Class (mostly shadow) questions

Priest
Hello all,

I ran into a issue recently and I'm trying to figure what to do about it. Basically the issue I ran into was while I mained this mage through Cata, once reaching 90 I started to really dislike the new lvl 90 talents for the class. So I started trying to think of other classes I could switch to and possibly change to my main. After much debate I'm leaning towards priest but had one important question and a few minor ones to ask first.

Major
While I don't really outright refuse to heal, I really don't want to have to (bad experiences). So do you feel that playing a priest is worth it if all I play is shadow (this is for raiding and pvp).

Minor
1. How do you feel shadow dps is doing in raids.
2. Somewhat tied to the previous question but as shadow do you have any issues getting into raid groups not counting LFR (i.e. I have seen group outright refuse rogues due to sim's saying low dps).
3. Lastly if I do heal have they made healing a little easier to manage. I had a lvl 80 priest in wrath that I tried to heal with to help guild out and it seemed a little overwhelming with all the different heals and bubbles and what not (didn't end well after first raid). Though I might have not given it enough of a chance though.

Any and all help and opinions will be appreciated.
Honestly for dps, you are better off staying mage.

Holy and Disc are not in a good spot PvE wise from what I'm hearing (I may be wrong here) I for a fact that Disc is really bad in PvP.

Shadow PvE is boring I find, but if you like dealing with Multi doting every...single....trash...and boss...encounter go ahead. You will definitely have to be on your toes playing spriest in PvE, almost too much imo. I just get tired (mentally) after one instance due to having to focus Multi-Dotting everything.

You shouldn't struggle finding a raid group to bring in a spriest. If people are denying a certain class in a raid due to what simcraft says...they are 100% not worth your time to raid, socialize with, or breath the same virtual air your toon does.

Lastly to touch on your third point. Wrath was Wrath and lvl 80 was lvl 80...you are lvl 90 now and things are quite different. Holy and Disc aren't in the same places now as they were back then.
Major stuff
Priests are often mistaken for a healing class with a meh dps spec. But we're actually a Hybrid class that uniquely has two healing specs that play very differently from one another and have a fantastic PvP & PvE viable DPS spec that will stand against any other Hybrid or Pure (no more hybrid tax, never paid it anyways). I disagree with Alocin, I think that you should not stick with Mage, because if you are really not happy with where Mage is at and have a level 80 or 85 Priest it isn't that large of an investment to level it up and see if you like Shadow's DPS more. PvP wise Shadow has lost a lot of the ramp-up time for it's DoTs which has made Shadow PvP a little easier to jump into as a PvEr especially as you have all your CC right out of the box without sacrificing damage talents, and your base PvP resilience does give you a little more staying power that before when you had to build a PvP set before you stepped foot in a BG unless you wanted to get wrecked by folks. Shadow is a gear dependant spec (more than most) so be prepared to invest some time into gearing up if you are serious about excelling with the spec.

Minor stuff
1. Shadow DPS in raids is fine, there are some fights where we excel (e.g. Garalon, Elegon) and others where we sit in the middle of the pack. Most classes are doing well, some specs of pure are doing better than others but if you enjoy what you play you'll probably play better.

2. I've been raiding with the same guild since tBC, but I don't think I've heard of anyone with the types of complaints you are worried about, but maybe that's more of a server community thing.

3. I don't really know what 'healing easier to manage' means. Since you didn't really elaborate as to you previous healing experience I can't really say if now it's 'easier'. I can say that right now I don't think healing is the easiest it's been. Gear is (as it always has been) an important factor in both throughput and more importantly mana regeneration and maintenance of mana pools. In Wrath, mana didn't really have this role and early on in Cata the situation was reversed. I can say that in Mists it is still an important element of healing gameplay but isn't as frustrating an issue as it has been, unless you are on the cutting edge of content. I think if you are more comfortable DPSing you should stick to it.
Hey im 75 spriest and pretty much owning most classes in pvp. Does it stay like this up to 90 and endgame pvp?
12/06/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Psychosick
Hey im 75 spriest and pretty much owning most classes in pvp. Does it stay like this up to 90 and endgame pvp?

