Can Death Knights forge a Runeblade, instead?

Death Knight
From what I can gather about the new Legendary items in Mists of Pandaria, it seems as though you're going to be "cleansing" these Sha-touched items, restoring them to their "purified", Legendary status.

To me, that just doesn't seem befitting of a Death Knight (or a Warlock, for that matter).

Instead, I would like to see an alternative offered for Death Knights, in which we forge a wholly new Runeblade. Using otherworldly elements of Ghost Iron, and twisting the Sha's powers to serve and further fuel our necromantic powers, I think it's time we are able to wield a weapon of truly terrifying power and form. Something so powerful, so vile that it would immediately corrupt a Paladin or Warrior, that only the hands of a hardened agent of the Ebon Blade could wield safely.

Obviously, I'm thinking a Two-handed Sword. Also, something with a more traditional shape; I don't want another weapon with a curved blade, but rather something with a more gothic appearance, that comes straight down into a point. And finally, I would prefer it to be a weapon that sheathes at our waist, to give us more of that "knightly" sort of appearance.

Beyond that... I'm all ears! Or eyes, I guess. Maybe we could forge our new Runeblade using the soul of Lilian Voss as our first victim?
While I get you are asking for something this expansion to be like that, Technically we already had that with Shadowmourne. The only reason warriors and Pallys were allowed to use it was simply gameplay mechanics, lore wise it's obviously owned by a Death Knight (maybe even Darion himself) due to the dark rituals we used on it's base form of Arthas old paladin hammer and corrupted all the goodness out of it.
A two handed sword. That sheathes at our waist. Ok.

And how exactly do you know what's going to happen with the legendary? We don't know anything about it whatsoever yet.
12/09/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Maldazzar
Using otherworldly elements of Ghost Iron, and twisting the Sha's powers to serve and further fuel our necromantic powers

Now that just sounds like the Lich King talking! Go to your room and think about what you have said mister!

And how exactly do you know what's going to happen with the legendary? We don't know anything about it whatsoever yet.

I don't know anything for certain, I'm only going off of the basis that, by the looks of things, it would *appear* that Sha-touched weapons will eventually become Legendaries. I could be completely wrong, of course, but it's certainly not a stretch.

Also, throughout Mankind's long and illustrious history of violence, rarely have swords ever been sheathed on one's back. More often than not, they're sheathed at the waist, namely for convenience (particularly for curved blades), and also for a more "regal" sort of appearance. Considering even Arthas himself wore Frostmourne at his waist, I can't imagine it seeing so strange to have another 2hand Sword at the hip.
12/10/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Maldazzar
Also, throughout Mankind's long and illustrious history of violence, rarely have swords ever been sheathed on one's back. More often than not, they're sheathed at the waist, namely for convenience (particularly for curved blades), and also for a more "regal" sort of appearance. Considering even Arthas himself wore Frostmourne at his waist, I can't imagine it seeing so strange to have another 2hand Sword at the hip.

Its not about appearence, its about mechanics. Blizzard designed 2H weapons to go on the back when sheathed. To change that would simply not be worth the development resources. And do you know how awkward it would be to carry a sword of that size on the hip? Asian cultures didn't use heavy blades, and european knights had squires carry theirs. Why? Because with all that bulky armor you don't want another 30-40 pounds on your back or hip. And Arthas is no a good example. He's, like, 10 feet tall in game.

That being said, I would like to see runeforging used to create Deathknight specific runeblades. Recipes totally separate from Blacksmithing for one handed and two handed swords and axes could be added to runeforging for each expac, that would require materials from that xpac to forge. It would mainly be used for transmog purposes and to create appropiate weapons for the death knights level.

I don't know anything for certain, I'm only going off of the basis that, by the looks of things, it would *appear* that Sha-touched weapons will eventually become Legendaries. I could be completely wrong, of course, but it's certainly not a stretch.

Have you seen WoW 2 handers? I'd rather have the unrealistic sheath on my back than have my weapon clipping into the ground. I'm fairly sure that in all man's years on this planet, none have shot fire out of their hands either.

And it doesn't really seem like you have any basis for the purification idea, so yeah.
12/10/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Karaahl

Its not about appearence, its about mechanics. Blizzard designed 2H weapons to go on the back when sheathed. To change that would simply not be worth the development resources. And do you know how awkward it would be to carry a sword of that size on the hip? Asian cultures didn't use heavy blades, and european knights had squires carry theirs. Why? Because with all that bulky armor you don't want another 30-40 pounds on your back or hip. And Arthas is no a good example. He's, like, 10 feet tall in game.

That being said, I would like to see runeforging used to create Deathknight specific runeblades. Recipes totally separate from Blacksmithing for one handed and two handed swords and axes could be added to runeforging for each expac, that would require materials from that xpac to forge. It would mainly be used for transmog purposes and to create appropiate weapons for the death knights level.

They also designs 1handers to sheath at the hip, yet some clearly sit on your back. I'm sure Blizzard has the technical prowess to allow a single Runeblade to hang at your waist instead of your back :P

I will say, though, I really do dig that idea for Runeforging. It would be a fantastic way to get some more Scourge-based weapons, without having to bring the Scourge back whole-ham or wind up in the hands of Paladins.
If warlocks get to have a green cosmetic fires. Why can't we get a nice stuff and have more options? :P
12/10/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Uzuko
If warlocks get to have a green cosmetic fires. Why can't we get a nice stuff and have more options? :P
cuz dks cant have nice things
Some more class specific non-combat coolness would be a welcome change. I think every class would like this sort of thing. It probably comes down to development time/resources required for this and other tasks that have higher priority, like everything else.

