very useful.
Spirit Bond again if you feel you're being focused too hard.

I generally swap out explosive trap for one of the above if it's not a Z axis map.
12/04/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Trìangle

It's 100% your choice in playstyle but imho Glyph of Deterrence just isnt worth it becuase it only really helps you against dot classes. It can have its uses obviously, but imo if you're looking for a defense playstyle you're better off going with Glyph of Animal Bond or Glyph of Disengage

I don't understand why Deterrence glyph is only useful again dot classes.
Hey guys, rather than making a thread, I was hoping to have a question answered in here. I currently have t1 weap and probably won't be able to get t2 for quite a while. Should I upgrade my current weap or save the conq points for more gear?
Yes upgrade your weapon first before any other gear purchases.

As marks I can't live without glyphs o disengage and the unpopular aimed shot glyph.

I can see that other marks hunters prefer to just use their instant cast shots, but aimed shot hits harder than all of them. Setting up burst kills is muh easier with my glyph setup. Aimed shot on targets over 80% is guaranteed crit and typically over 90k, followed by a chimera shot, steady a few times tranq shot a bit, and vary rotation based on situation.

I love Aimed shot glyph as it brings a versatility that marks didn't have before and in my opinion there aren't enough hunters that use it.
AS Glyph is pointless in of itself, made even worse by taking the place of something useful
Next questions.

Healers. How are we killing them? (I do two's primarily.)

Even with all of my bursting and stuns I can't seem to take down healers.
12/08/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Tirade

I don't understand why Deterrence glyph is only useful again dot classes.

Deterrence gives you immunity to incoming attacks for however many seconds, and it reduces damage taken from dots while active. the glyph further reduces damage taken from dots while active.
Hunter/Resto Druid.

Both in at least Dreadful +3 Malev.

I'm talented; Narrow Escape, Silencing Shot, Aspect of the Iron Hawk, Thrill of the Hunt, Lynx Rush, Glaive Toss.

Glyphed as Explosive Trap, Marked for Death, Solace or Deterrence.

Ask all questions and I will provide all answers.