Enh dps

Shaman
I have noticed in dungeons and by questing my enh shammy does probly the most single target dps than any of my characters so far. Is it like this end game to. I really like the single target. Aoe is crapppy tho
AoE is fickle, you really need to use every UE on fire novas and make sure not to use them on flame shock.
Aoe is ok, just takes a lot of setup is all
lol, I love my aoe I always like top the dps charts in aoe...
12/10/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Plutoswave
Until someone brings in a semi-competent warlock.
12/09/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Coptar
I have noticed in dungeons and by questing my enh shammy does probly the most single target dps than any of my characters so far. Is it like this end game to. I really like the single target. Aoe is crapppy tho

We have the ability to line up proper burst on demand. At end game, this burst persists. Our sustained DPS is good, but no, we are not the best.
12/09/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Zerovii
AoE is fickle, you really need to use every UE on fire novas and make sure not to use them on flame shock.

Using it on Flame Shock actually isn't much of a loss, and in some situations it can be a gain. Spreading a buffed Flame Shock causes the new ones to tick at the 30% increased damage, so unleashing a Flame Shock you're about to spread isn't bad at all.

Enhancement sustained AoE is honestly among the best in the game. It has a fairly high skill requirement, but is highly mobile and very powerful in large groups that live a while. In heroic dungeons or whatever it's average.

Enhancement is in a very good place in almost all areas of damage dealing, great burst (especially in larger groups with Stormlash), great sustained single target, great sustained AoE. We also don't have any meaningful ramp up time in single target situations. The only weakness is mobility, but even there we have our advantages - nobody can zip from one end of Blade Lord Ta'yak's hallway to the other faster than we can thanks to Ghost Wolf and Spirit Walk stacking multiplicatively.

One last advantage is the fact that our cooldowns don't synergize with each other very much, meaning they are powerful on their own, so if encounters call for splitting them up it doesn't hurt us like it might many other specs that get a lot of benefit from stacking them... Warriors and Ret Paladins are examples.
Dunno, after seeing all the parses for Mel'jarak or other aoe heavy fights and no shaman at all in the top 250+ leads me to believe our aoe dps is still marginal at best. Yes I realize that's cherrypicking one fight out of several, but the fact that phase 1 relies heavily on aoe damage and that the highest enhance damage is nowhere near the top 200 leads me to the conclusion that it may be a bit lacking. And yes I'm discounting the tanks with their vengeance buff cheesiness.
The only DPS ahead of Enhancement by a meaningful degree on Mel'jarak are Demonology Warlocks, and Fire Mages, but they were just on the receiving end of a heavy nerf. Among melee specs, Enhancement performs admirably, and that is with what is typically a smaller sample size than most other specs (there simply aren't that many Enhance out there). It's also an awkward number of targets, 10-15 targets and we're a lot better. 5-7 is going to be average for us. On 15 targets, not a spec in the game would compare.
Not sure what you're talking about Coptar... I love dealing AOE damage

Try this for your AOE rotation next time. The key is to Lava Lash the same target you Shocked:

<Running In>Searing Totem, Unleash Elements, Flame Shock <Melee Range>Stormstrike, Lava Lash, Fire Nova.

After this, resume your single-target rotation, but use Fire Nova on cooldown (approx 2 GCDs). So perhaps you could Earth Shock, pop Ferals, then Fire Nova again. use two more abilities, then Fire Nova again. Reapply Lava Lash a Flamed target on CD, and reapply FS as needed.
Enhance AoE is fine, not great, not bad. It gets wrecked by plenty of classes though: Monks, DKs, Hunters, etc.

It basically depends on the number of targets and the length of the AoE fight. The longer/more targets, the more targets we spread our flame shock to over the course of the fight, the more fire nova hits.
12/10/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Plutoswave

unless you're trying to do AOE to things with under 40k health.
<Running In>Searing Totem, Unleash Elements, Flame Shock <Melee Range>Stormstrike, Lava Lash, Fire Nova.

Err... not quite.

For one, Magma or Fire Elemental for AOE.
Also you want to replace Lightning bolt with Chain Lightning