Yes PvP is completely unbalanced at endgame and when you hit 90 you are just given 2400 rating, High Warlord / Grand Marshal and 50000 Conquest points.
In MOP i have only done LFR. Have yet to try Heroic Raiding. Personally I dont consider msyelf to be as quick and snappy as i was with the mashing buttons back when WOW first started. Age and Arthritis has definately caught up to me. Even saying that, I normally end up top 5 in overall damage and DPS not doing anything really special except following the Icy Veins Strat for SP.

Is it boring? Sure, but then again what class doesnt have a specific rotation that they follow day in and day out, you know?
Chubbs
12/06/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Psychosick

Hard to say because know one here knows how good of a player you are.

If you are a good player than you will do well in pvp no matter what because pvp is more about playstyle and less deciding on whose better geared, but if you are average you may have to wait until you get gear to start having a shred of chance in a 1v1 fight.

To be honest with you from my experience, Shadow PvP just doesn't have the same kind of burst warriors, locks, BM hunters, shamans (to a degree), and mages do. If all you do is try to is out damage someone, you will fail horribly. If you use your utility more than you can severely screw over the enemy team and win.
I switched from mage to priest, and the fun-level is night and day. Shadow is competitive, and I'm finding disc is more than fine for healing. I'm not an experienced healer at all, but I hold my own just fine against our healer mainstays. Plus, that extra 30k dps doesn't hurt.
12/06/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Magideath
While I don't really outright refuse to heal, I really don't want to have to (bad experiences).

I do! Never play heals. In pvp, throw out shields, PoM, renew or even some flash heals for team mates. Can save ur butt and in the process ur own. I honestly don't see any other priests that help out team mates which I think we are great at. Especially burst with VE and halo, our off heals are great and can turn a battle. Just play smart.
Thanks for all the posts so far.

First to before I try to answer / explain, the biggest reason for my post was to try and get the general feel from the community on how they felt about shadow and to find out if it was worth using as a main spec with out basically getting weird looks or being told to switch to healing all the time (was one of the big reasons I stopped playing my priest in the past).

For the people saying shadows rotation is boring it really does not bug me in the slightest. If it wasn't for disliking the lvl 90 talents I would be fine staying with my arcane mage which most find to be a boring spec.

To try to explain my comment on healing, basically while I had no real issue healing 5 mans once I progressed to raiding things obviously became a lot harder. The two biggest problems was mana management and trying to not over heal which made me feel / have to use all the different heals we had (my druid buddy only really seemed to have to only use 2-4 heals max while I seemed to have 8-10 different heals / shields to deal with). As for the bad experience the guild I was with at the time due to losing a healer had me come to the raid before I felt like I was skilled / geared up enough for it (I did mention this but was told not to worry about it), the raid went from there normal partial clear to basically wiping repeatedly on the first boss. While no one out right blamed me I was never invited back to a raid with that guild again and in the end had to leave it and my friends that were in it at the time since they wouldn't even let me come to raids on my other characters.

As for what I want out of the class. To be able to do decent dps (don't care about 1st but don't want to be last), to be decent at pvp (more willing to be healer for this), and lastly to hopefully like the look and feel of the class. Not sure the answer to the first two but as for the last one, I'm so far liking the look of the class especially some of the new minor glyphs they got and as for feel as long as the game play hasn't changed to much I had no problem with it before.

Thanks again for all the post and possibly future posts.

As for what I want out of the class. To be able to do decent dps (don't care about 1st but don't want to be last), to be decent at pvp (more willing to be healer for this), and lastly to hopefully like the look and feel of the class. Not sure the answer to the first two but as for the last one, I'm so far liking the look of the class especially some of the new minor glyphs they got and as for feel as long as the game play hasn't changed to much I had no problem with it before.

Thanks again for all the post and possibly future posts.

IMO, You will do perfectly fine with the SP then.