boomkin sha of fear CD's

Druid
I have a couple questions. When should I blow cooldowns on this fight? My guild was telling me on the platform boss but we can kill him without my cd's and with how many orbs I have to get I barely have time to take advantage of my cooldowns. I have to get so many orbs o_O They aren't letting me use them in the beginning when we hero but I've been considering trying to use them with the damage buff we get afterkilling the platform panda.

Edit: I was hoping tank would get most the orbs but he's definately not as aware of them when they spawn as I would like.
I use my CDs during: Opener, after any Ominous Crackle.

12/09/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Stratis
They aren't letting me use them in the beginning when we hero but I've been considering trying to use them with the damage buff we get afterkilling the platform panda.

That is probably the stupidest idea I've ever heard. The buff is simply not that good. Heroic Wind Lord? Yes, save your CDs for the 1500% damage increase phase. 20% damage for 30sec, iirc? Tell whoever said "Don't use your CDs during Bloodlust" that he/she is wrong. What if you don't get picked for 3min? Seems like a complete waste of a cooldown usage. The first crackle doesn't go out until 30sec or so into the fight...

I average 100k on Sha of Fear (due to how combat logs are recorded, you need to be the one running logs to see the real parse, of course). Losing your BL+CD opener is probably a 15k DPS loss. Trust me, the buff isn't special. The encounter is very simple and really does not require saving CDs of any kind; though burning CDs, wasted by Crackle, is poor gameplay.

In a 25man setting, we have the tank and healer grab orbs, with DPS grabbing a few that drop nearby. I'm not sure on the 10man mechanics, but the tank shouldn't be able to get them all; though, the tank should get the greater majority.
It is indeed a great dps loss to not use cooldowns in the opening hero. It's kind of mean to call it the stupidest idea you've ever heard to use them after the panda dies though. Even if it's only a 20% increase it's still a decent damage boost to blow cooldowns with and multidot the adds and fear. You also know you will have all the free time you need to kill stuff without needing to move much (and you have a massive speed boost to assist positioning) at all until your 30 second damage boost buff falls off.

The only issue I have is that you can end up in the wrong place on eclipse bar when panda dies but I'm considering if it's worthwhile to astral commune closer to lunar before teleporting out or to simply try to move closer to lunar when panda is close to dieing and simply not let myself push over.

Is it really THAT bad of an idea if I'm finding that cooldowns just aren't helping as much as I would like on panda platform? I think I can stay around around 75 - 80k dps or so on fear but you outgear me and carry more crit (I grab the haste breakpoint because I'm a baddie). I should regear a bit better for boomy since my raid team has brought in another healer so I've been just dpsing lately (but one healer switches to a warlock when we 2 heal <_<...). How big of a difference would you say wild charge makes compared to feline swiftness? I've considered switching because I can definately see some good applications.
If you don't need the cooldowns specifically for the pandas, you should not bother saving them for the platform. If you know you'll waste a good chunk of the cooldowns on the pandas, then you hold them.

Back to the saving CDs on the opener, there's no reason to save them because you don't need the cooldowns. If you save your CDs every 3min for 1min (4min every use), you may lose out of a cooldown usage.
Strathis,

After many hours on this boss on 10m (not sure if you are doing 25m or not) and finally downing it last night these are the realities of that fight:

it's a DPS race but not on the boss, on the platform adds. if your DPS is high enough to get through the platforms ahead of time, you will never die to enrage. I was saving both Inc/NV and CA for the first platform. since the crackles are 1:30 apart you will always have full CDs up for every platform with no downtime in 10m.

Between the damage buff after you get back from the platform and your tanks insane vengeance the bosses health goes down pretty quickly. plus if you have good DPS you will have moments where there won't be many if any adds up and you can focus the boss. As a Dotter you will dot up the boss at all times anyway especially during the fears. When you roll that all together you should never hit the enrage even if you pop your CDs on the platforms.

ideally of course it would be nice to have high enough DPS so that no one has to pop CDs on the platform but even if you do pop CDs on every platform you will still kill the boss on 10m as long as everyone stays alive.

