A Resto Shroom Idea...

Druid
Here's an idea I thought up that could add an interesting spin to 'shrooms without making them grossly overpowered.

Glyph of Blooming Shrooms: Your Wild Mushroom now sprouts 3 mushrooms and then blooms automatically after 4.5secs, but now has a 15 second cooldown.

So essentially you have a fire-and-forget heal that you can plant quickly, but you have no control over the explosion, so you'll need to time the spell based on group movements. This adds a layer of difficulty in management, as you have to prepare for outgoing damage, while still allowing you to get the benefits of Wild Mushrooms in one GCD. You are essentially trading total control of when the shrooms explode for the ability to use them without spending those same 4.5 seconds on GCDs planting them. The cooldown could be adjusted to fit, of course, and they still won't be as efficient as Wild Growth, as they lack the smart heal, but well-timed Mushrooms could be very exciting on fights like Garalon or Wind Lord, or even the bosses in Isle of Conquest.
I had the same thought about planting all three at once. That would be a much improved change. I like your ideas but I think they dont go far enough. I still want to control the bloom but I think having them leave a healing circle, kind of like effervescence, would be a good improvement. Similar to a shamans healing rain. This could even act just like effervescence and give 100% of the initial burst back as a hot for like 10 sec or so. Or maybe adjust that number to give us another alternative to wild growth which seems a little weak for aoe heals lately.
I can't support a heal with both location factors and time delay. If that were implemented, there had better be a big trade off for actually getting it correct.

Test to see if you can get the timing right: Let the "bloom" portion of Lifebloom act as your main direct heal on a tank. That means timing your LB so that it heals something that will happen 12 seconds from now.

But you've got to make it harder. In addition to timing the casting of your heal for something happening in the future, you also need to know where in space it will happen.

I'd like a one-placement mushroom that acts like a Healing Rain, creating a circle of AoE HoT.
That would be a much improved change. I like your ideas but I think they dont go far enough.

The problem is balancing usability with potency. You want it good enough that during an AoE situation its worth casting, but not something you want to spam on CD. Unless they change the mana cost, any sort of "Healing Rains" type change would simply be a rotational heal, seeing as it would only cost the equivalent of two Lifeblooms and could hit the entire melee group if they are stacked properly.

Test to see if you can get the timing right: Let the "bloom" portion of Lifebloom act as your main direct heal on a tank. That means timing your LB so that it heals something that will happen 12 seconds from now.

Lifebloom isn't the best example, as even glyphed with Blooming its shortest length is 10 seconds (over twice as long as the suggested 3 GCD time), but timing blooms is done in PvP. A better example is a long (3.0 sec or greater) cast like Nourish or Healing Touch, or an old school Holy Light. If the bloom happens 3secs after its planted, then it should be easy to manage, as most boss spells run around this time, anyways. As an example, imagine Wind Lord; he's just started casting his AoE, so you drop the 'shroom, cast a Wild Growth, and Swiftmend a target. You've now spent the same amount of GCDs as setting a full stack of 'shrooms currently and everyone has taken a healthy chunk when suddenly it blooms and you get a sudden burst of healing that is unlikely to be over-heals, and are in addition to those GCDs you DIDN'T waste planting. It's practically found money at the slight challenge of needing to be aware of positioning; no different than a Healing Rain except for a delay that is effectively like a long cast and a bit of flavor in the blooming aspect.

But you've got to make it harder. In addition to timing the casting of your heal for something happening in the future, you also need to know where in space it will happen.

Your typical raid is going to have general sections in which the personnel congregate; you could also counter this by increasing the bloom radius to 25y or something, in order to catch a wider group. Generally tweakable.

I'd like a one-placement mushroom that acts like a Healing Rain, creating a circle of AoE HoT.