We can dream though :)
12/10/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Maldazzar
Considering even Arthas himself wore Frostmourne at his waist, I can't imagine it seeing so strange to have another 2hand Sword at the hip

Tirion Fordring has The Ashbringer on his waist too. Varian Wrynn sheathes his *now two hander* sword on his hip.

Ps.. So does Sephiroth.. Enough said..

And do you know how awkward it would be to carry a sword of that size on the hip? Asian cultures didn't use heavy blades, and european knights had squires carry theirs. Why? Because with all that bulky armor you don't want another 30-40 pounds on your back or hip. And Arthas is no a good example. He's, like, 10 feet tall in game.

Then Blizz needs to give me a little man-child to follow me around. (much like the squire "pet" from the Argent Tournament) His name will be "Sheath" and he will carry my sword for me.

Ps. I lol'd at the whole.. Arthas being 10 feet tall thing.. It's so true.
I hate the idea of sheathing a 2hander at hip. (Ashkandi at hip eww no ty)

Blizz should however, give the option to sheath 1h/2h to hip or back, depending on player preferance.

This just adds a new dimension to transmogging/itemization, and I like it.

Also the Runeforging skill of swordcrafting is a sweet idea, I agree and vote that up. Cheers!
Or they could just make a glyph for it. Simple enough right? lol
I remember there being a 2h sword that sheathed to the hip in Cata. I believe it was blacksmith crafted item.

Regardless of where it sheathes, it's time for a 2h sword legendary. We already had a 2h axe. We had a 2h mace. I want a damn sword.

At the very least, can we have a death knight only quest line where at the end we get a special weapon (even giving us several to choose from)? The normal classes get this at level 20, so why not one for us at level 90? If Blizz dosn't want it to affect game balance, then make it a transmog only item.
Something to match the challenge mode transmog set. Because I need a holy looking rune blade to match the metal murloc suit with spikes.
12/12/2012 07:32 AMPosted by Xàvek
Something to match the challenge mode transmog set. Because I need a holy looking rune blade to match the metal murloc suit with spikes.

Actually, Quel'Delar matched it beautifully. If you can actually get the Challenge Armor, I've not found a better-looking weapon for the set.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Legendary Two-handed sword that looks like the Ebon Blade's banner. You could literally just call it "The Ebon Blade".
12/13/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Maldazzar

Actually, Quel'Delar matched it beautifully. If you can actually get the Challenge Armor, I've not found a better-looking weapon for the set.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a Legendary Two-handed sword that looks like the Ebon Blade's banner. You could literally just call it "The Ebon Blade".

Except it was Darion Mograine of the Ebon Blade who has us forge Shadowmourne (lore wise it's a DK only weapon due to the unholy rituals we performed on it, only reason Warriors and Paladins got to use it was for gameplay mechanics since it was a 2h weapon.) So Technically your idea of an "Ebon Blade" already came to fruition with the making of Shadowmourne, the Ebon Blades single greatest weapon creation.
Death Knights were created as a weapon for Arthas. The corruption around them stymies from the powers used to keep them alive after death. The Sha are physical projections of emotion amplified to the point of becoming life threatening. By purifying the Sha you are not taking away corruption because it isn't actually corrupted. It is unbalanced.

The Sha as shown by their color scheme are pretty much the Yin/Yang balance thrown off balance. It could be argued that because Death Knights are supposed to harness hatred that they also are off balance, but personally I don't think that is the case. By reverting the Sha weapons to their original state, the wielder allows itself to harness both the Yin and the Yang side of the weapon in perfect harmony.

This expansion seems to be going off of the whole "Balance must be preserved" platform, with the Alliance and Horde constantly fighting, but always "staying equal", and heroes fighting the Sha to counteract their actions, so this is just my opinion on the situation derived from nothingness in my head.
Death Knights were created as a weapon for Arthas. The corruption around them stymies from the powers used to keep them alive after death. The Sha are physical projections of emotion amplified to the point of becoming life threatening. By purifying the Sha you are not taking away corruption because it isn't actually corrupted. It is unbalanced.

The Sha as shown by their color scheme are pretty much the Yin/Yang balance thrown off balance. It could be argued that because Death Knights are supposed to harness hatred that they also are off balance, but personally I don't think that is the case. By reverting the Sha weapons to their original state, the wielder allows itself to harness both the Yin and the Yang side of the weapon in perfect harmony.

This expansion seems to be going off of the whole "Balance must be preserved" platform, with the Alliance and Horde constantly fighting, but always "staying equal", and heroes fighting the Sha to counteract their actions, so this is just my opinion on the situation derived from nothingness in my head.

Hmm, well that is certainly an interesting take. I might have to mull that over for a little while to fully grasp it, but you may very well bring up a good point... It does bring into question, though, as to where Death Knights stand in relation to the Sha. Considering that Death Knights, by their very definition and nature are consumed and indeed empowered by negative emotion, wouldn't they essentially be "Sha-batteries"?

Also, when I said that I'd like to wield an "Ebon Blade banner", I wasn't simply referring to a weapon made in the image of the Ebon Blade. I mean the literal banner they use, as you can see here:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=42480

http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/resized/97315.jpg

The same blade that's on the Ebon Blade's Tabard, and seen near their many settlements in Northrend. Basically, I think Shadowmourne itself was little more than a cop-out, and there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it was given to players instead of Frostmourne *purely* because Warrior's could only wield Axes, because of Axe-specialization.

Frostmourne aside, I think most Death Knights would agree that nothing makes you really feel immersed in your Class as when you're wielding a true Runeblade. Considering we got nothing in Cataclysm, and very little even in Wrath of the Lich King proper, I think getting a new weapon-design would be well-recieved. Like I said, I quite like the thought of something with a bit of Lore behind it, which is why I suggested making it an "alternate Legendary" exclusively for DK's.