Well? Fire Mages.

Mage
12/05/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Librily
Trash DPS isn't DPS

Exactly, which makes me think that frost might be worse than either arcane or fire because I think those specs can produce more damage during boss fights.

I can only report MV LFR from last night but I did most of the fights as Frost and easily managed top 3 on all but Qin-xi (including Elegon even after a fumble caused me to blink onto the patform just as it derezzed). Was around 5th on Qin-Xi for 2 wipes (mostly due to derpy tanking and DPS forgetting the adds existed) and decided to switch to Fire for the extra DOTs and cleave on the adds and ended up 2nd on the list, just behind a warrior and just barely ahead of a boomkin. It did help that the adds died quicker and I did less unsolicited mage tanking. I can say that Fire felt much more streaky than usual and I had longer periods without crits, but I had several big multi-FB! streaks that helped my numbers (thanks RNG).

2 other mages in the group were similarly geared and running Arcane and Fire, so having all 3 specs in the raid at once made for a convenient snapshot, if anecdotal. Fire was definitely last in most of the fights by a significant margin (generally ranked around 9th or 10th). The Arcane mage was a bit better, in the 5th-6th slot.

Again, this is completely anecdotal data from Recount and I didn't do any real digging into the numbers so I don't know if there was something else contributing to the DPS disparity. I've been running both Fire and Frost pretty consistently since Wrath, and have used both specs about equally in Mists, so familiarity with the specs probably helped my numbers somewhat.
Went from 72k to 54k and moving targets, don't even go there. I dropped from the RAID because my dps was dead last, and didn't want to tick any more people off.
12/07/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Enochthered
Went from 72k to 54k and moving targets, don't even go there. I dropped from the RAID because my dps was dead last, and didn't want to tick any more people off.

just go arcane.

arcane is not bad at all.
12/07/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Raw

just go arcane.

arcane is not bad at all.

I've lost the motivation to swap out all my gear, gems, and enchants. Sorry, but I cancelled my subscription. But I'm glad arcane is viable. At least there's that.

I've lost the motivation to swap out all my gear, gems, and enchants. Sorry, but I cancelled my subscription. But I'm glad arcane is viable. At least there's that.

Frost is also viable, I've been raiding as Frost since the changes and am competing nicely. You'd be surprised, the steep 28% crit requirement for Frost has rendered most of my fire gear actually BiS normal mode for frost, I only had to change some gems and reforge. Not really looking at sweeping changes gear wise.
I actually placed 5th in the world on heroic 10 man imperial as Fire with 95k (at the time of the kill - wowheros)

Did the same fight this week and had 75K.

A drop of 21% dps.
Two weeks ago I was usually #1 or #2 in my raid. Last week I was last in almost every fight as fire....

Frost is also viable, I've been raiding as Frost since the changes and am competing nicely. You'd be surprised, the steep 28% crit requirement for Frost has rendered most of my fire gear actually BiS normal mode for frost, I only had to change some gems and reforge. Not really looking at sweeping changes gear wise.

This is not a requirement, just the point at which you should severely devalue crit as it no longer benefits you with Fingers of Frost and such. In fact since Haste is more highly valued you will probably not reach 28% crit in gear that's actually good for Frost, although like you my Fire gear has me at it.
getting annihilated by a 368 survival hunter....last 25% of stone guard not one pyroblast! cast. Frustrating and I do feel the spec is broken.

This is not a requirement, just the point at which you should severely devalue crit as it no longer benefits you with Fingers of Frost and such. In fact since Haste is more highly valued you will probably not reach 28% crit in gear that's actually good for Frost, although like you my Fire gear has me at it.

I mis-spoke, as you can see from my reforging I am prioritizing haste over crit, I just meant that Fire gear is often optimal for Frost because of the soft-cap.
My "Heated Up" proc keeps going away too. I get it, have it for 3 seconds and poof, gone.

Is this intended with the nerfs? Because it's irritating the hell out of me. I played Arcane for Wrath and Cata, and for Mists I decided I'd try Fire and was loving it, I'm not one who really cares about topping the charts, but when I can't even kill some bloody quest mobs (groups of 3-4) now without them beating on me, I feel like I'm leveling as Arcane again. (Which sucked for 5.0.4)
meanwhile in the rest of the world...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/dps/

Good job posting a link showing only samples from the last week.
http://i.imgur.com/KdsSQ.png

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Feng_the_Accursed/10N/all/7/30/default/

Yeah, it's pretty bad. That's median DPS from a weeks worth of parses. I mean, I'm playing frost now and dealing with it, but at the same time fire was my favorite spec and I'm really not enjoying playing frost or arcane.

I don't get why a nerf has to be so huge. I mean, couldn't they have done the math on this crap before the put out the patch?
DD forum thread collecting post-nerf parses:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7320452176
12/07/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Izzypookins
I don't get why a nerf has to be so huge. I mean, couldn't they have done the math on this crap before the put out the patch?

If they had only put it in the patch and not a hotfix a few days later, we would likely be much better off than we are currently. :P

Wow only 58k on Feng that is just depressing and we still have a day or two before we completly bottom out. I expected fire to be in the bottom 5 but not in running for dead last :-(
maybe it is the gear. at a 495 ilvl i wasnt really having much of a problem this week... two ranks for fire in HoF, even with a tons of errors... i really could have done so much better.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6t2jq1g7avverjwv/dashboard/?enc=kills
my dps went from 65k to 45k......was the worst thing ive ever seen in my life of wow.....20k dps lower since 5.1 patch, ran arcane.....did 60k.....5k less but still disappointed to the max. fire was my favorite spec because it was fun, a little mobile and i just love the element fire lol, but now we gotta play the boring arcane 1111111111211111131112211113 blah blah blah.....
12/07/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Elpadlol
maybe it is the gear. at a 495 ilvl i wasnt really having much of a problem this week... two ranks for fire in HoF, even with a tons of errors... i really could have done so much better.

Those are good parses El. Pretty steady really, not much variance that i can see. You did manage to have a particularly high crit percentage on every fight, which seems odd.
12/07/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Creedanse

Always nice to feel the love for my spec.