Shadow Lock and Fire Lock

Warlock
I am not sure if this has always been there or not, but lately I have been getting "Shadow lock" a lot and every now and then I get "Fire locked" which puts all my spells of that school on lock down for 8 seconds so i can not use any them. I am wondering if this is new, I am doing something to cause it, or if there is anything i can do to prevent it. I currently play an 86 Demonology Warlock.

I have searched the forum looking for Shadow Lock, and all i get it a bunch of forums of Warlock vs Shadow priest.

So any insight would be grateful.
Were you pvping when this happened? If you were maybe you got interrupted while you were casting. For example if you were fighting rogue and he used kick while you were casting shadow bolt then you would get shadow lock.

Some pve bosses also interrupt and the words "shadow lock" popping up on your screen is part of the new loss of control add on that blizz added last patch. Tells you when you've been stun feared silenced and interrupted.
Were you pvping when this happened? If you were maybe you got interrupted while you were casting. For example if you were fighting rogue and he used kick while you were casting shadow bolt then you would get shadow lock.

Some pve bosses also interrupt and the words "shadow lock" popping up on your screen is part of the new loss of control add on that blizz added last patch. Tells you when you've been stun feared silenced and interrupted.

I do not PVP, as for raid bosses I have not had it happen on the bosses but on some of trash before, a few *minutes* before my first post I was going to try and solo icc (quickly learned it was not going to happen though) and the part right before the bone boss(1st) i was going 1on1 with one of the big bone warriors and it happened twice in a row.

other instance it happened in was Karazame(I don't know if that is spelled right) and again i was only fighting trash, other times it happens while questing
it's always been in the game, just not as obnoxious.
12/07/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Eatmoarhuman
it's always been in the game, just not as obnoxious.

Thank you that is one thing I wanted to know, is there a way to prevent it or is it just random?
Ah you must have been interrupted by the mobs because I remember those bone warriors used to interrupt me. To prevent that all you have to do is stop casting when you see them about to use their interrupt spells.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=71022

When you see the bone guy casting that, stop casting whatever spell you using. The mobs in kara prolly have a similar spell. Just watch what spell they're casting.
Now if you mean you just want to block the words from popping on you screen ( it can get annoying) then all you have to do is go to interface and disable the loss of control addon
When you get "interrupted" by some skills while casting, it locks the entire spell type same as the one you were casting for a couple of seconds.
Shadow is a spell school

You got locked out of shadow (hence, Shadow Lock) which means you cant cast any shadow spells for a short duration.

Same with Fire
Basically what happened is that a mob cast counterspell or pummel on you, or an equivalent spell. It stops your cast and prevents you from casting another spell in the same school for a short duration.

There are ways to avoid this with some mobs (e.g. stay out of melee range of melee mobs) and with others the only way to avoid it is to stop casting.
Thank you all for your help.
As an aside: Soloing ICC 10 is very doable when you get to 90 and get some gear.
Spend some time leveling! :)