PP
Forgot to add: your tanks and healers should be getting all of the orbs unless one smacks you right in the face. Running around during that part just destroys raid DPS and will cause you to wipe. if the tanks and healers can't get the orbs tell then not to bother even attempting that fight.

pp
12/11/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Pippilongear
Running around during that part just destroys raid DPS and will cause you to wipe.

As does forcing the tank to run out of melee every 5 seconds, especially when they're actually good at DPSing (sad as it sounds, I'm actually competitive with our DPSers just about every platform add, and we have no trouble downing them on time. A decent tank is basically another DPSer when it comes to those adds).

Then again, I'm just bitter from spending a good 15-20s+ on those platforms running around like an idiot because DPS that don't even beat me can't be arsed to move.

Not asking moonkins to be like our hunter (yay for 0 dps loss while moving) and run around getting every orb ever. But please don't just stand right at the landing spot the entire time like our shaman :P.
Ahans,

good point on the DPS but what you don't mention is the benefit you get from picking up orbs: endless rage which allows you to spam maul whereas a boomkin will only Regen mana...big deal. The way we did it, tanks and healer grabbed the first few and melee DPS like warrior, etc can grab a few but we wanted the healer to go back to Sha pretty much topped off with mana.

pp
Forgot to add: your tanks and healers should be getting all of the orbs unless one smacks you right in the face. Running around during that part just destroys raid DPS and will cause you to wipe. if the tanks and healers can't get the orbs tell then not to bother even attempting that fight.

pp

It's not causing us to wipe as of our last few pulls but we are barely killing it in time. I'm running clear across the platform as boomkin to get an orb about to heal the boss and just spamming moonfire/sunfire. I get so little up time on my rotation that it's frustrating. I understand that it's an execution fight and that with the 15 minute enrage there is almost no worry about wiping to enrage as long as you do things right. I'm still going to maximize my dps where possible if cooldowns aren't neccessary for the platform. I think I'll just leave the orbs farther away from me alone and if the tank/healer or another dps can't get it I'll just let it heal the boss. Anything within 5 yards of me I feel pretty obligated to get though and I'm sure I'd have people screaming at me if it doesn't look like i'm trying. Our raid lead can freak out so bad about things even though he likes to play all calm and collected when we're not in the middle of a fight.
12/11/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Pippilongear
good point on the DPS but what you don't mention is the benefit you get from picking up orbs: endless rage which allows you to spam maul whereas a boomkin will only Regen mana...big deal. The way we did it, tanks and healer grabbed the first few and melee DPS like warrior, etc can grab a few but we wanted the healer to go back to Sha pretty much topped off with mana.

While in some ways a point... I refresh that buff before it wears off more often than not. Most of it is just wasted time, and even the rage it gives me isn't worth much. Outside of something like hunters (again, lol 0DPS loss while moving), orbs are best handled by quickly spreading out at the beginning of the platform and everyone just getting what's near them.

If you just sit at the starting point and tunnel like our shaman... well I'm not going to like you. A lot of the posts in here came across as exactly that.
I have a couple questions. When should I blow cooldowns on this fight? My guild was telling me on the platform boss but we can kill him without my cd's and with how many orbs I have to get I barely have time to take advantage of my cooldowns. I have to get so many orbs o_O They aren't letting me use them in the beginning when we hero but I've been considering trying to use them with the damage buff we get afterkilling the platform panda.

Edit: I was hoping tank would get most the orbs but he's definately not as aware of them when they spawn as I would like.

Should get used to using them on platforms, getting out of that phase faster = more damage on boss, no matter if you have your CDs w/ the buff or not. You really need to get off of the platform. You also shouldn't be eating orbs as much as you make it sound like you are; they are for healers and hunters.

In my guild we would kill the dude on our platform before the next crackle and it was a lot more DPS all around on the boss than by taking it slow and having to play catch up on adds by the time we got back.