I wouldn't turn down a Healing Rain clone, but would Blizzard, after all the commentary about homogenization, willingly lean towards such a situation? Unlikely. Not only that, a Healing Rain clone that would allow you to preset it by casting a shroom and then choosing exactly when to pop it would be even more potent than the original.
I've said over and over that it should just be a Living Bomb type spell. Blizzard says they want it to be unique, but honestly (maybe I'm alone in feeling this way), Mushrooms are not a fun spell to use. They're a pain. I hated them as Boomkin, no matter how good they are, and I'll hate them as Resto.

My suggestion is to just make an animation similar to the Mushrooms in Underbog; a mushroom growing on a target and exploding for AoE healing, so basically a Living Bomb / AoE Lifebloom type spell.

Honestly though, I wish they'd just scrap the spell and go back to the drawing board. Maybe then they could make Boomkin something other than an AoE niche spec as well.
Mushrooms do feel clunky. I'd rather attach them to a person than the ground, that would be cool and heal for more.
I posted this in another thread...I'll post it here as well for feedback:

For mushrooms...what do you all think about this.

1. 1 GCD to plant
2. Bloom has a base heal amount but heals fewer people so that the heal is actually worth it
3. Bloom triggers a secondary effect where either all hots or perhaps just any rejuvs ticking on bloom targets instantly heal for the entire remaining duration of the hot. Rejuvs are consumed by this effect.
4. CD increased to 1 minute

This would allow for a bit of extra burst on a few select targets while the base bloom heal heals most of the raid for x amount. Consumed hots would be of varying strengths so it's not like 10 full duration rejuvs 'blooming' so that limits it's overall power. Rejuvs are expensive over use for this purpose would drain mana fairly quickly so that's also maybe a good limiting factor to overuse.

Ghostcrawler said he didn't just want another spell on a CD etc and wanted variety. To me this is kind of a unique way to make mushrooms fun and useful. They might even save a couple lives this way.
Rather than having to manually place them, why not that monk fire flower thing that drops down at your feet, can be spread out if you run around? Wanting to be quick I'd assume most people would place all 3 mushrooms at the same place anyway.
There isn't a shortage of ideas on ways to improve the mushroom spell. There's a lot of problems with it and an infinite way to fix them.

The problem in my opinion is this idea of situational uses. GC and other developers on interviews have said they want Mushrooms to be a situational spell. Now, this has some merit but the problem is just *how* situational spells can be and how that limits them.

Slightly off topic rant...

A good similarity to another class is the priest spell Lightwell. It took them almost 3 expansions to actually make lightwell decent (from what I've been told). It was easily their most mana efficient heal when it was put into the game, but it required a cast time, accurate positioning, another player to have the awareness/sense to click it, and even after that any damage the player would take would cancel the HoT. And it was a talent priests had to spec. And a player could click it multiple times and consume all the charges while overwriting the HoT.

So no priest ever got it, and then they made it a base ability. And no priest ever casted it. So they fixed the multiple clicks, and then sometimes rarely some priests would use it. It went through a lot of changes over two expansions where it was steadily buffed one piece at a time (more charges, more durations, larger HoT, larger range to be clicked).

The base problem is the same as the problem with Mushrooms. This idea of "situational" spells doesn't agree with the simple user-base unless it's *very* good at what it is. If Lightwell had 1 charge but healed for an entire health pool, it'd be right beside the tank every single fight and would always be used.

Situational spells have to be very good at the situation they are designed to tackle.

What situation is Mushrooms supposed to solve? It's a poor design decision from the developers in my opinion, because just like Lightwell it wasn't really designed with a situation in mind, or not one that I can see. Lightwell didn't do anymore than a Renew, and Mushroom doesn't do anything more than a poor Wild Growth spread across multiple targets for less healing and a clunky casting mechanic with limitations of positioning and cast time.

I can see many situations where it would be nice, such as a large burst of healing when the raid is taking a lot of damage. Throw a 3 minute cooldown and 4x the healing with no diminishing returns or a max # of targets and it's suddenly a great situational spell.

I've seen a lot of ideas (and presented some myself) on the fourms to improve the spell. There's no shortage of ideas placed out there. But if the developers insist on making narrowly-situational spells I fear that the mushrooms are going to go through the same pain that Lightwell went through.